Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone Looking for a High Paying, High Pressure Job?

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score

Just an FYI, there's only a couple people in this forum that have indicated they could qualify for the job, and in all the operator qualifying I was doing over the past few weeks pretty much everyone that had the requisite experience was over 55 years old;)

If they are willing to change the Job Title to "Chief Old Fart", I'd qualify immediately... ?

Just an FYI, there's only a couple people in this forum that have indicated they could qualify for the job, and in all the operator qualifying I was doing over the past few weeks pretty much everyone that had the requisite experience was over 55 years old;)

That's because youth and vitality is no match for old age and treachery ?

Reactions: DCH and AH-1G
If they are willing to change the Job Title to "Chief Old Fart", I'd qualify immediately... ?

Get after it. If you got the job you could prolly put any title on your business card you want. The only qualification I miss is the Part 135 experience but that position would be very high stress, and Google is a mighty demanding employer.

I don't think Millennials need apply, the job requires a self starter that does not need their hand held every step of the way.

I don’t meet the requirements, also not what I’d be looking for as a retirement job... it’d be in the preferred field sUAV but no less hectic stress than job retiring from.

With it in the Google family and CA, probably good compensation package. Out of curiousity, any close estimate what the position provides for intro compensation?

I don't like the traveling part..... I don't like to miss my fatherly duties.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I didn't finish my commercial certification, dang!

Last edited:
I don't like the traveling part..... I don't like to miss my fatherly duties.
My feelings as well... got tired of travel in my mid-40's. Realized I basically missed 5-8 yrs of the growing up phase... 2-3 days a week home doesn't always cut it for family life.
Reduced travel was more enjoyable, less compensation bonuses... but balanced in other ways.

When my son was born and growing up I was on the road doing a daily run from Manchester to Worcester then Northampton then back to Manchester (roughly two thousand miles a week) finishing at two in the morning five days a week. I did that for 18 years. I essentially missed him growing up. A time that I'll never get back. Yes, I provided for my family, but I missed out on something that money can't buy.

When my son was born and growing up I was on the road doing a daily run from Manchester to Worcester then Northampton then back to Manchester (roughly two thousand miles a week) finishing at two in the morning five days a week. I did that for 18 years. I essentially missed him growing up. A time that I'll never get back. Yes, I provided for my family, but I missed out on something that money can't buy.
They grow up so fast when not always home... it was a big part missed and as you state... can't get it back.

I would have killed to have gotten 2-3 days a week home.

No idea about the compensation package but the field pays well for those with an education, and the qualifications they reference is a very expensive education to obtain. I don’t have a college degree, and lamenting that one day in a one on one meeting with corporate mgmt got me reminded the commercial and instructor certificates in my pocket were viewed as having one.

What Google/Alphabet/Wing is looking for is only about one step down from a dept. head so it should pay pretty well. Whoever gets the job will end up building and structuring a division team.

Have a upper postion, high stress, hectic position now, pays great for mid-west values. Was medical & surgeons, now legal & Judges. The bicycling & drones was a avenue to de-stress & enjoy new challenges. Since learned the sUAV fields have pretty good compensation even at the level of enjoying the field work, good path for retirement duty.

I would have killed to have gotten 2-3 days a week home.

No idea about the compensation package but the field pays well for those with an education, and the qualifications they reference is a very expensive education to obtain. I don’t have a college degree, and lamenting that one day in a one on one meeting with corporate mgmt got me reminded the commercial and instructor certificates in my pocket were viewed as having one.

What Google/Alphabet/Wing is looking for is only about one step down from a dept. head so it should pay pretty well. Whoever gets the job will end up building and structuring a division team.
would agree... moving from 24x7 to 5-6 day a week was a pleasure... but that too only went 10-15 years til it was over saturation. Always had 60-70 hr minimum weeks if not way more.. but I do enjoy being home a few days...but then you consumed all your time with yard, house maintenance and still little time for family.

Reactions: PatR
Know whatcha mean. Spend 4-6 months working 12hour minim shifts, 7 days a week in a high risk environment, come “home” for one or two months where first half is spent back in corporate. First two weeks of your actual home time is pretty much wasted as your head is in the wrong place, making you unfit to associate with family or normal society. Once you finally get “civilized” again, sorta, you’re buried in all the stuff that needed to be done while you were away. A week before you’re scheduled to go back down range you’re back in corporate country prepping for the next tour, knowing you won’t have a moment’s freedom for months to come. Then you have those home periods where you’ve only been home a couple days and you’re recalled to re-deploy right now because something happened or fell apart that requires you’re skills or presence. Had one of those where I got a call at 23:00 one night telling me there was a plane ticket waiting for me at SFO as soon as I could get there. I hadn’t even unpacked after my arrival at home yet.

It’s not an easy way of life but once you dedicate yourself to it you adapt and become just as bonkers as everyone else if you want to mentally survive it. For those that did it I have yet to meet even one that didn’t need at least a couple years after they stopped to get their head out of the desert. Some never do.

Reactions: AH-1G and Dougcjohn
Know whatcha mean. Spend 4-6 months working 12hour minim shifts, 7 days a week in a high risk environment, come “home” for one or two months where first half is spent back in corporate. First two weeks of your actual home time is pretty much wasted as your head is in the wrong place, making you unfit to associate with family or normal society. Once you finally get “civilized” again, sorta, you’re buried in all the stuff that needed to be done while you were away. A week before you’re scheduled to go back down range you’re back in corporate country prepping for the next tour, knowing you won’t have a moment’s freedom for months to come. Then you have those home periods where you’ve only been home a couple days and you’re recalled to re-deploy right now because something happened or fell apart that requires you’re skills or presence. Had one of those where I got a call at 23:00 one night telling me there was a plane ticket waiting for me at SFO as soon as I could get there. I hadn’t even unpacked after my arrival at home yet.

It’s not an easy way of life but once you dedicate yourself to it you adapt and become just as bonkers as everyone else if you want to mentally survive it. For those that did it I have yet to meet even one that didn’t need at least a couple years after they stopped to get their head out of the desert. Some never do.
A lot said in those 2 paragraphs! And yet more than many will Express! You definitely had a engaging experience!

You know from your own experiences. In trying to provide all you can for the family you ultimately end up distanced from them and sacrificed much of your humanity in the process. In ways the large corporate environment does similar.

You know from your own experiences. In trying to provide all you can for the family you ultimately end up distanced from them and sacrificed much of your humanity in the process. In ways the large corporate environment does similar.
Yepper, we've all managed through our challenges that mold whom we are now... most proud of the end product, some enjoy the final version, some dream of modifications... but whom we are is who we are from all walks of life.

Cooperation or large non-military entities may have their high-stress, hectic hustle, drop dead dates, design espionage and endless budgets. I can normally spot a Vet or Common Boots; compare the worse to where some have been, seen or performed, the coat & tie society is at most a hectic R&R.

They grow up so fast when not always home... it was a big part missed and as you state... can't get it back.

My son lives in Hawaii, and I only get to spend time, with him every other weekend, and I made things work, since he was 2yrs old. I am blessed that my cousin is a pilot for Hawaiian Airlines and two of my cousins are flight stewardess, also with Hawaiian Airlines that for years, I have gotten the very low deals on airfare. Most of my jobs here in California, I have taken my son, with me. He has been my VO when his around, he jokingly says that he is going to sue me for child labor, when he found out that I was under paying his.. LOL..
The OG upstairs looking down, has been good to me, I consider myself blessed.

Some folks glorify our industry as glamorous, yeah.. I agree that one can easily make $6,000 by just doing one job. But progressive pay check is where the real money cashes in every end of the month, and that's consistent.

Reactions: Dougcjohn and AH-1G
Man, I do not want to go back, when I first started in the drone biz. I had lots of doubts, specially sitting in terminals and jumping to the next. Budgeting my allowance, rushing to be on a pit due to your calendar schedule, sweating bullets recovering SD cards on the fly, frantically looking for a WiFi because the hotel connection sucks and you have a deadline. Forgetting to urinate, because in your head you keep saying to yourself "One more pit" and I will go to the bathroom, but it's too late, you have to take a flight... BUT!!!! You still will to discharge your batteries... LOL..

I really do not miss those days.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49