Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another flight, another crash. What the heck is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Apollo11capcom

Does your H have the RealSense module?

Bouncing landings and falling over are typically pilot error. Perhaps not always though. Maybe these videos by @JulesTEO will help.

Interesting, i'l check these out.

Yes, it does have RS

Interesting, i'l check these out.

Yes, it does have RS

The H won't land with RS and OA active. There are YouTube videos detailing this as well.

My recommendation is to only engage OA when needed.

As an aside I only used SmartMode twice when I got my first H. It worked ok at first but it also got me in trouble. The H should come out of Smart Mode OK although I'm not sure its is an instant disengage.

Reactions: AH-1G
The H should come out of Smart Mode OK although I'm not sure its is an instant disengage.

Your H did not come out of smart mode. That's the main reason we wanted to see your telemetry.
If you want to upload the telemetry, maybe someone can find what happened. Uploading the entire directory will provide the best chance.

@Apollo11capcom

Bouncing landings and falling over are typically pilot error. Perhaps not always though. Maybe these videos by @JulesTEO will help.

Alright, after watching the first two videos I think I can call part of this solved- that would be the bouncing on landing.

Let me start by saying the first video really isn't applicable as I only brought the gear up momentarily while fairly high in the air, and then immediately brought it back down and left it down as I really wasn't confident enough to fly anywhere anyway.

If the guy on the second video is correct, the bouncing on landing it's being caused by coming down while still moving horizontally. That makes sense.

But, I'm still searching for the answer to why I'm losing control in mid flight. The first time it happened out of the blue, the second time it happened after I switched to smart mode and back again (which may have just been coincidence). When I say loss of control, I couldn't go forward, backward, or side to side, I could only go down. I didn't try yaw in either direction either time.

The fact that I couldn't bring the aircraft to move sideways, forwards or backwards prevented any correction of horizontal movement while landing, causing the bouncing. Again, like the first time, it was drifting from approx 1 to 3 feet in random directions while this was happening.

This leaves me with a question- what do you do if it starts to bounce, is there a recovery procedure? The first time I tried killing my engines by holding the red button down, at least to try to save my props, it didn't work. I held it down for some time and the engines didn't stop.

BTW- If I'm at fault for any of this happening, I have absolutely no problem admitting it, I just want to know what it is so I can correct it.

Last edited:
The H won't land with RS and OA active. There are YouTube videos detailing this as well.

My recommendation is to only engage OA when needed.

As an aside I only used SmartMode twice when I got my first H. It worked ok at first but it also got me in trouble. The H should come out of Smart Mode OK although I'm not sure its is an instant disengage.
I didn't have OA engaged. I'm confident it was off, I go over the switches before I start the props spinning.

Edit: I was able to bring it down both times, I think the bouncing is a result of the way it came down- drifting horizontally while trying to touch down. Otherwise I think the landing would have been fine.

Last edited:
This leaves me with a question- what do you do if it starts to bounce, is there a recovery procedure? The first time I tried killing my engines by holding the red button down, at least to try to save my props, it didn't work. I held it down for some time and the engines didn't stop.
When landing keep your right hand away from the stick. If it starts to bounce go back up to 10' immediately and descend again. Until you get good with landings the easiest way to avoid breaking props is to hover about 8" above the ground. Press and hold the red button until it lands and shuts down the motors.

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
Your H did not come out of smart mode. That's the main reason we wanted to see your telemetry.
If you want to upload the telemetry, maybe someone can find what happened. Uploading the entire directory will provide the best chance.
Thanks, I'm going to go over it myself and see if I can find an answer before I ask someone else to burn up their Sunday afternoon helping me with it.

@Apollo11capcom

All good info but I think it's importance may be diluted with extraneous material. I have an H with RealSense and very limited experience but I know: 1) it won't land unless the gear is down 2) with gusty wind you have to land between gusts 3) if not on level ground you may have to hold the red button to stop the motors and 4) you have to hold the throttle all the way down for several seconds until you hear the motors idle down or you run the risk of it not staying landed.
I think my negative view of the videos was largely due to my frustration in seeing the shadow of the H with the gear up while trying to land while the narrator droned on. I don't know about the H but it seems likely that without RealSense it was possible to hit the ground with the gear up. That wasn't much help in me not wanting to scream at the narrator to put the gear down you idiot!

@Apollo11capcom
You can fly with as little as 10, however there are others that will fight tooth and nail against this!
My 82+ hours of flying (4,920 minutes) and no issues. I've flow with as little as 9, but you need to be on your toes!
Don't over engineering your ability to fly at minimums!
Real pilots practice minimums, a "just in case" something develops out of the ordinary. :cool:

You can actually fly with only 7 when launching in Angle mode but before doing so you must recognize and accept that position stability will be severely impacted or non existent. Until the white light is flashing with the purple light the aircraft has no chance of being positionally stable, you have to maintain lateral position manually.

There’s a caveat to seeing the white flashing light in either Angle or Smart mode. The light indicates the system has the correct satellite count to make full use of the mode selected but it is not representative of having good position resolution. That only occurs over time with the satellite count depicted.

Any system that has sat for an extended period of time and/or transported a considerable distance to a new location requires an undefined amount of time necessary for the system to obtain position data adequate for low value circular error probability. Sat count alone does not assure a good position fix.

Launching and discovering your aircraft won’t hold a relatively stable position is indicative of several things. If you had just done a firmware update, check the aircraft telemetry broadcast at the left side of the screen. If it’s not continually updating, part or all of the update didn’t take or the system is not fully bound. Land immediately.

If you had performed a compass calibration incorrectly drift is possible. Land and perform another one. Do it faster than the last one.

If you had activated cruise control, accidentally or intentionally, you may have a continuous lateral notion command directing the aircraft you are unaware of. Typically the drift will be in only one direction. “Stir” the right stick to deactivate Cruise Control.

If you suspect drift is due to GPS because of a long period of non use, a new, distant location, or a firmware update you have two remedies to choose from; land and allow the system time to obtain better resolution, remain in flight in Angle mode at a height that permits obstacle clearance while you hover manually to allow time for better resolution. If you are competent with manual flight control this method can be good practice.

During any flight where positional instability is present, do not ever switch into or fly in Smart mode. Avoid use of RTH as it is dependent on a good position fix for both the aircraft and “home” locations to function correctly.

Never, ever, perform the first flight after a firmware update or compass cal in Smart mode. Smart mode absolutely requires a solid position fix at all times while also requiring a consistent RC signal. If you had a defective update or compass cal prior to launch, Smart mode is always the mode the bad stuff happens in.

For those just obtaining their first H, there is no need to update firmware before your first flight. Every firmware version for the H functioned well. One contained an altitude restriction but in no way did it impede good flight control. Yuneec does not require their aircraft be hooked up to the “mother ship” before the first flight. Yuneec products are “stand alone” and can be used out of the box without ever being linked to the manufacturer’s server. The H Plus and 520 had firmware issues out of the box but the H never has. If your purchase was a used unit and it was flying well before you bought it, it will fly well after you bought it. If it had issues you were not informed of it is far better to fly it as received to discover an issue than it is to immediately update the firmware, which provides the seller an “out” as a great many new owners have bungled the firmware update process, introducing issues that had not been present with the previous firmware. Determine what you have and how it functions before changing everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PatR, you are so eloquent when you write a response than I could possibly say.:cool:

Apollo,

Landings can be done successfully in most wind conditions but lateral motion needs to be minimized. Best way I know of to help that is land with the nose pointing into the wind, and land vertically. It can be most helpful to stop the descent a foot or two off the ground to allow the aircraft to stabilize. If the wind is strong enough that it can’t hold position it can be directed more into the wind with forward pitch to offset the drift to hold a relatively stable position.

Once the aircraft touches down ANY yaw, pitch, or roll input will be responded to until the motors have spooled down to minimum speed, which occurs several seconds after touchdown while holding the throttle fully aft. Some have learned it’s faster to depress and hold the arming button immediately after landing than to hold the throttle back for an extended period of time. The auto pilot is 100% active and responds to the slightest input until achieving a zero thrust idle. Inadvertent control input after landing has been the cause of many roll overs.

The above takes things back to the use of Turtle mode during a landing. As the H auto pilot responds so quickly to control input after touchdown you really need to have the the ability to counter movement as quickly as possible. Turtle mode prevents that ability.

Agree with PatR, land pointing nose into the wind.

When it's windy, you must also take into consideration wind swirling around (vortices), so I will hover about 2 to 3 feet off the ground before landing seeing what the wind is doing, then slowly touch down, HOWEVER don't be bashful to do a go around.

If I can answer any other questions that might help narrow this down, please let me know, I'll happily answer. Also, if anyone knows how to read the flight data and would like to see it, again let me know. Any helpful input is appreciated.

I don't want to wreck it a third time, maybe it's time to ship it off to Yuneec.
Your thread started with the premise that you needed assistance. From that point forward several members have tried to do so. Often, but not always, the answer can be found in the flight logs. Since you have elected to proceed with your own review of those logs, it is pointless to continue this conversation.
I'm closing this thread for further comment. If you wish to continue please open a conversation with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval