Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Captain Drone prediction 2019 - end of Yuneec?

Followed closely by changes in the software of Lenovo computers after IBM sold the brand to a Chinese company. Corporate IT departments continued to buy Lenovo’s after the sale, unaware of the “back doors” that had been introduced, causing massive security breeches.

Pat, can you substantiate that?

Lenovo bought IBM's PC business (desktops and ThinkPads) and then IBM's server business. AFAIK IBM kept buying Lenovo products for its employees and for use in their data centers for several years, they may still buy them. IBM is pretty savvy about computer security so it seems unlikely they would buy Lenovo products that could compromise the organization.

Lenovo USA is headquartered in Morrisville, NC. It's close to IBM's Research Triangle Park facility between Raleigh and Durham, NC.

Lenovo HQ is in China.

The problem with substantiating is that it provides the who, what, where, and how something was substantiated. Once that becomes open source those seeking a means to work around the process have all they need to succeed. It’s something Huawei, DJI, and others are having kittens over because what they don’t know prevents them devising new code that better conceals their actions. A great many Chinese products that can connect to the web possess back doors and concealed data transfer protocols embedded within them, and how they are found has to remain controlled.

Yes, the products continued to be bought and used after ownership transfer but there was a point afterwards some serious attention was given to correcting issues before distribution for general use occurred.

People working in corporate IT security and a few government alphabet agencies were those that initially discovered the issues. I’ll leave further expansion to them.

I have watched Captain Drone videos occasionally. I noted two years ago how he gushed over the Typhoon H. His one year and two year reviews of the H(had a noob lady try it) were also very positive. He liked the Mantis Q, after 5 months still liked how it flies, praised the updates, and lamented over the lack of a gimbal. Well, that lack is what slows me down as well. It is only recently that he seems to be gushing over the DJI family of drones. He talks about how they seem to release a new product "each month" to survive. I feel the same abut drones the way I feel about computers. leading edge = bleeding edge. Higher prices, less developed software, bug. I like the mature platform of my new H. I ordered a realsense module and a wizard to complete the package. I have dealt with Yuneec Customer service twice. Flawless interaction both times. I really do not think Yuneec is going anywhere.

The problem with substantiating is that it provides the who, what, where, and how something was substantiated. Once that becomes open source those seeking a means to work around the process have all they need to succeed. It’s something Huawei, DJI, and others are having kittens over because what they don’t know prevents them devising new code that better conceals their actions. A great many Chinese products that can connect to the web possess back doors and concealed data transfer protocols embedded within them, and how they are found has to remain controlled.

Yes, the products continued to be bought and used after ownership transfer but there was a point afterwards some serious attention was given to correcting issues before distribution for general use occurred.

People working in corporate IT security and a few government alphabet agencies were those that initially discovered the issues. I’ll leave further expansion to them.

Pat, I'm not arguing. I am a retired IT systems architect who worked at IBM for 21 years and then 19 years at banks where IT security was job # one. I'm pretty sure I'd have heard about any issues with Lenovo gear when I was working since the bank had IT security's blessing to buy Lenovo gear for employees. That said I've been retired for 5 years + so I'm not completely up to date but friends still report some of what's going on.

Yes, the Chinese were constantly looking to hack into everything. They were pretty brazen about it back then. Yes, I'm quite aware of the current state of things with Huawei.

Blade drones and their tech level were also mentioned. I wonder if the poster is aware they were made by Yuneec?
I owned one of the first Blade drones, but wasn' t aware they were made by Yuneec.

I have owned an H since release. The H and H plus I suspect are the most capable and underated machines other there.

To this day I still pull out my war torn H for high speed follow, high winds or to get the tough shot requiring a 360 degree gimbal and retracts.

Nothing DJI has is of interest too me I just gave away my Mavic Pro and P4; thier optical follow modes are pathetic and a waste of my time.

I want an H Plus and hoping Yuneec plays their card's right. It's usually stupid upper level management decisions that ruin things. The product is top shelf IMO.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Cap Drone is a good guy but lets face it, hes very pro DJI. Hes welcome to his opinion but just take it as what it is and don't lose any sleep over it.

Reactions: PatR
Something to consider; Yuneec has never been noted for giving product away for review purposes. The only reviewer I know gets them os the guy that pronounces “Yuneec” in a manner that suggests it’s a castrated male guarding a harem.

I’ve seen several reviewers become absolutely irate when a manufacturer would not give them new drone products and their following reviews, if they did one, reflected that anger. If they did not actually get their hands on product to review they often tended to malign the untested product. A case of getting even for being slighted.

That may be what we see in the Cpt. drone video.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Or the German guy that flew an H into a tree with obstacle off then started to weep.

Oh, DJI flew him to China with accommodations?

I doubt that DJI would give reviewers free stuff, or give them airfares and accommodations. The only vblogger that DJI is close with is Casey that gets perks. Insider scoop, Philip Bloom was paid for all the commercials, he is a paid customer. The only videographer that did not jump into the DJI wagon is Brandon Li, because “he is very picky”

The fist dibs of product release during the NYC unveiling goes out to the bloggers at discounted price, and DJI has a sponsorship program that supports the bloggers. If we base the census via social media. DJI at this point does not need to push their products, now that everyone is on the bandwagon, and therefore Free advertisement. The marketing lessons in the RC world during the early 90’s is being applied.

Social Media is powerful and content is what Yuneec does not have at this moment, as well as the intended age target.

A product will push itself if it has the right ingredients, and in this millennial age, everyone is hooked on a drug called Likativity. * Bloggers are very influential.

Last edited:
Meanshile, what is happeneing with the Phantom line? Finally going EOL? DJI stopped making them last October and there is no indication what's next. Hard to believe they would leave a huge hole in their line between the Mavic and Matrice. (How's that for thread drift ? )

Meanshile, what is happeneing with the Phantom line? Finally going EOL? DJI stopped making them last October and there is no indication what's next. Hard to believe they would leave a huge hole in their line between the Mavic and Matrice. (How's that for thread drift ? )

That question is brewing in social media, and DJI will answer it (hex [emoji54] scout in the box)

To change the script. Hopefully the new Yuneec management will be more energetic and active in social media. Specially now that it is looking that Yuneec is moving towards a great positive direction.

Reactions: Phaedrus
There was speculation among DJI reps there would be no more Phantoms after the 4. I don’t recall where I saw it but there were rumors elsewhere the Phantom model was encountering some legal issues that could end the model.

No big deal as they have plenty of other models to work with.

True, DJI has many different aircraft, it is just odd that they would leave a big hole between the Mavic and Matrice lines.

Similar to the movie Rocky. Rocky 4 got extremely boring. I am glad that the Phantom will soon be gone. I did not like the looks of it, I sold mine not too long ago. No regrets, cuz I’m happy with my m2p, and inspires. (But more grateful for my TH Plus and the new build)

There was speculation among DJI reps there would be no more Phantoms after the 4. I don’t recall where I saw it but there were rumors elsewhere the Phantom model was encountering some legal issues that could end the model.

No big deal as they have plenty of other models to work with.

Now that you will be back to work soon, are you making room for more?

One more I think but it won’t be one of the common brands or configurations. It will be a mission configurable Y6.

Combine those stats with the extreme disparity in personal wealth accumulation the world ends up with a whole lot of displaced and hungry poor people that will threaten international economic stability. At some point either a highly communicable disease or massive war will erupt to decrease world population. History always repeats itself.

I think those of us in the UK get the best customer satisfaction and service from Yunnec, I certainly have no bad experiences. My flying friends question my preference for Yuneec, but they tend to need 'easy to fly' drones.

Incidentally, I still fly my Solo 3DR and despite the batteries being 5 years old they still do the job!

PatR, why didn't you warn us of the imminent highly communicable disease????

;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy