Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have a good answer on this:
How far from the calibration location the calibration is valid?
If I fly to another country, make the compass calibration there in one location - then drive about 15 miles away and fly my Typhoon H. Is the calibration still valid 15 miles away from the calibration place?

I ask this because I have operated my Typhoon many times in Mediterranian Sea from a boat and it is not possible to make the calibration onboard. It is better to do it before you leave the harbour.

Last time i had some problems because i did the calibration onboard and obviously something went wrong...

br,
Harri

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hi hasane.
15 miles is quite reasonable. The Earth's magnetic field doesn't differ much over just a few miles. The problem arises when you travel further distances particularly in an East-West direction (with exception to the North West of the USA, for example, where North-South traveling becomes just as important).

Different pilots will have different views on what they would see as a distance traveled to warrant a compass calibration. For me it's around 25 miles but I'm probably being a bit over cautious. Others would travel well over a hundred miles before seeing a compass calibration necessary. In the end, though, 15 miles should be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi hasane.
15 miles is quite reasonable. The Earth's magnetic field doesn't differ much over just a few miles. The problem arises when you travel further distances particularly in an East-West direction (with exception to the North West of the USA, for example, where North-South traveling becomes just as important).

Different pilots will have different views on what they would see as a distance traveled to warrant a compass calibration. For me it's around 25 miles but I'm probably being a bit over cautious. Others would travel well over a hundred miles before seeing a compass calibration necessary. In the end, though, 15 miles should be fine.
Thank you very much for a prompt answer. I feel better now ;-)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Born.Wild