Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best camera set up on 4K

Reaction score
I'm one of the many patiently (and sometimes not patiently) awaiting my Typhoon H. As it looks to have similar specs as the 4K, can people give a newbie some advice as to the best format for filming. I realize I could film in 4K, but I don't at this stage have any way of playing it back to get the full effect. I presume 1080 HD is the next best setting.... Are 4K photos easily viewable?
I'd appreciate any feedback..

I just shoot 1080,I have a 4K Chroma and just find that the 1080 is easier at the moment for myself.

Back in the day I used to shoot at 480i. When 1080P came out I was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon. There was no place to play the video and I didn't have an HDTV yet but I still recorded everything at 1080P. Looking back, shooting everything at 1080P was one of the best decisions of my life! The footage I've taken of my family is priceless! The professional work I did at 1080P is still watchable and looks great. The 480P footage looks like crap!

Editing is a *****! I built a high-end, 8-core CPU with a GeForce video card so it's not too bad. Adobe Premiere uses the video card's CUDA processors to speed up rendering. I'm able to scrub and move around without much skipping. Realtime playback can get chunky as soon as you start color grading though.

Storage is a non-issue with hard drives being so cheap. USB 3.0 hard drives are fast enough to play back 4K video.

Micro SD cards are stupid cheap right now. I bought a Samsung 64GB micro SD card for $15 (watch out for scammers)!

In fact let's put this into proper perspective. If there were aerial drone footage in Egypt of people building the Pyramids 4000 years ago, would you watch it?

I'm no profit but I do know the future... Everyone will be on 8K monitors, streaming everything via the internet. Shoot 4K video now and thank me in 20 years...

Reactions: humboldt 707
Back in the day I used to shoot at 480i. When 1080P came out I was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon. There was no place to play the video and I didn't have an HDTV yet but I still recorded everything at 1080P. Looking back, shooting everything at 1080P was one of the best decisions of my life! The footage I've taken of my family is priceless! The professional work I did at 1080P is still watchable and looks great. The 480P footage looks like crap!

Editing is a *****! I built a high-end, 8-core CPU with a GeForce video card so it's not too bad. Adobe Premiere uses the video card's CUDA processors to speed up rendering. I'm able to scrub and move around without much skipping. Realtime playback can get chunky as soon as you start color grading though.

Storage is a non-issue with hard drives being so cheap. USB 3.0 hard drives are fast enough to play back 4K video.

Micro SD cards are stupid cheap right now. I bought a Samsung 64GB micro SD card for $15 (watch out for scammers)!

In fact let's put this into proper perspective. If there were aerial drone footage in Egypt of people building the Pyramids 4000 years ago, would you watch it?

I'm no profit but I do know the future... Everyone will be on 8K monitors, streaming everything via the internet. Shoot 4K video now and thank me in 20 years...

I couldn't agree with you more,The only Chroma available at the local r/c shop was 4K and I just went ahead with the purchase knowing that it would do 1080.all I have going now as far as computers are just iPads,I need to update to something I can work with,any suggestions?Dont go to technical on me please.l see you seem to know your stuff.

Any high-end workstation will work but I'd look more to the gaming side of things as they usually have nice video cards. If you edit with Adobe Premiere then stick with a GeForce video card. A 900 series video card would be nice.

For a CPU I'd go for a late generation i5 or i7 if you can afford it. There are also some great AMD options. I personally run an AMD 8-core rig and love it. Apps like Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, etc... can use multiple CPU cores.

16GB RAM is nice, 32GB is better.

A 3.50 GHz, i5, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960 Video Card, 1TB hard Drive, will set you back about $979 at newegg.com. This and a big external hard drive will let you handle 4K with ease. Of course you want a 4K monitor too. You can pick up a really nice Samsung 28" 4K monitor for about $500.

Nice to have stuff...

A Blu-Ray disc burner will let you burn your own Blu-Ray movies that look fantastic on a big screen. Use it for back-up as the discs hold 25GB each.

I have a couple of SSD hard drives. SSDs are solid state drives which means there's no spinning platter. They are quite a bit faster than traditional hard drives but cost a lot more. I use on SSD for my Windows operation system and another one for my applications. My system boots insanely fast and apps like Photoshop and Illustrator are crazy fast.

Everything is going USB 3.0 now. Get an external USB hard drive and SD card reader. There's no such thing as too big of a hard drive. Don't forget a backup hard drive just in case...

Buy a mechanical keyboard. Trust me on this, once you use a mechanical keyboard you'll never go back to spongy, crappy keyboards again.

Any high-end workstation will work but I'd look more to the gaming side of things as they usually have nice video cards. If you edit with Adobe Premiere then stick with a GeForce video card. A 900 series video card would be nice.

For a CPU I'd go for a late generation i5 or i7 if you can afford it. There are also some great AMD options. I personally run an AMD 8-core rig and love it. Apps like Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, etc... can use multiple CPU cores.

16GB RAM is nice, 32GB is better.

A 3.50 GHz, i5, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960 Video Card, 1TB hard Drive, will set you back about $979 at newegg.com. This and a big external hard drive will let you handle 4K with ease. Of course you want a 4K monitor too. You can pick up a really nice Samsung 28" 4K monitor for about $500.

Nice to have stuff...

A Blu-Ray disc burner will let you burn your own Blu-Ray movies that look fantastic on a big screen. Use it for back-up as the discs hold 25GB each.

I have a couple of SSD hard drives. SSDs are solid state drives which means there's no spinning platter. They are quite a bit faster than traditional hard drives but cost a lot more. I use on SSD for my Windows operation system and another one for my applications. My system boots insanely fast and apps like Photoshop and Illustrator are crazy fast.

Everything is going USB 3.0 now. Get an external USB hard drive and SD card reader. There's no such thing as too big of a hard drive. Don't forget a backup hard drive just in case...

Buy a mechanical keyboard. Trust me on this, once you use a mechanical keyboard you'll never go back to spongy, crappy keyboards again.
Outstanding answer! Wow I'm impressed I figured maybe just a good iMac or something would be the answer I'd get,but to break it down and explain it all is great,thank you.my 19 yr old daughter I'm. Sure can take from that and get old dad up and going from here,Thanks again.

I'm one of the many patiently (and sometimes not patiently) awaiting my Typhoon H. As it looks to have similar specs as the 4K, can people give a newbie some advice as to the best format for filming. I realize I could film in 4K, but I don't at this stage have any way of playing it back to get the full effect. I presume 1080 HD is the next best setting.... Are 4K photos easily viewable?
I'd appreciate any feedback..

You have to be inches in front of the screen to get effects of 4K.
I shoot 1080p, 120 FPS. Just as sharp and much better slow motion in post

You have to be inches in front of the screen to get effects of 4K.
I shoot 1080p, 120 FPS. Just as sharp and much better slow motion in post
I would respectfully disagree. I have a 4G UHD Samsung Smart TV and can stream 4k to it. The images are much crisper, colorful, sharp, and just visually pop.

The problem is almost none of my clients have 4k. If at any point you do not have 4k in the playback system, such as trying to play the video from a non 4k DVD or bluRay player, you lose that effect.

I would respectfully disagree. I have a 4G UHD Samsung Smart TV and can stream 4k to it. The images are much crisper, colorful, sharp, and just visually pop.

The problem is almost none of my clients have 4k. If at any point you do not have 4k in the playback system, such as trying to play the video from a non 4k DVD or bluRay player, you lose that effect.
What I do is render out multiple copies. First I'll setup the output for 4K. Then I'll go to Adobe Media Encoder and make a copy of the project. I'll go in and edit the output to 1080P and change the name. I upload the 4K files to YouTube and make copies of the each video format onto DVD for my clients.

I specialize in architectural photography. All the high-end builders are putting in 4K TVs now. I just shot three homes in Bend Oregon and all of them had multiple 4K TVs, although one of the homes had a small 50" HDTV in the kitchen. haha

I'm new to the whole 4K video. When I go back to playback my videos that I shot a lot of it is very choppy and stutters. Is there something wrong with the camera or is it just because what I'm playing it back on doesn't support 4K viewing? Any help would be nice. What is the best setting if this is so?

I'm new to the whole 4K video. When I go back to playback my videos that I shot a lot of it is very choppy and stutters. Is there something wrong with the camera or is it just because what I'm playing it back on doesn't support 4K viewing? Any help would be nice. What is the best setting if this is so?
You need a faster computer to playback 4K video. Some video software supports hardware decompression with GeForce video cards. You also need a hard drive fast enough to playback 4K video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval