Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Camera Calibration on H - What Does It DO?

Reaction score
The interface on the ST16 includes the ability to do "Camera Calibration" along with of course "Compass Calibration" and "Accelerometer Calibration". I'm wondering what specifically the camera calibration does.
For example does it address just exposure and other camera functions or does it also address tilt and other gimbal functions not normally associated with the camera? Thanks if anyone knows the answer...not interested in speculation.

Reactions: Steve Carr
that means the calibrations of the motors...that you get an perfect balanced image and no offset...
...nothing with the Picture itself like exposure...

The interface on the ST16 includes the ability to do "Camera Calibration" along with of course "Compass Calibration" and "Accelerometer Calibration". I'm wondering what specifically the camera calibration does.
For example does it address just exposure and other camera functions or does it also address tilt and other gimbal functions not normally associated with the camera? Thanks if anyone knows the answer...not interested in speculation.
But your vid has to communicate with the ST 16 and the camera. If and when you do it ,the calibration,the camera will go thru many motions. The camera will be level and in the proper angles (360*) I hope this helps.

Last edited:
It just calibrates the gimbal and has nothing to do with the picture video part of the camera

Every time I calibrate my gimbal the camera just goes to an upwards left position and stays there. ive left it alone for 10 minutes and nothing happens... What the?

Every time I calibrate my gimbal the camera just goes to an upwards left position and stays there. ive left it alone for 10 minutes and nothing happens... What the?

I have the same issue it does not calibrate back to straight and level in front of the camera I adjust it with the knb on top but seems like it should find home , not sure

Something that may help, and is required if calibrating the ST-16 camera functions, is to be sure all camera rotating controls are in the center position. The pan knob needs to be centered, as does the tilt knob. Off center to either side and that could end up a default limit position. I know that for sure happens when calibrating the -16 camera functions. The same happens with the speed slider during -16 calibrations.

Reactions: Sam77
My problem with the gimbal is once i calibrate all looks good then as i fly it starts to tilt to the right .....angling the horizon. that is a part of the gimbal we have no control of.

Not very impressed with the gimbal on the CGO 3 + in light winds it loses the level horizon ….. for what you pay you would expect more. I have landed and recalibrated the camera and the compass and still having the same problem. Anything I should know???

Describe what you do when you calibrate please. The process seems to mean many different things to many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Calibrating I go into the St16 controler and choose the settings calibration and choose calibration and choose Gimbal calibration and wait for a few minutes till the process has finished. Gimbal does not like windy conditions and I think ig the drone has to fly at an angle to the wind the Gimbal tends to play up. … What do you suggest?

Interesting because our results are a bit different. With mine calibrating the gimbal appears to establish a good level for both calm and windy conditions. I'll presume the H itself has also been calibrated, which may or may not have any influence on the gimbal activity. I don't really know.

Curious, do you take advantage of the gimbal switch for velocity and the lower position? During higher winds the velocity position limits the maximum upper tilt position to keep the props out of the image. Although mine also flies whatever angle is necessary to compensate for the wind the horizon generally remains level even during banked turns and yaw rotation. Maybe removing the gimbal and cleaning the contact points might help?

This problem has been since I upgraded the firmware…. I have one more firmware to do so shall see if that sorts the problem out. Have not seen a velocity switch that you mentioned.

I have the same issue. It also seems I cannot control the tilt from the controller.

Interesting because our results are a bit different. With mine calibrating the gimbal appears to establish a good level for both calm and windy conditions. I'll presume the H itself has also been calibrated, which may or may not have any influence on the gimbal activity. I don't really know.

Curious, do you take advantage of the gimbal switch for velocity and the lower position? During higher winds the velocity position limits the maximum upper tilt position to keep the props out of the image. Although mine also flies whatever angle is necessary to compensate for the wind the horizon generally remains level even during banked turns and yaw rotation. Maybe removing the gimbal and cleaning the contact points might help?

Yes, You first need to do a accelerator calibration and then the gimbal calibration

I've been using the Camera Calibration on all three of my H's - including 1 pro version.

The trick is to ensure pan knob is centered and you're on a level surface. After it stops calibration, it will most likely end up in an awkward position -- looking up over its right shoulder perhaps. Here is the important part: When it stops -- and stays put after about two minutes of gyrations - DON"T TOUCH ANY CAMERA CONTROLS AND REBOOT THE H. It will reboot with a perfectly centered camera. The other calibration is for the pan controls within the ST16 settings.

ST16 Calibration. Before doing this, be sure that ALL ST16 switches, sticks and sliders (including both camera pan controls) are in their center position).

Go to About and hit the "ABOUT" button 5 or six times. A Calibrate screen will appear. First, rotate the sticks, Camera, Rabbit and Camera Pan controls until they all turn green. Make sure all channels are Green and return them to their center position -- then select NEXT.
At this point ALL channels / controls / switches will appear. Yes -- all of them including trim, video/image, motor, landing gear etc. Operate all buttons, sticks and controls until they are all green. Then Finish. ENSURE ALL CONTROLS ARE IN CENTER - NEUTRAL Position before doing this.

Hope this helps.

Not very impressed with the gimbal on the CGO 3 + in light winds it loses the level horizon ….. for what you pay you would expect more. I have landed and recalibrated the camera and the compass and still having the same problem. Anything I should know???

I have flown my H Pro in high winds and the gimbal always stays level. You can even hold the camera in your hand and you will feel resistance. You may have something wrong with your gimbal.

This may help with gimbal/camera calibration. Instructions From Yuneec: Take note of Step #2. Also I've added one of my old videos below showing how your gimbal should react during the calibration. You can jump to it in the video at: 5:13

GIMBAL.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval