Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Carbon fiber props or not?

Reaction score
Needing to replace a set of props. Im looking around and seeing a lot of varied pricing. I undertand the importance of having the right props. My question still , as I cant bring myself to pay $40 for plastic props. If im gonna pay that much, is there anything wrong with Carbon fiber? I thought I was to understand you want the props to break in event of collision.
And regarding OEM props, aren't they made of ABS plastic? I see these on ebay for $20. Just trying to not overpay. Pehaps ebay props and a prop balancer will work? TIA

40 dollars sounds high. I just did a quick search and Best Buy has a complete stock Yuneec set for 29.99 HERE
And if thats too much, here is an after market complete set for the H with the motor mounts on Amazon for 18.99 and free two day shipping HERE

Consider that if you had carbon props on when you had your accident they too would have broken. Lots of discussion, good and bad about carbon fiber propeller properties and characteristics in threads on this board here is one with a lot of info and discussion. Carbon Propellers

Personally, considering the way in which the propellers are attached to the motors, I would stick with the recommended stock propellers, unless and/or until they are proven to have a defect or weakness.

I would stick with the recommended stock propellers, unless and/or until they are proven to have a defect or weakness.[/QUOTE]
This is my main question I guess. Looking for anyone that can tell me definitively if non OEM props have test well or not

That link to the other thread will answer your question but I'll cut to the chase for you; ;)you will not find a consensus answer in the affirmative or negative on that subject on this forum. I would not use aftermarket props for three reasons.

1] The mating surfaces between the props and motor mounts are more critical than a typical bolt on prop to a shaft.

2] As a commercial operator I am required to maintain my craft according to the manufactures procedures unless there is none, at which point I have to establish my own. To this point I have not read of any OEM prop failures other than in cases where contact with terrain or structures so I have no reason to change.

3] From the Typhoon H Operating Manual - Page 26 -

Yuneec Electric Aviation cannot be held liable for any damage, injury or for use of the product in violation with legal regulations, especially in the following
circumstances:

. . . .Malfunction of the product caused by retrofitting or replacement with components which did not come from Yuneec Electric Aviation.

Reactions: THoff and RedBeard
The only after market props I would put any faith in would come from Aeronaut. They have been consistently good for other Yuneec airframes. As for being better the answer is totally subjective. I've used them on a Chroma and they seemed to make a little less noise but beyond that I didn't note significant benefit. You won't obtain them for any less cost than a stock set of props though. They usually cost more.

Im so torn in what to do right now. Like I said, most everywhere is selling OEM props in 3 packs for 19.99. Im finding it difficult to pull the trigger on $40 of plastic when I see cheaper options. At the same time, Im afraid to find out the hard way cheap is no bueno

Reactions: Ty Pilot
That Best Buy link is 29.99 for a full set - 3 A props and 3 B props. Perhaps you could just make a WTB post in the classifieds for a used set. I bet someone has a set lying around they would like to get rid of for a few bucks.

I've heard stories of the cheap Chinese props breaking under stress in flight. for me the stock props are worth the money for the guarantee that they wont break in normal conditions

Reactions: THoff
The OEM props are also available on Amazon for $28 - $30.

I've researched this issue extensively and come to the conclusion that the OEM ABS props are the the way to go. Through research as well as personal experience I've also adopted a policy to put on a fresh set every 40 - 50 flight hours because of the pitch distortion that can occure with ABS structural fatigue over time.

There is also suspicion that some of the OEM Yuneec props that can be found heavily discounted online are props that were rejected by the factory and fished out of the trash.

Great info guys. I ended up going with the ones on Amazon for $30. I just couldnt chance my drone being destroyed over a matter of $20. I also got a replacement motor for $28. The arm latches had to be ordered from Vertigo Drones, so unfortunately its gonna be a couple weeks before im flying again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs