Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

After upgrading my ST16 do I need to do a firmware upgrade?

If the wire is not broken it should be fine to tape separately.

If the wire is not broken it should be fine to tape separately.
Awesome! It is flattened a little from being squashed down, but it's still intact so should hopefully pass a current through it.
I cant believe I did something so silly, and yet so simple... twice!!! A squashed wire and an unclipped plug for the antenna line. I'm pretty confident everything else looks right.
(well, compared to the others I have seen in the video walk throughs on you tube for the mods that I did.)
Seriously, thanks again for your help. I will go ahead and tape it and put it all back together and see if it works better now.

If you have plastic safe contact cleaner handy give the potentiometers on the sticks a shot before you close it up. I also noticed the right stick left/right was a little off center in the FlightLog files.

Once you get everything together and test it upload The FlightLog again with the new data.

No need to put it all the way back together. Just put the back of the controller in place, plug in the battery, and check to see if it fixed the problem. Either hardware monitor or the final output display will show the result. Then complete the assembly if all looks good.
I compared your other wiring to mine, and yours looks fine.

Reactions: Seachange01
No need to put it all the way back together. Just put the back of the controller in place, plug in the battery, and check to see if it fixed the problem. Either hardware monitor or the final output display will show the result. Then complete the assembly if all looks good.
I compared your other wiring to mine, and yours looks fine.
So, I put it all back together, and it seems good so far.
I was able to start it up.. kind of. I live about a mile from the Ontario CA airport, so inside my apartment here when I turn it on, well... it just doesn't like my neighborhood and gives me warnings about no fly zone.. or if I turn GPS off.. I get warnings for that and so on. But, I WAS able to start it and stop it, and I get beeps now when I hit the start button so I am sure it's sending signals although it wont start right now - but I think that is due to the red and white fast flashing lights. (I will check what that combination means in a moment).
Overall though, I feel positive like it should/will work. I will head out for a flight today away from home and the airport :) I still have total camera control etc too.
I currently have the 3 regular antenna's on instead of the 4hawks, only cause it was quicker to do here at home inside. I will try it with the 4hawks outside after a fly with these antenna's.
Seriously, thankyou SO MUCH for your help, if you are ever in So cal, yell out, lunch is on me!!
I'll update with a screen shot to add to this post in a few moments.

Attachments

• 20210215_090458.jpg
    20210215_090458.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That is good news. Do you know you are near the first home of Yuneec USA? There offices were in a building at the airport business area.

The red and white flashing of the main LED is an NFZ warning.

That is good news. Do you know you are near the first home of Yuneec USA? There offices were in a building at the airport business area.
Yeah I went there early on to get a repair done once. Their warehouse was massive and they were super friendly and helpful. Their location was part of what tipped me to go with a yuneec yuneec instead of DJI.
Im really sad they arent there anymore.

Reactions: DoomMeister
So one last question ;)
I hope this isn't the wrong spot to ask this... but now, seeing I have done the 3rd antenna update etc... Do I now consider myself the equivalent of having a ST16+/Typhoon H plus? or still just a regular H?
I was just kinda wondering which forum I should post in from now on, the regular Typhoon H forum, or the H plus forum.
Thanks,
Alan
FWIW, I am assuming that the 3rd antenna is just the beginning of the differences between the 2, so I am assuming I am still just a Typhoon H owner :)

You have the equivalent of a Typhoon H Pro (H480 w/ RealSense and the ST16+).

The Typhoon H Plus is based on the H520 with the C23 camera (1” sensor) and the ST16S controller.

So you still post in the Typhoon H forum.

The second 2.4GHz antenna at SR24 is not plugged in. Open antenna sockets may destroy the RF output driver. At this low power systems it is not very probable but more for powerful RF devices it is absolutely deadly.
However, missing antenna diversity may decrease the range of the 2.4GHz RC connection.

br HE

You have RealSense installed, right? I wonder why firmware for RealSense shows 0.0 in sensor files. There should be a valid FW version. Hmmm...

This was already the case before antenna upgrade.

Good catch @h-elsner ! I do see evidence of RealSense in the Telemetry as some of the indoor power ups show a flight mode change to 32 which is IPS. Those are the ones with the funky date stamp.

@Seachange01 , when you see this connect with the aircraft, go to the System Settings, and click on About then post a photo of the versions screen.

Good catch @h-elsner ! I do see evidence of RealSense in the Telemetry as some of the indoor power ups show a flight mode change to 32 which is IPS. Those are the ones with the funky date stamp.

@Seachange01 , when you see this connect with the aircraft, go to the System Settings, and click on About then post a photo of the versions screen.
I DO have real sense I just bought it recently (about a week back from Ebay) and plugged it in.
I haven't installed or downloaded any software for it, but I did go through the settings and select real sense installed in the section where there was a check box for it. I also see the numbers show on screen from it (the distance from objects etc).
That's interesting.. and kinda weird that an antenna isn't showing up, although if you are looking at the data from the earlier flight log, correct, a line had unclipped itself because I didn't push it down enough.
I have since done that this morning and just got home from a very short flight for which i am posting the latest of my flight logs here in this post.

For the record... latest flight I was not close to the major airport by my home. I used the 4hawks antenna this time. The H and ST16 both turned on fine, both bound to one another fine, and the H turned on perfectly from the red button on the ST16. I took off and everything was great. The vision on screen was perfectly clear and never got scratchy at all... although I didn't get too far away. Interesting thing.. the H looked like it stopped moving, and I don't know if it was just the pic that froze or what, but with a perfectly clear pic it just seemed like it wouldn't go any further forward, so I just flicked it to RTH. On its way back I DIDN'T get it to come back under my control... which I have on previous occasions. I still think it was the H that stopped, rather than the video screen that froze.
Anyway, all good it came back put the landing gear down and did a smooth landing about 30 feet in front of me all by itself as it should.
Hopefully I will figure out why It seemed to stop and not want to fly any further away from me, or, if it was flying and I just wasn't seeing it do so, then why did my pic freeze up. I really don't think it was flying away though. I looked like it was just hovering perfectly on the spot till I hit the RTH button.

Attachments

• FlightLoglatest.zip
    14 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I’ll take a look at the FlightLog in the morning.

When you flew today did you have the OBS enabled so that the RealSense was operating? Part of your preflight now should be to ensure that the RealSense cameras at the front do not have smudges or dirt on them. Flying facing the sun near the horizon with OBS enabled can confuse the RealSense.

I’ll take a look at the FlightLog in the morning.

When you flew today did you have the OBS enabled so that the RealSense was operating? Part of your preflight now should be to ensure that the RealSense cameras at the front do not have smudges or dirt on them. Flying facing the sun near the horizon with OBS enabled can confuse the RealSense.
I'm pretty sure from memory I didn't have OBS turned on. I had read somewhere not to have it turned on at take off, and then where I was flying I didn't think I would need it, it was over some vacant land in a suburban area, so I just went high enough to clear any power lines and didn't think I would hit anything at all so I left it off.
I got real sense mainly for if/when I fly in tighter spaces like my University campus (where I work) on weekends etc.
I don't know if I am choosing to only turn it on will create a bad habit as opposed to always having it on for every flight though. I'm still pretty green ;)

Always check all your controls before turning on your H, also check everything on your monitor before motor start.
Once you are hovering a few feet check make sure all your sticks are working properly. you can also check to see if real sense is working or not while hovering. Check all your data on the screen monitor, then enjoy your flight...

I have RealSense and have only used it to test it out, and couple of times for Follow Me. I leave OBS off most of the time.

I looked at the flight in the open area you describe and the fsk_rssi readings are still poor and there is a lot of use of the WiFi redundancy for control. There are still issues with the 2.4 GHz RC. Either in the ST16 or on the aircraft.

The aircraft did stop responding to your controls and the only reason it did not do an auto RTH is that it still had some WiFi connectivity. Flight 00085 telemetry dropped out when things stalled at about 400 meters out. It was at that point when you said you used RTH to start bringing the aircraft back.

The telemetry for 00086 picks up about 35 seconds later and shows the aircraft in the RTH homing mode, then RTH landing. I see no flights after this.

I would like to see a flight using the stock antennas to rule out issues with the 4Hawks. You should be having good RC at 1000 meters or more in that area.

Seachange01_00085.jpgSeachange01_00086.jpg

The missing part of the yellow line between the two pics is the 35 seconds of missing data meaning no telemetry connection.

I have RealSense and have only used it to test it out, and couple of times for Follow Me. I leave OBS off most of the time.

I looked at the flight in the open area you describe and the fsk_rssi readings are still poor and there is a lot of use of the WiFi redundancy for control. There are still issues with the 2.4 GHz RC. Either in the ST16 or on the aircraft.

The aircraft did stop responding to your controls and the only reason it did not do an auto RTH is that it still had some WiFi connectivity. Flight 00085 telemetry dropped out when things stalled at about 400 meters out. It was at that point when you said you used RTH to start bringing the aircraft back.

The telemetry for 00086 picks up about 35 seconds later and shows the aircraft in the RTH homing mode, then RTH landing. I see no flights after this.

I would like to see a flight using the stock antennas to rule out issues with the 4Hawks. You should be having good RC at 1000 meters or more in that area.

View attachment 24857View attachment 24858

The missing part of the yellow line between the two pics is the 35 seconds of missing data meaning no telemetry connection.
I cant tell you just how good it is to have people like yourselves on this channel to learn from you. Thanks for your time in reading my logs and my posts.
Can I ask, when you say there is a lot of use of the WiFi redundancy... what does that actually mean? This is the point where you can quietly think "when he said he was green, he wasn't kidding" ;)
I will switch out the antenna and go with the 3 stock ones and see if that makes a difference.. next step will be looking at the antenna on the H itself to make sure I have squished the wiring there at all somewhere.
I have no idea how you did the mapping thing, but yup, that's exactly where I was, and yeah, you can see it was literally just a straight line flight and I was baffled at it losing control so close by.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz