Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CES 2018; Yuneec 3 announces: Typhoon H Plus, Firebird FPV airplane and HD racer drones

Thank you, I thought it was the same article I'd read elsewhere.
I don't like the idea for any drone. Turns out we're gonna have a DJI 2 now???????? [emoji15]

A pilot must be responsible enough to fly safely without anyone coming to tell you where you can and can't fly. Implementing that seems like a big mistake to me.

Arruntus,

Yuneec has provided commercial users of the H-480 unrestricted software for a long time. There’s reason to believe they’ll do similar for the H Plus.

Yuneec split their product line into consumer and commercial. Their commercial products, 520 and 920 contain no flight restrictions. The consumer or amateur level products do. As the H-480 was a cross over platform they made it possible for those that could prove commercial status to open up the software. As the H Plus is largely the same as the 480 but at a higher price point it too is a cross over platform.

Hopefully you caught my sarcasm with the higher price point, which also applies to the 520 pricing. Without waypoint programming the Plus remains a mostly manual aircraft unless you choose to use half a battery to fly and program a CCC flight. The 520 is still an expensive one trick pony and the user is severely limited by software access restriction. You get half of what you need for either system.

Last edited:
We will have to wait and see PatR.
But there needs to be a very clear distinction between the two or one is going to fail.. and it will be the H520.

Saw that one coming, and provided part of my reasoning for going with an “obsolete” 920[emoji6]

FYI, I've had a 3DR X8 running Pixhawk that for the last few years has done everything the 520 can do, and much, much more. With the ability to carry any payload that will fit the frame, a choice of any battery you needed, and open software it's still superior to the 520 in most every way with one exception, it doesn't have a view screen on the transmitter,but it does have telemetry radio and can be flown from a laptop. It might be a little slower in top speed (which is user adjustable) but it certainly has similar capability in high winds. It's the second reason I could not go with a 520.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haydn
Seems like it’s a 520 painted dark gray with an E90 and dumbed down ST16 from a 520.

It will likely be a good bird but I don’t want to be the first one to own one. Maybe after a few firmware updates.
I think you're right, a gray / black 520, so if that's the case, there will be no reliability problem

Arruntus,

Yuneec has provided commercial users of the H-480 unrestricted software for a long time. There’s reason to believe they’ll do similar for the H Plus.

Yuneec split their product line into consumer and commercial. Their commercial products, 520 and 920 contain no flight restrictions. The consumer or amateur level products do. As the H-480 was a cross over platform they made it possible for those that could prove commercial status to open up the software. As the H Plus is largely the same as the 480 but at a higher price point it too is a cross over platform.

Hopefully you caught my sarcasm with the higher price point, which also applies to the 520 pricing. Without waypoint programming the Plus remains a mostly manual aircraft unless you choose to use half a battery to fly and program a CCC flight. The 520 is still an expensive one trick pony and the user is severely limited by software access restriction. You get half of what you need for either system.
@PatR I have my fingers crossed that the H+ is being positioned as a dumbed down version of the H520 with some hand-holding and some limitations for non-commercial users (such as the airspace restrictions, etc), but still contains a majority of the (proposed) H520 capability - assuming that Yuneec views it that way and adds ALL the features they promised, printed, alluded to in videos, etc to the H520 that still isn't there.

I'm hoping that the marketing material and hype is to get traction for the H+, and that the features mentioned are the very same ones being worked on for the H520 hopefully as I type. And that between now and the launch of the H+ those of us who have bought an H520 for doing more than just surveying / mapping (including video work) will get these features.

If the extra $$$ for the H520 ends up being for additional mapping features and no dog-leash for airspace restrictions, I'll be fine, so long as there is parity with the H+ in all other areas for camera work and automated flight, etc

That's a lot of 'hoping' right there...

Reactions: arruntus
Yes, that's a lot of hope. Because if he does not, he won a customer with his H520 but will lose it very quickly if he does not move for three months because I should invest in a Inspire 2 of Dji for future missions. (missions for tourism and heritage offices) and only enhancement with smooth videos goes hand in hand. I can not afford jerky orbits.
He must have confused PRO and a piggy bank.

Reactions: Graham
Looks like a typo to me. Who would brag about horizon distortion?
I was taking part in a discussion about the E90 distortion on facebook when Douglas Spotted Eagle commented that it was better to fix the distortion in post-processing as that would be higher quality than having the camera fix it. So, I have little faith that the issue will be addressed.

my hunch is the price for the h480 plus is copter only no camera so 1799 plus camera cost say it e90 running 1200 makes it around 3000 machine. however questions abound gps component being used same or downgraded from the h520. as in return to launch point be about the same as the h520 or 26ft from the controller like the old h480. also waiting on flight modes is smart mode made a comeback or is still manual angle and return to home on the st16s. how stable the radio and video control link is it going to be almost identical to the h520 or the same as the old h480. stock up on the 1st gen h480 batteries for the h520 and h480 plus because i am expecting same battery cost as for h520 batteries.h480plus battery specs point to h520 battery there for same cost about 200 a pop.

but looks like replacement body parts may finally be coming for the h520 form the h480plus side (referring to arms and motors)

Hi,

Apart from the orange color, the H520 also allows Typhoon H plus, photogrammetry with waypoints programming ... if I understood the marketing strategy. So, in my opinion, most likely that the DataPilot software system can not be used on the Typhoon H Plus, even buying an additional ST16S. If so, with a software lock ... To follow ... Question: it comes with the C23, similar to the E90 but apparently in black. On the other hand, will it be possible to mount similar cameras as other E50 and CGO-ET on the Typhoon H Plus to evolve at the cameras level ? Not sure. So the H520 could be a more complete and versatile platform in the end, but also more expensive. The C23 alone would limit the possibilities with a single wide angle to make images in proprietary and closed plateform like Yuneec. Everything depends on what you want to do ... The strategy seems to have the same base in 520 mm, with different envelopes (orange or black) and full software capabilities (H520) or less (Typhoon H Plus). Less inventory to manage, except for the plastic color envelope, with internal components, landing gear ... similar or identical. Easier to update. To follow in the future...

This will be a difference between the consumer are commercial versions.
U would think that they won't do NFZ release anymore. As they have the option for those who need it.
I don't see a problem with cheaper stones implementing NFZ to stop cowboys and idiots flying where and when they shouldn't.

Why do they make cars run more than 120km/h if you can't run more? Why do they make weapons that kill if you can't kill them?

We have to be responsible and act with brains in every situation, the opposite is to restrict the freedom that is never to be done.

Putting doors in the field is never a good idea. Anyway we have to wait and see what really happens but it doesn't look very good :(

I'm not against Typhoon H PLUS at all, I think it's going to be a good drone and it's going to have good characteristics. In the end it's an H520 in disguise.

Arruntus,

Precisely for that reason, for the lack of information, for the continuous delays, for the introduction of a new drone that apparently has many of the functionalities that the H520 should have, etc....... it is the anger. That unfortunately and for what they are commenting on is widespread even among distributors. I'm having trouble with the English, but I understand you perfectly ;)

I was taking part in a discussion about the E90 distortion on facebook when Douglas Spotted Eagle commented that it was better to fix the distortion in post-processing as that would be higher quality than having the camera fix it. So, I have little faith that the issue will be addressed.

Puffffff, no comment.

Hi,

The versatility in terms of optical possibilities (E50, E90, CGO-ET), photogrammetry with waypoint programming, with DataPilot software system, ST16S ... could well cost US $ 1000.00 more, compared to the Typhoon H Plus. It is the rounding calculation that I made between the price of US $ 2800.00 of the H520 complete with E90 camera and the Typhoon H Plus around US $ 1800.00 complete, with its equivalent camera C23.

Hi,

Apart from the orange color, the H520 also allows Typhoon H plus, photogrammetry with waypoints programming ... if I understood the marketing strategy. So, in my opinion, most likely that the DataPilot software system can not be used on the Typhoon H Plus, even buying an additional ST16S. If so, with a software lock ... To follow ... Question: it comes with the C23, similar to the E90 but apparently in black. On the other hand, will it be possible to mount similar cameras as other E50 and CGO-ET on the Typhoon H Plus to evolve at the cameras level ? Not sure. So the H520 could be a more complete and versatile platform in the end, but also more expensive. The C23 alone would limit the possibilities with a single wide angle to make images in proprietary and closed plateform like Yuneec. Everything depends on what you want to do ... The strategy seems to have the same base in 520 mm, with different envelopes (orange or black) and full software capabilities (H520) or less (Typhoon H Plus). Less inventory to manage, except for the plastic color envelope, with internal components, landing gear ... similar or identical. Easier to update. To follow in the future...

I think you've got it all right, but I think the H PLUS is going to include the camera. We'll have to wait for confirmation.

They approve the base of the H520 which is a good base and release a product with less characteristics and price. I think it's good but it can't be that the development of the "big brother" has been neglected. The major upgrade of the H520 should have come out the same day as the H PLUS announcement and then I don't think there would have been any hits. The H PLUS features are still only features on paper but the H520 is very real.

You want a drone that has X characteristics for 1800€, buy the H PLUS. You want the features of the H PLUS plus other much more advanced features for 2800€, buy the H520.
Apart from the mapping features, I keep reading this on the official website:

Our DataPilot? software system enables users to efficiently and consistently create orthomaps, 3D scans, crop data imagery, or cinematic movement for repeatable, recallable aerial flight paths, without requiring expensive 3rd party software.

Does this mean that we are going to have a photogrammetry software? Because the DataPilot only creates flight plans, (only of one type, circular inspection is missing) right now it doesn't do what it says there. If Yuneec is going to provide a program that allows it, the difference with the H PLUS would be very clear and would compensate the price difference without any doubt. There would be the two drones clearly differentiated and then the price difference would be understood.

Hi,

I think you've got it all right, but I think the H PLUS is going to include the camera. We'll have to wait for confirmation.

I am French even if I write in English ;-)
It seems that the C23 camera similar to the E90 camera is delivered with the future Typhoon H Plus. The price of US $ 1800.00 therefore includes the camera in the comparison.

Before, for the H520, it still remains to make possible team mode and features as Ccc, Point of interest... or other possibilties the H480 allows it's not the case for the H520 to date. When the distortion evoked by some of the E90 camera, it is always better to correct it in terms of optics than software, especially in video. For a manufacturer it is cheaper to manufacture a lower quality optics and its defects are then corrected with a software way during postraitement. Developing software costs less overall than producing optics, especially when the software is purchased and developed by a third-party manufacturer ;-) But, it is still necessary that the software can do it. Each optics has a different profile. Software like Adobe Lightroom or others do not consider a profile for the E90 so far and probably never. It will then tinker to achieve a satisfactory result that is not allowed to everyone and is not pro as approach.

Last edited:
closer look at ces pictures of the h480 plus camera specs brief description compared to h520 manual is revealing that unless they change it . the cam is e90 and not c23 and therefore will be a separate purchase. now next question camera required to fly or can fly without the camera and get the full telemetery info like the classic h480. will the hplus be using cvs or tlog for data logs.

well i stand corrected it not e90 and yes it is included. Thanks to yuneec Europe web site for clarification.
Yuneec C23 camera specifications are similar to the Yuneec E90 camera ;-)

• Weight: 350 g;
  • Sensor: 1" CMOS;
  • Effective pixels: 20 MP;
  • Video resolution max: 4K/60FPS;
  • Focal Lenght: 23 mm;
  • View field: 91° ....
Source:
YUNEEC Typhoon H Plus | Specs - Yuneec

to my dismay few of my questions just been answered by yuneec uk site. crud the controller is not identical entirely there is no manual flight mode switch to shut off gps not good in my opinion a step backwards. also the return to home is back to 8m from the controller location aka a ring of inner side of 16m diameter is a no landing zone only lands outside of 8m radius. another step backwards. also meaning it not using the same gps chip the h520 using real big step backwards in accuracy. calibrations are going to be real fun with this unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss