Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery level guide

I spent several hours over the weekend reading threads and watching videos on Lipo batteries and took notes etc.. This is the guide I came up with and I think it is pretty accurate. I am not an expert in any way but this information is from various sources and seems to be the best overall advice.

I hope it is okay to post this, I am just trying to help. i:)i

I wanted a nice easy to search guide that new users could reference. If that exists, my apologies, I can delete this.
============================================================================
Recommended Voltages for the Typhoon H.

13.2V (3.3V/cell) Lowest voltage the battery should EVER be at. Below this the battery will most likely die. NEVER EVER let it get this low. If it is even possible on the H.

14.0V (3.5V/cell ) ABSOLUTE lowest level your voltage should ever be at to land for Lipo's in general. Below 14V is too low for good battery health, It is not recommend letting the H get this low. The warning will kick in before this so I don't think you can even run it this low thankfully.

14.3V Warning kicks in at this level but land BEFORE you ever see this warning!
Some guys report that they just land when the warning comes on at 14.3V. Feel free to do this but it is not the advice from everyone. This would be the absolute minimum voltage you should ever land at with the H IMHO. Hence the warning. i:)i

14.4V (3.6V/cell) Reported Lipo lowest safe level for a slow speed (not pushing the motors if far away) return and landing. Consensus is to land before you even reach this level to be safe. This is the "oops I was not paying attention and need to bring it home now" level if you forgot. You can drain the battery down to this and probably be okay but with variations in batteries and other factors you may or may not have issues over time.

14.8V (3.7V/cell) SAFE landing. The recommended voltage to start landing at. This takes into account battery differences, the accuracy of the reported voltage and reading the voltages under load. Usual advice is your battery will last the longest not letting it get too much below this level. This is having about 15% remaining on the battery. Some say you can run it even lower if you want to get max flight time but I would land no lower than 14.6V or maybe 14.5V. This is more for battery health than running out of power.

15.0V (3.75V/cell) If your drone is far away from you start thinking about bringing it home at 15V, or just below, to allow enough time to bring it home safe at whatever speed you want.

15.2V (3.8V/cell ) For storage. Keep it at this voltage when not using the battery for any length of time like over the winter. For us unlucky people that have to deal with winter. i:)i

16.8V (4.2V/cell ) Highest voltage the battery can hold or fully charged.
Greetings Palladian...most excellent info...I agree one hundred percent. ..please keep contributing your excellent research to this site...I appreciate your posting this...I agree from my own experience that you are SPOT ON!

Typhoon H crash video on YouTube. This was posted today. The video explains it better than any of you or I can. Power management would have save his TH. Low power kept his ST 16 from communicating and he lost it. Just goes to show you. Thanks for sharing RBC.

I spent several hours over the weekend reading threads and watching videos on Lipo batteries and took notes etc.. This is the guide I came up with and I think it is pretty accurate. I am not an expert in any way but this information is from various sources and seems to be the best overall advice.

I wanted a nice easy to search guide that new users could reference. If that exists, my apologies, I can delete this.

13.2V (3.3V/cell) Lowest voltage the battery should EVER be at. Below this the battery will most likely die. NEVER EVER let it get this low. If it is even possible on the H.

14.0V (3.5V/cell ) ABSOLUTE lowest level your voltage should ever be at to land for Lipo's in general. Below 14V is too low for good battery health, It is not recommend letting the H get this low. The warning will kick in before this so I don't think you can even run it this low thankfully.

Some guys report that they just land when the warning comes on at 14.3V. Feel free to do this but it is not the advice from everyone. This would be the absolute minimum voltage you should ever land at with the H IMHO. Hence the warning. i:)i

14.4V (3.6V/cell) Reported Lipo lowest safe level for a slow speed (not pushing the motors if far away) return and landing. Consensus is to land before you even reach this level to be safe. This is the "oops I was not paying attention and need to bring it home now" level if you forgot. You can drain the battery down to this and probably be okay but with variations in batteries and other factors you may or may not have issues over time.

14.8V (3.7V/cell) SAFE landing. The recommended voltage to start landing at. This takes into account battery differences, the accuracy of the reported voltage and reading the voltages under load. Usual advice is your battery will last the longest not letting it get too much below this level. This is having about 15% remaining on the battery. Some say you can run it even lower if you want to get max flight time but I would land no lower than 14.6V or maybe 14.5V. This is more for battery health than running out of power.

15.0V (3.75V/cell) If your drone is far away from you start thinking about bringing it home at 15V, or just below, to allow enough time to bring it home safe at whatever speed you want.

15.2V (3.8V/cell ) For storage. Keep it at this voltage when not using the battery for any length of time like over the winter. For us unlucky people that have to deal with winter. i:)i

Thanks for sharing

One of the other threads stated that battery storage should be at 15.4v - can anyone tell me which is right?

This again....

Storage charge to 3.85v max per cell and 3.7v minimum per cell under no load. If you go below 3.7v then charge it upto 3.85v max and put them in storage again.

Yuneec really need to address this in the manual as clearly many users are not verse with lipos....which is perfectly acceptable btw and not a complaint to anyone other than yuneec.

Last edited:
thanks for the info - I am happy with the principle but other people are saying different voltages, that's the confusion.

I appreciate it is difficult to find good info but unfortunately most people who fly these have no business commenting on lipo voltages as they know nothing about them.....i am not one of those people.

I am not here to justify my opinion but i have been using lipos as a sponsored lipo pilot in model planes and helis for many many years....read into that what you will.

If you want to land at 15v the be my guest but you are losing out on flight time if you want to use it, that is all.

I am not too worried about flight time - I just don't want to damage my batteries. Landing at 14.3v keeps things simple for me ;-)

Can I just check in case I land early - is there a max voltage that I should check for when thinking of battery storage?

I appreciate it is difficult to find good info but unfortunately most people who fly these have no business commenting on lipo voltages as they know nothing about them.....i am not one of those people.

I am not here to justify my opinion but i have been using lipos as a sponsored lipo pilot in model planes and helis for many many years....read into that what you will.

If you want to land at 15v the be my guest but you are losing out on flight time if you want to use it, that is all.

Well I said start "thinking" of bringing it home at 15V, not land. I am not arguing with you, or anyone man. I respect your advice. If we get a consensus when dealing with the H I am more than happy to change the recommendations.

The main problem is the H is not a helo or plane and is brand new. We just don't know how accurate the ST16 is in displaying the voltage, especially under load, nor do we know much about these specific batteries yet as far as how well they are made etc... That is why I kept my voltages conservative. We also simply do not know the discharge rate on the H. Maybe on a plane or other drone it drains slower so you have more time? I am just unsure as yet myself.

All the voltages are accurate as far as the allowed lowest, storage etc.. These are standard voltage recommendations from guys like you. From what I have read and the videos I watched all the voltages I listed are within the correct range for storage etc...

The only one really up for debate is the landing voltage recommendation. I admit it is an unknown.

That is why early on I adjusted this to basically land between 14.4 and 14.8. I still think that is a good overall voltage for the H until we get more data points.

I am very happy to adjust the list as we discuss it if need be.

I just wanted an overall safe guide and that is why I posted it. i:)i

Last edited:
Hey buddy, I wasn't aiming anything at your good self in particular.

We know enough about how the batts are made to give good information.

We know they are in the region of 6400mah and we know the IRs are at a very good level. The cells are of a decent quality I would say without knowing a C rating, but C ratings don't mean a whole lot as no one rates them the same anyway so pinch of salt.

You are right this isn't a plane or heli, it is MUCH simpler as the amp draw is much less than a decent heli or plane, so the battery is under very little stress by modern standards. Even crap batts these days are 15c rated and that is plenty for this type of aircraft with the battery size. To put this into perspective, i only get 4.5 mins from 6s 5000mah and I land at 3.3v per cell. You can fly this 4s 6000mah ish battery to about 18 mins. The amp draws are not on the same league. The batts are not stressed in this H and the low IR shows they are decent cells. What they are like 50 cycles in though I watch with interest :)

I can only speak of my H but it had same firmware as the rest, 14.3v under load means I see 14.6 ish off load which is spot on. It is very close to that with a voltage meter too. Voltage based algorithms are very easy to show and if you use the yuneec warnings, which is as per above, you will have little or no problems.

People are massively over thinking this and it is down to 3 things for me.

1. Yuneec should give more lipo advice in manual. Keep in mind how poor the stock charger is, it should at the minimum show you cell voltage and mah back in my opinion.

2. People posting numbers with no real idea what they are talking about.

3. Common sense needs to be applied until yuneec put it in a manual, if you are 500 meters out and you see 14.3v then you probably are going for a walk and buying another lipo real soon.

Get out flying and enjoy, plan to be on ground at whatever voltage you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobjazz
I agree man, use whatever works for you. Cannot argue with that.

I think battery health wise we are still good to continue to say land between 14.5 and 14.8. At least for now. From everything I read I truly feel draining it down to 14.4 is the bare minimum you should ever land at. I think the warning should be set at that myself.

15.0V (3.75V/cell) If your drone is far away from you, but still in LOS, start thinking about bringing it home at 15V, or just below, to allow enough time to bring it home safe at whatever speed you want.

Excellent post - Thanks for your hard work - I agree with all of it.

15.0V (3.75V/cell) If your drone is far away from you, but still in LOS, start thinking about bringing it home at 15V, or just below, to allow enough time to bring it home safe at whatever speed you want.

I have three Yuneec 'Power 4" LiPO batteries for my H. They all say 5400 mAh 4S/14.8V(79.9Wh)
How do you get 16.8V as the Highest voltage the battery can hold or fully charged from that?
I've been charging my batteries to the 14.8V listed on the battery.
I'm confused!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin