Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Airprox and Judging Distances

Reaction score
Out of the last 10 times I have been flying, at a range of locations, during 6 of those I have had 'Airprox' events where I have felt I have had to move because of low flying aircraft. In 4 of those, I was fairly convinced that the other object was where it legally should be, at least 500 ft above surface. In those cases ( I am never above 400 ft myself) I still move away at 90 degrees from the vector and descend as fast as possible, mainly for the practice rather than because I think I need to move in order to avoid a collision.

But in 2 of those recent flights I have come across a plane that I judged to be at around 350 ft AGL (before I launched) above Stedham Common, Hampshire and a helicopter over Petersfield Playing fields, which I definitely had to move to avoid at 200 ft because I hastily (but probably inaccurately) judged that it was roughly at the same altitude as my craft. The heli was successfully avoided by my action, but I wouldn't be surprised if I showed up in the infamous UK airprox reports at some point. I should point out that neither of these locations are in any way off-limits to UAV pilots or within 5 miles of any airfield or airport.

How can we get better at judging distances from afar ? I have only my own perception that the aircraft I saw was at 350 ft or that the heli was at 200 ft. Is there anything I could have done from the ground to later verify that ? Don't think a photo would have contained much in the way of size reference, and alas, I didn't have my headcam on this time... Is it possible to develop better visual skills in this area, and if so, what sort of things can we do to practice ? All thoughts welcome...

Stay clear of air fields as this will only raise more problems for our drone community even if no one has said anything all it takes is for your drone to be a fly away and then Ur in trouble so develop your skills away from airports just because they are not showing as a NFZ it's not worth it and if you have a android phone download flightradar24

It's very difficult to determined the height and distance of maned aircrafts, since they are always in motion.
At all cost your best bet is to start descending and be safe, as you must give right-away.

Stay clear of air fields as this will only raise more problems for our drone community even if no one has said anything all it takes is for your drone to be a fly away and then Ur in trouble so develop your skills away from airports just because they are not showing as a NFZ it's not worth it and if you have a android phone download flightradar24

What is it about my post that makes you think I was flying anywhere near an airfield ?!

The easiest way to determine if there may be an altitude conflict is not a method that works for us. Holding a half full, clear water bottle with the water even with the horizon while sighting the conflict aircraft would tell us if the aircraft was above or below the water line in the bottle. The water line corresponds with our level. But there are a couple problems with this; the bottle has to be in the aircraft with us sighting through it (ain’t gonna ever happen), and few are quick enough to grab a bottle and do a sighting before the conflict resolves or becomes a larger issue.

Until such time as we have devices that establish altitude of conflicting aircraft the best we can do is stay low and avoid areas where we’ve experienced repeated conflicts previously. Coastlines are a real problem as full scale likes to fly low to obtain an increased speed perspective.

What is it about my post that makes you think I was flying anywhere near an airfield ?!
Sorry AeroJ when I read the part about how low the plane and helicopter was I thought you must be near a small airfield as up were I am that's the only time I see them at that height am just outside Glasgow a wee place called Coatbridge we have 2 small airfields 1 for gliders and the other for flying lessons

Reactions: AeroJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital