Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Been a long time since I flew, What prep do I need to do?

Reaction score
I need information like do I need to cycle the batteries? How many times?
Batteries have been at storage voltage for about a year to 14 months.
Nothing has been powered up since then.
I know I will have to do the "Calibration Dance." I just more concerned about the electronics and batteries.

Last edited:
I know I will have to do the "Calibration Dance." I just more concerned about the electronics and batteries.
May be an idea to check the Internal Resistance of your batteries if you have the means to do so. Obviously such a long storage would not have done them any favors but that does not mean that they will have been significantly damaged especially if they've been stored in favorable conditions: I've heard that some people have bought 'new' batteries that turned out to be getting on for 3 years old and they still performed well. You will only need to cycle once but treat your first flights as if you were flying a new or 'unknown' aircraft for the first time. That means a hover test flight with no smart *** moves.

Same with your ST16. You only need to cycle that once but I think there may be a danger that the battery could have lost power during storage...whether it has lost too much depends on the health of the battery when you put it into storage

Stick your TH on to the GUI and check everything that you can check particularly the motors. Also do a physical check on the motors...turning them with your fingers looking for anything that feels rough.

The longest I've left a drone on the shelf between flights was almost 3 years however the batteries were not an issue since I continued to use the batteries in a similar aircraft so they didn't stagnate.

Once you are satisfied that it is good to fly leave it powered on but with motors switched off for 15 minutes before launching, and don't show off...remember, it's a test flight and it's a test flight for each of your batteries!

IMPORTANT EDIT. I read 'cycle' as a power cycle. If you are talking about a 'rejuvenation' cycle like what dji used to advise after 25 charges on their P2 smart batteries, then don't. The batteries for the TH aren't smart. If you 'rejuvenate' a TH battery that way you will kill it.

Last edited:
Lipo batteries do not need to be cycled. Check the battery voltage they are at now to determine if they may have self discharged to a damaging level. Check to assure they have not puffed up during that time. If all looks good charge them as you normally would.

Every calibration will need to be performed before the next flight. Before flying, allow the system to sit powered up outside away from structures for 15 minutes or so to update the GPS data and to let the GPS backup battery to recharge.

Lipo batteries do not need to be cycled. Check the battery voltage they are at now to determine if they may have self discharged to a damaging level. Check to assure they have not puffed up during that time. If all looks good charge them as you normally would.

Every calibration will need to be performed before the next flight. Before flying, allow the system to sit powered up outside away from structures for 15 minutes or so to update the GPS data and to let the GPS backup battery to recharge.
Ahh. Yes. I read 'Cycled' as a charge cycle. Quite right...Our Yunnec Lipos do not, and should not be cycled. DJI used to advise 'rejuvenation' cycling their smart batteries (at least the P2 batteries) every 20 to 25 charges, this done by running the battery in the aircraft until the aircraft shuts down. You do that with a Power 4 battery and you will bugger it up.

Many thank's, Pat, for the clarification.

The only thing I would add to the good advise above: Remove the camera for the 1st couple of flights until you are certain everything is normal. After charging the ST open Hardware Monitor and check the sticks, sliders, etc. The sticks are particularly sensitive to storage and can get oxidation on the pots. Lots of agitation and stirring usually cleans them up.

And, BTW, nice to see you back here.

DJI installs a bunch of circuitry in their batteries ours do not have, in part to set values for DJI’s voltage monitoring/battery health system. Re-calibrating their battery health system is the reason their batteries need to be cycled periodically. The cycling does nothing to improve the battery itself.

BTW, DJI’s smart circuitry is precisely why no other batteries can be used in their aircraft as the smart code has to communicate with the aircraft for the battery circuit to function.

If I read right you mention they've been at storage voltage for 14 months, so you have the capability to place them in storage and monitored them?

Yes I have volt meters and I checked them every so often and all looks good.

DJI installs a bunch of circuitry in their batteries ours do not have, in part to set values for DJI’s voltage monitoring/battery health system. Re-calibrating their battery health system is the reason their batteries need to be cycled periodically. The cycling does nothing to improve the battery itself.

BTW, DJI’s smart circuitry is precisely why no other batteries can be used in their aircraft as the smart code has to communicate with the aircraft for the battery circuit to function.
That's how Apple computers shot themselves in the foot when they went commercial. All of your peripherals and internal add on hard-drives, ram, etc. had to be purchased from apple and they were ridiculously over priced.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33