Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO2 GB Drone Camera SmartPhone App

Reaction score
I still have a functioning CGO2 GB drone camera that I use on my Blade 350 QX3. However, I have recently been informed by Yuneec that the CGO2 GB camera has reached "END OF LIFE" and that there will be no further updates to the CGO2 SmartPhone app to make it compatible with newer smartphone operating systems. I have 2 questions:
1. How are other forum CGO2 drone camera users keeping their cameras operational?
2. How do forum pilots handle planned obsolescence by Yuneec of very expense equipment and software.
I for one have been very happy with the camera performance and picture/video quality. I find it very frustrating that Yuneec has stopped updating their software rendering my operational equipment useless. It makes me very concerned about spending even more money for better equipment knowning that they WILL, at some future date, decided that this equipment has reached "END OF LIFE".

Reactions: FlexK9
Hi.
Unfortunately, there is no solution to the problem, it is not planned obsolescence.
Likewise it is for cars, smartphones, computers etc.
Progress progresses, what gets old is replaced sooner or later.
The only way you have to be able to reuse the app is to find an old smartphone, reset it and not make updates to the operating system.
Personally I do not ask myself the problem because I have the TRANSMITTER ST10+ which has a small tablet built in for viewing and managing the CG 02+.

Yuneec is not alone in that boat. Every drone company that uses smart phones/tablets for the video feed and control does the same thing. The only way to avoid it is to keep an older phone/tablet and not update the OS.

Google PlayStore and the Apple App Store also have a hand in this by dropping apps that are not updated to certain standards every so often. This is where Android has the upper hand because you can save the apk file and reload it on the older phone when necessary. With iOS you are out of luck once an app is dropped from the App Store.

Why do you think it is Yuneec's problem when newer Android versions are not compatible with an Adroid app? I think Googles policy to drop functionalty, API and interfaces that have been working in the past. Talk to them to make thousands of older apps working again....

br HE

Well, it seems that Yuneec made a marketing decision to design systems that use 3rd party equipment and software. In doing this they accepted the fact that Smartphone operating software could change. Customers purchase these expensive products with an expectation of long term usability. Just because hardware reaches an "End of Life" or "Planned Obsolescence" date does not mean that equipment should become instantly useless. There are still people out there flying older equipment. There are people out that are very capable of repairing their hardware on their own. However, to continue operating hardware also requires software. Software is something that the average enthusiasts (myself included) is not capable of modifying. Manufacturer/software creators (Yuneec) out of good customer relations (if nothing else) should continue software updates until available parts are completely consumed. Yuneec could have continued with only software updates and placed them on their own web site in support of their customers. They chose not to. This forces user to abandon perfectly good equipment and purchase more very expensive equipment. This is "Planned Obsolescence" and is a company marketing decision. This is not about the customer, but rather the Companies own profit bottom line. This is why I think this is a Yuneec issue.

As a matter of reference, I would be willing to pay a fee to Yuneec to down load software that would support my equipment.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand this planed obsolescence campaign that has taken hold this past week. Yuneec is not the only company that does not support a product indefinitely. DJI and others like camera companies, computer hardware, OS developers, most any electronic entertainment system, car manufacturers, and the list goes on ad infinitum.

As for flight software that relies on third party hardware, you need to keep a system that works and not keep updating it. I still have an iPhone 5S running iOS 10 to fly my Breeze.

As stated previously, the suggestion to keep an older 3rd party Smartphone is a good one. The issue of manufacturer "Planned Obsolescence" has taught me a lessen. I will never again spend a lot of money to purchase drone equipment that relies upon 3rd party equipment. If the drone equipment and software is not self sufficient (meaning not dependent upon drone manufactures to keep up with 3rd party software changes) I will not purchase it.

It upsets me that I have perfectly usable equipment that I CAN NOT USE BECAUSE YUNEEC STOP UPDATING THE CG02 SOFTWARE.

Last edited:
I just noticed this post from many months ago. I too, still fly Yuneec Q500+ units with the CGO2+ camera. And they have stopped updating the App for my camera some time ago. But, I don't use a smartphone to link to. I use older Samsung tablets that I bought 2 of when I found out that they would work with the app and connect to the 5.8 video output of the camera. I never update the OS of these tablets. Since the Chroma and Q500 are out of production you can forget about future updates. I will include a link to a detailed process of finding a usable solution that may be of use to you. Please read it for a number of other users have replied with links to get the CGO2 app if you need it when you find a tablet that works for you.

I just noticed this post from many months ago. I too, still fly Yuneec Q500+ units with the CGO2+ camera. And they have stopped updating the App for my camera some time ago. But, I don't use a smartphone to link to. I use older Samsung tablets that I bought 2 of when I found out that they would work with the app and connect to the 5.8 video output of the camera. I never update the OS of these tablets. Since the Chroma and Q500 are out of production you can forget about future updates. I will include a link to a detailed process of finding a usable solution that may be of use to you. Please read it for a number of other users have replied with links to get the CGO2 app if you need it when you find a tablet that works for you.
When I click the Link, I received this.....
Capture.PNG

When I click the Link, I received this.....
View attachment 26879
It can be downloaded from several apk mirrors/repositories. Not saying Avast is wrong, but they are noted for false positives depending on the protection level you select. Same goes for many threat analyzers.

Reactions: Quadflyer Gary
This is interesting... when I click my above link to view my post it takes me to the post no problems. I take it that you are clinking on some links that other users have posted in response to mine. I have clicked on some and don't get that message.
He was clicking on links posted by @Vaklin for sources of the CGO2 apk.

Not simple, as usually. Especially for the US users, who're very busy with business. The logic, why sites with apk's are present at all is long and not understandable from the first look. Simple version "The free cheese is only inside the mice trap".

A little longer version. If this site gives nothing to everyone, more than viruses, no one will go to see and download anything there. This means, there is a method to get what you want to have without risk to catch a virus. At least, the .com file is not a wanted .apk file, isn't it?

Recommendations:
1. Be careful;
2. Read the whole page;
3. Disable automatic downloads. Let the decision to save or not will be yours.
4. CHeck the size of the apk with an original one. Hash too, if this is possible.
5. Use what you get.

If you don't sure all is clear, just don't use it.

P.S. Sites, like these, generates a few trillion bucks per year just from advertisements. So, a lot of people use them without pain and harm.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval