Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

antenna

The round antenna is omnidirectional, the square one is directional. Omni is wide beam, directional is narrow. The narrow beam has to be aimed directly at the aircraft all the time. The wide beam does not.

If you are not proficient with flying multirotors, and don’t always have the 5.8 antenna aimed at the aircraft, use the round one.

With either antenna, if you lose sight of the aircraft you can run into problems. Those problems will be self induced, but still problems. Avoid having problems by keeping it in sight.

my drone cam with a round and a square antenna which one should I use
What are you calling "round"? the small whip antenna or the mushroom type?

What are you calling "round"? the small whip antenna or the mushroom type?
Some H pros came with 2 5.8 antennae,either or 2 be used in center application. One is called mushroom,or round, while the other is a square or Patch,they say is more directional but more range. Keith

The round antenna is omnidirectional, the square one is directional. Omni is wide beam, directional is narrow. The narrow beam has to be aimed directly at the aircraft all the time. The wide beam does not.

If you are not proficient with flying multirotors, and don’t always have the 5.8 antenna aimed at the aircraft, use the round one.

With either antenna, if you lose sight of the aircraft you can run into problems. Those problems will be self induced, but still problems. Avoid having problems by keeping it in sight.
Don't need to lose sight with EU firmware, just raise the legs!

Think of it like light, the patch like a torch beam and the mushroom as a candle.

Feeling lazy today I’m afraid it would only be a link to a series of YouTube videos discussing antennas as part of HAM radio training lessons.

I have both antennae available to me with the ST-16. The square flat-patch antenna gives me a clear video link even at a one-mile distance. The "round" 5.8 GHz antenna (right-hand circular polarized cloverleaf style) usually starts giving broken up video feed at about half that distance. This cloverleaf antenna is similar to what is inside the CGO3/CGO3+ camera. A pic (screencap from an eBay listing) with the housing removed is attached. Shown are 3-lobe and 4-lobe versions, providing nominally different dB gains. As for the directionality of the patch, it reminds me to turn and face the drone by breaking up the signal.

DJD

2019-06-05 17.29.02.jpg

Reactions: KEITH KUHN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace