Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Antenna upgrade DIY question

Reaction score
I'm a hardcore DIY person. My H model came with the ST16 with two 2.4 ghz antennas and one 5 ghz. I upgraded my ST16 with an Itelite range extender and it works fine. I kept the antennas that came on the ST16. I've seen the antenna upgrade kit for the H and it looks very straightforward. So my question is - will the two antennas that were on the ST16 work as an antenna upgrade on the H? You can buy an upgrade kit that comes with two antennas and longer cables - so all I would need are two cables and Presto cheap upgrade. So is there anything that would prevent it from working? Are there differences in the antennas other than the fact that the ones on the ST16 fold and the ones with the kit don't and they're a little shorter? KIMG0277.JPG

You could but I suggest not. Those are rather heavy and too long. The 2.4 GHz antennas on the H are set at about a 45 deg angle for the best reception. The longer antennas will likely be seen by the camera if when you pan. They will also add weight and drag for questionable benefit. You will loose the video feed long before you lose the control signal.

Ditto on everything @Steve Carr said. As another hard core DIYer, I see the attraction of mounting these. However, there are times when better judgment needs to intervene. This is just one of those times.

I have the external antenna kit and really like the size of the tuned antennas it comes with. They look proportional and don't show up in the camera.

A side note: I take my H hiking and mountain biking a lot, and what I really like about the external antennas, even more that the range increase, is their ability to be removed quickly and easily when I retract the skids for carrying the H on my backpack. It makes for a nice flat disk shape and they can't be broken off.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Please tell us more. First clarify if it's a 2.4gHz or a 5gHz, this thread deals with 2.4. Does "Made my me" mean you actually constructed the patch yourself, or did you buy the patch? And why do you need the cable? Is it a different connector than the ones already on the ST16?

Last edited:
Please tell us more. First clarify if it's a 2.4gHz or a 5gHz, this thread deals with 2.4. Does "Made my me" mean you actually constructed the patch yourself, or did you buy the patch? And why do you need the cable? Is it a different connector than the ones already on the ST16?
I have two versions patch designed by me here in germany 2.4 and 5.8 ghz . If necessary you can use these SMA connectors pigtails in different lengths to take the signals out off the housing for better reception. Regards M.C.

Simple mod on a Typhoon H instead of original China antennas and extra power cord for payloads. 20181119_222627.jpeg

Danke! Do you offer these for sale? If so is there there a website?

Also, I already have SMA connectors on my H like yours, but these are for straight antennas, not a patch. I do not think a patch would work on the aircraft. However, I am interested in a patch for the ST16. I would like a better patch for the 5gHz without going to the bulky 3-in-one range extender systems.

A 2.4 antenna conversion kit for the H has been available for a long time. CarolinaDronz and others have been selling them since late 2016.

Yes of course you can see much more at web dronetrade dot com..... it works well at Yuneec rc as st16 or st24 or st12 .Also omnidirectional antennas on copter side only .Regards from Germany

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio