Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CG03+ camera issue in low light, dead pixels

Reaction score
Hi all,

First, thanks for the forum and great discussions here =)
I have been flying Typhoon H for a couple of months now with great results. We made a production with inside shooting mixed with outside (not flying inside but holding H in hand), and were surprised with results. As ISO setting goes higher the picture really caught us by surprise. There's about 130 dead / burnt pixels in the picture. If you zoom in you can see mostly white, red and blue pixels all over, mostly in middle and lefthandside. This can't be seen in ST16 while shooting.

view

Outside this is not visible when it's bright enough, still need to test it in more dark but haven't had need for that yet. It can be a software issue related to higher ISO.

According to Yuneec support (we sent H back) we have the only one that has this issue, and according to them this is acceptable in these conditions and regarding camera price etc.
These pixels were mostly corrected / removed in post-production with 130 separate wire removal spots with hours of work (in AE). Nice.

What do you think =)

Ps. we are a professional video / photo production company and this is not acceptable to us, whether it's a low-cost camera or not. Beautiful machine it is otherwise =)

Juha

Attachments

• YUN00002.00_00_13_18.Still001.jpg
    YUN00002.00_00_13_18.Still001.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: Hun il Lee
You upload 3,7MB JPEG and clear the EXIF-Data :mad:

How do you know, this are all dead pixel and not "only" hot-pixel ?

You upload 3,7MB JPEG and clear the EXIF-Data :mad:

How do you know, this are all dead pixel and not "only" hot-pixel ?

Hi, that is a screen capture from video. It may be "hot" pixel also, don't really know the real factual difference and according to Yuneec there are no hot or burnt pixels existing. Those pixels are always there in darker shots so those are quite dead and always in same position... I think it's sensor related and factory issue with this camera for some. It's not meant for low light or they have issue with that at the moment. Hurrying it for the market....

Juha

Hi, that is a screen capture from video. It may be "hot" pixel also, don't really know the real factual difference and according to Yuneec there are no hot or burnt pixels existing. Those pixels are always there in darker shots so those are quite dead and always in same position... I think it's sensor related and factory issue with this camera for some. It's not meant for low light or they have issue with that at the moment. Hurrying it for the market....

Juha

OK, I will check my cgo3+ for you :)

First I can say, did last year 2015/2015 a new year firework video and did nor realize anythng like this with the "old" cgo3 from my Q500 4K

And here is my result

Exposure Time 1/30
ISO 3200

photo function in videomode

Attachments

• YUN00008_Low_Light.jpg
    YUN00008_Low_Light.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 25
And here is my result

Exposure Time 1/30
ISO 3200

photo function in videomode

On my screen that looks good. You cannot really expect 100% no dead pixels once the ISO is high on a camera in this price bracket (cheap). Remember the ideal ISO for this camera is 100!

On my screen that looks good. You cannot really expect 100% no dead pixels once the ISO is high on a camera in this price bracket (cheap). Remember the ideal ISO for this camera is 100!

and this camera is running hot, more temperture, more "hot" pixel are possible, when you are filming.

Reactions: Rayray
The sensor of this camera is the size of your smallest fingernail...the entire unit costs $1200 imagine how cheap the camera is utilizing a cell phone sized sensor...the camera is not designed for your intended purpose. It looks to me like the pixels are bleeding due to light source saturation...If you're a "professional video and photography" business you should buy more professional equipment...this sensor as you've already mentioned is not made for low light...the tiny sensor size amplifies the noise...excuse me if I'm incorrect about all of this but from the sample presented I can't tell what the content should be like. What precisely are you attempting to present to your client?

Reactions: Rayray
True but question is if video is usable at all in "normal" settings =)
The sensor of this camera is the size of your smallest fingernail...the entire unit costs $1200 imagine how cheap the camera is utilizing a cell phone sized sensor...the camera is not designed for your intended purpose. It looks to me like the pixels are bleeding due to light source saturation...If you're a "professional video and photography" business you should buy more professional equipment...this sensor as you've already mentioned is not made for low light...the tiny sensor size amplifies the noise...excuse me if I'm incorrect about all of this but from the sample presented I can't tell what the content should be like. What precisely are you attempting to present to your client?

Hi, no matter what the price is for camera purchased, I have never in my 15 years of using different cameras or drones (from 200€ to 100 000€ ) met this kind of problem =). Yuneec sells Typhoon H also as a professional solution, and it is that. Only in daylight and RAW video. Many professional companies as we use drones also for inside footage like real estate or similar, to keep the continuity in the shots and it's a modern solution for it.

Image sample was not from the clients footage, just a sample how it is. If Yuneec doesn't want this camera to be used in any other way than daylight aerial, they should mention so. But accepting poor ISO behaviour as a paying customer, no.... I'll take some night time aerial tomorrow to show how it is =)

Would you accept cell phone photos with 100 white pixels on it because it's cheap?

Debate is open =)

True but question is if video is usable at all in "normal" settings =)

Hi, no matter what the price is for camera purchased, I have never in my 15 years of using different cameras or drones (from 200€ to 100 000€ ) met this kind of problem =). Yuneec sells Typhoon H also as a professional solution, and it is that. Only in daylight and RAW video. Many professional companies as we use drones also for inside footage like real estate or similar, to keep the continuity in the shots and it's a modern solution for it.

Image sample was not from the clients footage, just a sample how it is. If Yuneec doesn't want this camera to be used in any other way than daylight aerial, they should mention so. But accepting poor ISO behaviour as a paying customer, no.... I'll take some night time aerial tomorrow to show how it is =)

Would you accept cell phone photos with 100 white pixels on it because it's cheap?

Debate is open =)
If your serious about indoor immersive quality why don't you use what I use...I've used small low cost drones like the H outdoors professionally in the Amazon, Iceland, Ecuador, Nicaragua, and Argentina and indoors in theatrical situations like ballet which was well lit...but I would never use this sort of quality indoors and refer to it as "professional" in a low light situation...but if you want to go ahead do it but quite honestly I don't want the kind of clients who would except that level of quality since the work is reflective of YOU and why would you want that sort of reputation or image to be seen when it reflects your ability as a professional? I've been in business 45 years so I must be doing something right. I just think you're unrealistic about what you expect to get with a $1200 drone indoors when you should be using a Steadicam or other more professional solution. This isn't meant to be an insult but I'm just saying I prefer to conduct business differently from you.
.Me Steadicam.jpg

Reactions: Rayray and Brent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval