Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bad Crash - Need Help

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forums and new pilot. I'll try to be concise but as accurate as possible. I bought a Typhoon H to take photos of my jobsites (I work in the construction industry) about 3 weeks ago. First practice flight in my neighborhood went well. First flight on the jobsite went well and got some amazing photos. I almost always flew it in SMART MODE to keep it straight until I was more experienced.

Friday I took it to the same jobsite to get some photos of our progress. Newly charged batteries, again, virtually new drone. I was showing a superintendent how to fly it by hovering it maybe 10-12 feet in front of us above the ground (asphalt paved road). I took my left hand off the control that gives vertical elevation and was explaining what that one did and then went to show him that your right hand moves the drone in the direction you want it to go. When I pushed "up" on the control to fly it away from me, it literally tipped up 90 degrees and flew into the ground! This was not a "new guy pushed the red button" error. The battery didn't die. It didn't suddenly drop, it literally raced into the ground and pretty much broke into 567 pieces.

So here's my question as a completely novice pilot. Is there a chance I had a setting selected inadvertently that could allow the drone to tip 90 degrees? I didn't think there was. I'd gone through the 2 batteries on both flights, so maybe an hour of flight time, but in that hour the drone never could tip over that far to move no matter how far you pushed the joystick. It always tips far enough to get horizontal movement but that's it? I was thinking maybe a prop issue, but again, it was hovering perfectly fine and there was no indication anything was wrong. I have no idea if the remote gave me an error message because I was looking at the drone and talking to my superintendent and without warning it was down. Any help or advice is really appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

DO NOT FLY IN SMART MODE, fly in angle mode! Smart mode will kill you as you have found out. I'm curious when you first flew in Smart Mode practicing, how far away from the H were you compared to when you when you crashed. Down load your telemetry so one of the guys can take a look. Sorry to here about the mishap. :(

Sounds like it was either inside or close to being inside the Smart Mode Safety Circle. This feature of Smart Mode is what gets people. Really sorry to hear about your crash. If you can post the Telemetry Files here someone might be able to tell what went wrong. Since it is new bird you might try contacting Yuneec and see if thet can help you out.

DO NOT FLY IN SMART MODE, fly in angle mode! Smart mode will kill you as you have found out. I'm curious when you first flew in Smart Mode practicing, how far away from the H were you compared to when you when you crashed. Down load your telemetry so one of the guys can take a look. Sorry to here about the mishap. :(

On the first neighborhood flight, I took off in angle mode and flew that way most of the time until I figured out what SMART MODE did...once I realized it was easier to control (at least at my experience level) I started using it on the last 3 batteries. In those instances, I took off from right in front of myself, maybe 10 feet away and went straight up and then moved it. Never any issues, but it sounds like maybe I violated a rookie rule? The crash incident was pretty much exactly the same as the previous, except I hovered lower and closer than normal. Like I said, I was showing my super what the "little right joystick" did and it went haywire.

Sounds like it was either inside or close to being inside the Smart Mode Safety Circle. This feature of Smart Mode is what gets people. Really sorry to hear about your crash. If you can post the Telemetry Files here someone might be able to tell what went wrong. Since it is new bird you might try contacting Yuneec and see if thet can help you out.

I saw another post explaining how to post the telemetry files. I'll try and do that today. What "feature of Smart Mode" are you referring to? Second post to mention not flying in that mode close to you...

I saw another post explaining how to post the telemetry files. I'll try and do that today. What "feature of Smart Mode" are you referring to? Second post to mention not flying in that mode close to you...

" When in Smart Mode the built-in GPS establishes a 26 ft (8 m) diameter Smart Circle around the pilot when taking off and landing and also creates a Geo Fence that keeps the aircraft from traveling farther than 300 ft (91 m) from the pilot's position. "

This is default when flying in Smart Mode. If the H was close enough it might have been trying to get away from you. Weird things have happened to people when in Smart Mode. It could also be construed as a Fly Away. Been many crashes in Smart Mode.

Not saying this was it but a probability.

On the ST16 controller top right you have two toggle switches, THE very top far right smaller switch you want to position center You will see‡ Smart (up), Angle (center), Home (down). Center the switch will be Angle Mode. Always, Always check this before any flight taking off, these can easily be bumped and before you know it your in the wrong mode and blahhhh.

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I was setting up to do my very last shoot of a golf course job. I had gone off site to get a nearby river in the frame. I was on a very unusual wood deck/dock configuration with limited space. When I launch in angle mode I backed up and lost focus and must have put it in Smart mode unknowingly. I saw the green light but forgot what that meant! I struggled to keep control. I thought it was possessed! I had water 10 feet away. Anyways it went into a small tree and luckily just lost 3 props. After reading this post I now believe I was inside this Smart mode fence. Live and learn! Using the Q500 4 K.

In those instances, I took off from right in front of myself, maybe 10 feet away and went straight up and then moved it.
I hovered lower and closer than normal.
I was showing my super what the "little right joystick" did and it went haywire.
There really is no need to post the telemetry. It's clear the H was doing what it is programmed to do. Taking off 10' away in Smart Mode will generally send the H racing away and if you don't have sufficient altitude it will crash. In the previous flights when you went straight up the H had enough height and distance to be outside the Smart Circle. During takeoff the H may still be resolving the GPS distance between the H and the ST16. That accounts for the delay before it tried to run away from home.
I would still suggest you call Yuneec. I have no clue if they will give you any help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

BTW, getting distracted while flying often results in something bad. Don't ask me how I know this to be true.

There really is no need to post the telemetry. It's clear the H was doing what it is programmed to do. Taking off 10' away in Smart Mode will generally send the H racing away and if you don't have sufficient altitude it will crash. In the previous flights when you went straight up the H had enough height and distance to be outside the Smart Circle. During takeoff the H may still be resolving the GPS distance between the H and the ST16. That accounts for the delay before it tried to run away from home.
I would still suggest you call Yuneec. I have no clue if they will give you any help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

BTW, getting distracted while flying often results in something bad. Don't ask me how I know this to be true.
Haha good to know

I never hear that before. I can fly my H in smart mode and can do what I want in the geo-fence of 91 m. Never flew away. Strange!!!!

Some pilots may be getting away with taking off in Smart Mode while standing within 26 feet of the craft for the very reason Steve Carr states:
"During takeoff the H may still be resolving the GPS distance between the H and the ST16. That accounts for the delay before it tried to run away from home."
If one makes a habit of taking off in Smart Mode while standing next to the aircraft it may eventually fly away from you as it is programmed to do to stay outside of the 8 meter circle around the transmitter.

From the Manual

SMART CIRCLE
In most cases the Smart Circle will keep Typhoon H from coming within approximately
26 feet (8 meters) of you (as long as you position yourself at least 26
feet/8 meters behind Typhoon H.
GEO-FENCE
The geo-fence is a virtual barrier that will keep Typhoon H from traveling farther
than 300 feet (91 meters). The geo-fence only works in Smart Mode. Although
this limit can be adjusted using the GUI we strongly recommend using the
default limit at all times.

Reactions: Dr Delta
The Smart Circle has functioned in the same manner with Q and Chroma type aircraft. It is not a secret, and clearly referenced in system documentation. Those that have tried operating inside the Smart Circle and have gotten away with it have been lucky, and exceptions to the norm..

Regardless of whether or not it is within the "don't touch me" sphere of influence around the operator while in smart mode, would this still not be totally out of the realm of "normal", since it pitched 90 degrees and flew into the ground? Even if it was trying it's best to get away from Joe, it shouldn't pitch 90 degrees and fly into the ground, should it?

it shouldn't pitch 90 degrees
I think the maximum pitch angle is 35 degrees. When it goes max stick in any direction unexpectedly it may appear as though it's at 90 degrees at first glance. The actual pitch angle would show in the telemetry which is why I suggested that he contact Yuneec. There is an outside chance there was actually a fault.

Reactions: kd4pbs
I'd like to post the flight data for anyone who could analyze. Which files would you want? I've gotten the logs to send to Yuneec, so we'll see where that goes...

Regardless of whether or not it is within the "don't touch me" sphere of influence around the operator while in smart mode, would this still not be totally out of the realm of "normal", since it pitched 90 degrees and flew into the ground? Even if it was trying it's best to get away from Joe, it shouldn't pitch 90 degrees and fly into the ground, should it?

This was one of my primary questions/points. The other factor is that the drone didn't move from hovering until I pushed the right joystick "up." Unless it figured out its GPS position relative to the ST 26 and tried to get away at the EXACT same time I pushed up on the controller, it was me that made it move, pitch and then dive into the ground. It may not have been 90 degrees, it just looked like it from my perspective and it happened so fast that in hindsight it seemed that it flew 90 degrees straight down (90 degrees relative to the line I wanted it to fly on).

This was one of my primary questions/points. The other factor is that the drone didn't move from hovering until I pushed the right joystick "up." Unless it figured out its GPS position relative to the ST 26 and tried to get away at the EXACT same time I pushed up on the controller, it was me that made it move, pitch and then dive into the ground. It may not have been 90 degrees, it just looked like it from my perspective and it happened so fast that in hindsight it seemed that it flew 90 degrees straight down (90 degrees relative to the line I wanted it to fly on).
Uploading telemetry files will help figure this out immensely. I also must have misunderstood... when you said 90 degrees, I thought you meant that it pitched the whole aircraft 90 degrees, which would put the propellers vertical, and then that went into the ground. But you meant that instead of flying on a horizontal path away from you, it flew on a vertical (90 degrees to the ground) path into the ground?

Uploading telemetry files will help figure this out immensely. I also must have misunderstood... when you said 90 degrees, I thought you meant that it pitched the whole aircraft 90 degrees, which would put the propellers vertical, and then that went into the ground. But you meant that instead of flying on a horizontal path away from you, it flew on a vertical (90 degrees to the ground) path into the ground?

Both. It looked to me like the aircraft pitched 90 degrees and then flew into the ground. That would be 90 degrees from where I wanted it to go. Basically, it was hovering about 10 feet or so away from me and about 10-12 feet above the ground. I pushed the RIGHT joystick UP to make it go away from me and the "back" of it tilted up like it would to fly away but it tipped up so far that instead of flying away from me, it literally few directly into the ground. As others have noted, it probably wasn't actually pitched 90 degrees, but it seemed like it. It happened in about 1 second so it was so fast I may have misjudged the pitch, but it's not like it flew at a bad angle and crashed 80 feet away. It crashed almost directly under where it hovered. Probably within 8-10 feet of where it hovered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin