Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Chinthurst Hill

It's a strange one to be sure. I have noticed it's not so pronounced when the aircraft is moving either. Especially when moving forwards or backwards. But hovering seems to bring out the full horror! And like you said, the brighter the scene, the less noticeable it is..... I have also wondered if it could be the H itself causing it but I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of vibration? I wish I/we could sort it because otherwise the H is a great drone and I enjoy flying it.........

You and me both, my friend ! :) Yep - I concur with everything you said - definitely at its worst when hovering. I too have wondered about vibration causing it - sometimes I think my black props go on a little too easily and sit a little loosely in their hubs - don't know if that could affect the camera in that way though... it doesn't seem to affect flight performance.

I use to have the pulsating issues when using the basic defaults for video, Gorgeous, cloudy, and so on.
Once I learned to set up in manual mode, shutter speed, ISO and white balance lock, I haven't had any pulsating issues.

I do all the manual setup too, but still get the pulsing in any mode at 4K regardless. Even when it is not so noticeable in Raw mode it is possible to see that it's still doing it by increasing the contrast in post. And yet there are times when it seems entirely absent. It was there for some of the shots in this flight session above, but not in most of them, and I am at a loss for why it should be in some but not others.

MMMmm. I've been using manual settings and still get the pulsating thing. Only when I use Raw does it seem to be sort of OK. I don't know if this link will work because I don't upload video's to YouTube. But this is the first flight I ever made with the H. Sorry it's a bit boring and I apologise for the music. This was in shot using Raw and then graded. I can't see the pulsating here? Borth Ceredigion 17-09-2017.mp4

Forgot to mention, there are settings for the camera and video.
For taking pictures, I set it for raw and jpeg.
Then there's what's called "image" mode. that I found out is for the video, you can set that for raw (not advisable) video looks like death.
I leave this in "Gorgeous" mode

Forgot to mention, there are settings for the camera and video.
For taking pictures, I set it for raw and jpeg.
Then there's what's called "image" mode. that I found out is for the video, you can set that for raw (not advisable) video looks like death.
I leave this in "Gorgeous" mode
Compare the video I posted before with this one. The other video was shot in Raw with a bit of post processing. This one is shot in Gorgeous, with absolutely no post processing or editing of any kind - and thankfully no music:) I think this highlights the pulsating effect that I'm on about very well Pulsating Effect.mp4

Nice country side, @Ren57
Have you processed through HandBrake (free App) and see if you still have issues with the heart beat?

I use DaVinci Resolve. Like I said before. If I shoot in Raw it is just about acceptable but if I shoot with Neutral or Gorgeous it's awful. The scenery is the Dyfi Valley in Ceredigion Wales UK.

It's my bed time now here in the UK. Good night.

Reactions: AeroJ
Have you processed through HandBrake (free App) and see if you still have issues with the heart beat?
I have, and it doesn't make any difference I'm afraid to say :(

Here's one of several sample footage tests I made exhibiting the problem.

Yep, that's exactly the same as what I'm getting. Weird isn't it?
It really is. And it is something of a pain to set exposure correctly when looking at that horrible washed out Raw image ! Several times I have got footage I couldn't use because paranoia about the flashy thing and washed out visual feedback made me set it too high... still - as time goes on I do get better at setting this right - the video above is something of an exception because it was really quite difficult lighting conditions - very contrasty. With an ND4 on I could get it to 1/60 (double frame rate) when exposed for the ground, but I needed to drop that way down to 1/600 before the sky was looking right, and of course then the ground was pretty much solid black, so went with over-exposed sky as the lesser of 2 evils !

I have, and it doesn't make any difference I'm afraid to say :(

Here's one of several sample footage tests I made exhibiting the problem.

I don't think it's a camera issue, it's your settings.
I had the EXACT same problems you are having.

Do not use a filter / filters, the lighting is not there to process it effectively. Keep your ISO at 100, 150 makes it grainier.
You should have ISO 100, shutter 100 to160 without any filter.

I never use any filters anymore, the results are soooo much better with quality of pictures and video.
I rarely, rarely change my ISO from 100

My sunsets are kept at ISO 100 and my shutter speed as far down to 1/30

I don't think it's a camera issue, it's your settings.
I had the EXACT same problems you are having.

Do not use a filter / filters, the lighting is not there to process it effectively. Keep your ISO at 100, 150 makes it grainier.
You should have ISO 100, shutter 100 to160 without any filter.

I never use any filters anymore, the results are soooo much better with quality of pictures and video.
I rarely, rarely change my ISO from 100

My sunsets are kept at ISO 100 and my shutter speed as far down to 1/30
No its not his settings. Its definitely something wrong there ,either hardware or software.

Agree on the part that we shouldnt use filters on a camera that has less than 1'' sensor.

You can set iso up to 3200 without any flashes.150 iso works very good.The only time i had flashes on my video, was because i had shutter on auto.

How is possible to set iso to 100 and shutter 100-160 with no filter, without being way overexposed??It is not possible. Even in a day with lots of clouds.

Reactions: Rubik and AeroJ
Oops I meant 100 @ 1/250.
As I mentioned I had the same issues, but was able to resolve it.

It really is. And it is something of a pain to set exposure correctly when looking at that horrible washed out Raw image ! Several times I have got footage I couldn't use because paranoia about the flashy thing and washed out visual feedback made me set it too high... still - as time goes on I do get better at setting this right - the video above is something of an exception because it was really quite difficult lighting conditions - very contrasty. With an ND4 on I could get it to 1/60 (double frame rate) when exposed for the ground, but I needed to drop that way down to 1/600 before the sky was looking right, and of course then the ground was pretty much solid black, so went with over-exposed sky as the lesser of 2 evils !
It is a real pain. That video I posted of the Dyfi Valley, it took me one and a half hours hiking up a track with the H in its backpack strapped to my back to get that video. Totally unusable after all that effort!:mad: And the wife wasn't too impressed either, I told her it'd only be a fifteen minute walk;) Some have suggested not using filters. I don't know how that works because you're never going to get anywhere near the correct settings without using them And anyway, I only purchased ND filters when I got my H. Previously I flew a Q500. It has the same camera as the H. I never used a filter on that and yet on some old video's I took, I can still notice the pulsating effect.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the aircraft itself. Some kind of vibration going on somewhere? Because it's a lot worse when hovering, where the motors are always going to be at pretty much the same RPM. It's not noticeable when the aircraft is moving and the motor RPM is a lot higher. I might be wrong but that's what I think.

Oops I meant 100 @ 1/250.
As I mentioned I had the same issues, but was able to resolve it.
I'll try your settings and try what you suggested, not using filters. It's got to be worth a try. If it works and you're ever in the UK, I'll buy you a pint:)

No, fairly sure it's not settings dependent, @AH-64 D...

And I'd have to agree with @AeriaL too; not possible to get exposure correct and double frame-rate on bright days without ND filters.

But sorry @Ren57, it doesn't work for me not using a filter, and I suspect it won't for you either. All my test footage WAS without filters, so I can honestly say that doesn't prevent the problem flashes. I can't help but feel that there shouldn't be any flashes like this whatever the exposure is doing. No other multirotor or camera I have ever owned has done this. And I don't think every Yuneec camera does it either, or we'd see it all the time in footage, and there'd be a lot more complaints that both main modes (Gorgeous and Natural) were useless !

I don't think it's vibration though either, as the actual image is rock steady, and the gimbal is clearly doing its job isolating the camera from the aircraft mainframe. In fact I am sure it's not that because I can even see it doing it before the motors have started, while the craft is still on the ground, though it is very subtle then. But while I do concur with you that it seems to change apparently dependent on what the motors are doing, it still seems more like an interference-type thing to me - like a component isn't shielded properly, or something. Alas I am not an expert, so it's all guesswork from me...

I think the biggest clue we have so far might be the 1 second intervals of the flashes - that seems quite specific and non-random. I wonder if that rings any bells for anyone with electronics knowledge ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren57 and AeriaL
No, fairly sure it's not settings dependent, @AH-64 D...

And I'd have to agree with @AeriaL too; not possible to get exposure correct and double frame-rate on bright days without ND filters.

But sorry @Ren57, it doesn't work for me not using a filter, and I suspect it won't for you either. All my test footage WAS without filters, so I can honestly say that doesn't prevent the problem flashes. I can't help but feel that there shouldn't be any flashes like this whatever the exposure is doing. No other multirotor or camera I have ever owned has done this. And I don't think every Yuneec camera does it either, or we'd see it all the time in footage, and there'd be a lot more complaints that both main modes (Gorgeous and Natural) were useless !

I don't think it's vibration though either, as the actual image is rock steady, and the gimbal is clearly doing its job. In fact i am sure it's not that because I can even see it doing it before the motors have started, while the craft is still on the ground, though it is very subtle then. But while I do concur with you that it seems to change apparently dependent on what the motors are doing, it still seems more like an interference-type thing to me - like a component isn't shielded properly, or something. Alas I am not an expert, so it's all guesswork from me...
Exactly what i was thinking. Interference.

I think the biggest clue we have so far might be the 1 second intervals of the flashes - that seems quite specific and non-random. I wonder if that rings any bells for anyone with electronics knowledge ?
Yes. The one thing that seems to be consistent is the pulsating effect happens at about one second intervals. And I did fly hundreds of times with my old Q500 (without ND filters) and as I said, I did notice the effect on that aircraft as well. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It's doing my head in!:mad:

One thing is for sure. Those of us who are trying to mitigate the effect by using over exposing settings, that is definitely not a satisfactory situation to have to be in. There is a problem somewhere and now we've found out that more than one person has experienced it. I'd like to hope if it does turn out to be some kind of interference, that it's an easy fix? We just have to find out what's causing the interference!

When I sent my cam in to Yuneec after they had admitted they could see the problem in my test footage, and that they had seen it before, but they did a test in RAW mode and the problem didn't appear to be in their footage. I wondered if they had even used my camera ! But as soon as I acknowledged the clip was OK, they posted my cam back to me with no further action, like they couldn't get it out of there fast enough. They were blaming my tracker for the interference, which I have subsequently discovered is nothing to do with it (flashes still there with tracker left at home). Because I have been able to minimize the flashing thing and get some decent footage since then I haven't pursued it further with them, but I agree we shouldn't have to be overexposing stuff to get round it. I've been thinking about getting back to tech support with the suggestion that if they can't find anything wrong with my camera, then what is the harm in swapping it for another one, and if they can find a problem, then surely we are entitled to another one anyway ? I don't know if they'll go for that.

Reactions: Ren57
When I sent my cam in to Yuneec after they had admitted they could see the problem in my test footage, and that they had seen it before, but they did a test in RAW mode and the problem didn't appear to be in their footage. I wondered if they had even used my camera ! But as soon as I acknowledged the clip was OK, they posted my cam back to me with no further action, like they couldn't get it out of there fast enough. They were blaming my tracker for the interference, which I have subsequently discovered is nothing to do with it (flashes still there with tracker left at home). Because I have been able to minimize the flashing thing and get some decent footage since then I haven't pursued it further with them, but I agree we shouldn't have to be overexposing stuff to get round it. I've been thinking about getting back to tech support with the suggestion that if they can't find anything wrong with my camera, then what is the harm in swapping it for another one, and if they can find a problem, then surely we are entitled to another one anyway ? I don't know if they'll go for that.
Hey. It's gotta be worth a try. My H is way out of warranty but if you can get yours sorted than at least that's a small victory. If Yuneec do admit there is a problem and they do change out your camera, they could be opening a can of worms for themselves. Because if it works for you, then I'll defo be wanting a new camera myself, out of warranty or not!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox