Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone passed a UK Flight Assessment with Typhoon H?

I recently passed my flight test using a H. I have my PfCO and Ops manual (referencing the H) all approved.

It does concern me that some test organisations are trying to find work arrounds to disable built in safety features. Potentially invalidation insurance too I should think. It sounds like flight safety stupidity. To put it bluntly (albeit extreme!) it sounds like the testing organisation could be putting the UAS and the public at risk through their interpretation of the test. Could merit an incident report.

My understanding is that the aim of this test is to demonstrate that you can return to base manually flying the UAS. Ie not relying on the features that make it easy to fly, or Automated RTH. So flying in attitude mode for the H, or have I missed something here?

If the test operator are looking to cause a "loss of control" - ok if you can't communicate with the H how on earth are you expected to fly it?! Simple, you aren't, you are at the whim of what becomes a fully autonomous system. However if it loses gps then you should be able to fly it back manually. Back to flying in attitude mode!

It actually sounds like the test of disabling the GPs / controller is testing the UAS and controller, not the operator.

Sorry for what appears to be a rant. I am ex RAF and this lack of flight safety awareness from "professed experts" really annoys me. I could of course be completely wrong...

Considering the "H not permitted for commercial work" comment, could there be a hidden commercial angle here, perhaps they want you to buy a DJI...?

It actually sounds like the test of disabling the GPs / controller is testing the UAS and controller, not the operator.

Precisely...he said that although I got a pass in all flying exercises he was unable to pass me because my machine 'had a fault' and did not return safely. The latest news is they are not allowing me a pass, but a free retest once my H is fixed. I am going to Yuneec UK on Tuesday having been in touch with Daniel, they want to test my machine.
As you can imagine, it is extremely frustrating and actually put me off becoming a commercial pilot, but I have to go and finish it now because I'm so far in!

Precisely...he said that although I got a pass in all flying exercises he was unable to pass me because my machine 'had a fault' and did not return safely. The latest news is they are not allowing me a pass, but a free retest once my H is fixed. I am going to Yuneec UK on Tuesday having been in touch with Daniel, they want to test my machine.
As you can imagine, it is extremely frustrating and actually put me off becoming a commercial pilot, but I have to go and finish it now because I'm so far in!

I wouldn't be put off, just one of those barriers in a fledgling industry.

Generally it seems dumb to me. You could, as other contributors have said, take one UAS for the test and then use another for commercial ops. Rendering the test an irrelevance!

I don't know where you are in the country but the team that did my flight test are very good (All ex or currently serving military aircrew). If you wanted to go with a team with some common sense...

Not sure if there would be a charge for the flight test though...

I wouldn't be put off, just one of those barriers in a fledgling industry.

Generally it seems dumb to me. You could, as other contributors have said, take one UAS for the test and then use another for commercial ops. Rendering the test an irrelevance!

I don't know where you are in the country but the team that did my flight test are very good (All ex or currently serving military aircrew). If you wanted to go with a team with some common sense...

Not sure if there would be a charge for the flight test though...
I think (but I'm not 100% sure) RUSTA will do just the flight test element. Ex RAF too. They will charge you for the flight test.
I did my full course with them in Blackpool and did the flight test using a Phantom, although I intended to use the H for most of my commercial work afterwards.

Was it RUSTA you went with, kayakmtb?

I think (but I'm not 100% sure) RUSTA will do just the flight test element. Ex RAF too. They will charge you for the flight test.
I did my full course with them in Blackpool and did the flight test using a Phantom, although I intended to use the H for most of my commercial work afterwards.

Was it RUSTA you went with, kayakmtb?

So I just passed using an H in the UK, with UAVair

Originally my thoughts were the same as kayakmtb's in post 21 and I think he raised some good points but on completion of the test and after some contemplation I had a little change of attitude. I realised that it was not just my flying skill that was being tested but my knowledge and understanding of my system, how it responds to situations and then how I implemented any plans that I had prepared to deal with those situations. There is always a slight chance that your controller could lose signal or stop working, for any number of reasons such as battery issues, electrical issues or human error. This whole process made me look a whole lot deeper into the H and ST16 and as a result feel alot more confident.

I also think its stupid that you can do your test with one system and switch back to the other for commercial ops

Last edited:
Thanks. I believe it was Andy. Yep it was enabled for take-off and the 20 sec GPS hover then switched off for the rest of the maneuvers. I took the jump and tested the loss of signal a few times before the exam so I had an idea what to expect. It was still a bit a of a squeaky bum moment though. I would be happy to post a video if it would help anyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy