Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have a good answer on this:
How far from the calibration location the calibration is valid?
If I fly to another country, make the compass calibration there in one location - then drive about 15 miles away and fly my Typhoon H. Is the calibration still valid 15 miles away from the calibration place?

I ask this because I have operated my Typhoon many times in Mediterranian Sea from a boat and it is not possible to make the calibration onboard. It is better to do it before you leave the harbour.

Last time i had some problems because i did the calibration onboard and obviously something went wrong...

br,
Harri

Hi hasane.
15 miles is quite reasonable. The Earth's magnetic field doesn't differ much over just a few miles. The problem arises when you travel further distances particularly in an East-West direction (with exception to the North West of the USA, for example, where North-South traveling becomes just as important).

Different pilots will have different views on what they would see as a distance traveled to warrant a compass calibration. For me it's around 25 miles but I'm probably being a bit over cautious. Others would travel well over a hundred miles before seeing a compass calibration necessary. In the end, though, 15 miles should be fine.

Last edited:
Hi hasane.
15 miles is quite reasonable. The Earth's magnetic field doesn't differ much over just a few miles. The problem arises when you travel further distances particularly in an East-West direction (with exception to the North West of the USA, for example, where North-South traveling becomes just as important).

Different pilots will have different views on what they would see as a distance traveled to warrant a compass calibration. For me it's around 25 miles but I'm probably being a bit over cautious. Others would travel well over a hundred miles before seeing a compass calibration necessary. In the end, though, 15 miles should be fine.
Thank you very much for a prompt answer. I feel better now ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis