Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration Greyed Out

Reaction score
Typhoon H ST16.

Message on controller to carry out compass calibration. Going to calibration on the controller the command for compass calibration is greyed out and not available. At aircraft switch on I get der der dit dit from the drone, non stop.

Any thoughts please.

At aircraft switch on I get der der dit dit from the drone, non stop.
The compass is part of the GPS module on a Typhoon H. The symptoms you described and the sound, along with a red flashing rear main LED would suggest a problem with the module or with the module wiring/connector.
Has the top shell been removed recently?

The compass is part of the GPS module on a Typhoon H. The symptoms you described and the sound, along with a red flashing rear main LED would suggest a problem with the module or with the module wiring/connector.
Has the top shell been removed recently?
It has. I put a new receiver in. Will open up and recheck every connection. Prior to this happening the aircraft seemed to want to go its own way in short circles.

Reactions: WTFDproject
Prior to this happening the aircraft seemed to want to go its own way in short circles.
This is probably a different problem than the compass calibration.
The mention of short circles suggests the flight controller IMU is getting out of calibration. The behavior is commonly referred to as "Toilet Bowl" because the movement looks a lot like something swirling around on its way down the drain. If so, it will likely get worse and result in a crash.
The degradation of the FC board also sometimes results in an inability to acquire GPS. @h-elsner did a lot of work researching this and produced the document referenced by this link to help explain and recognize the problems:

The flight control boards occasionally show up on Web sites such as eBay at reasonable prices and are easy to change out.

Last edited:
That suggests the flight controller IMU is getting out of calibration. The behavior is commonly referred to as "Toilet Bowl" because the movement looks a lot like something swirling around on its way down the drain. If so, it will likely get worse and result in a crash.
The degradation of the FC board also sometimes results in an inability to acquire GPS. @h-elsner did a lot of work researching this and produced the document referenced by this link to help explain and recognize the problems:

The flight control boards occasionally show up on Web sites such as eBay at reasonable prices and are easy to change out.
I have a second Typhoon in bits, bought as a crashed item, gimbal ripped of an one landing leg. I have stripped out the FC, si is spare. I have GPS , camera and telemetry but the "system calibration" doesn't show compass, gimble or accelerometer.

I have a second Typhoon in bits, bought as a crashed item, gimbal ripped of an one landing leg. I have stripped out the FC, si is spare. I have GPS , camera and telemetry but the "system calibration" doesn't show compass, gimble or accelerometer.
Help me understand what is in the original drone.
Is the FC board the original or is it from the crashed drone.
Is the GPS Module the original or is it from the crashed drone.

If you have GPS and Telemetry, you may have just a failure of the compass (part of the GPS module) or the wiring associated with the compass. You will want to check wires 1 and 2 on the attached drawing. The GPS module end is normally color coded. Wire 1 is bare gray wire. Wire 2 is gray wire with a yellow collar. The ESC (Main) board end is normally not color coded. Again, the picture should help you find them. Check for both pins fully inserted in the connector. If you can see any part of the pin at the back of the connector, it is not fully inserted and locked into the connector. Also check for broken solder, broken wire on both ends and use a multimeter to ensure good connection all the way. If the wiring is good, the compass is probably bad. You may be able to swap parts between the two drones to identify the failed component(s).

Attachments

• Typhoon H GPS Module Pinout.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
Help me understand what is in the original drone.
Is the FC board the original or is it from the crashed drone.
Is the GPS Module the original or is it from the crashed drone.

If you have GPS and Telemetry, you may have just a failure of the compass (part of the GPS module) or the wiring associated with the compass. You will want to check wires 1 and 2 on the attached drawing. The GPS module end is normally color coded. Wire 1 is bare gray wire. Wire 2 is gray wire with a yellow collar. The ESC (Main) board end is normally not color coded. Again, the picture should help you find them. Check for both pins fully inserted in the connector. If you can see any part of the pin at the back of the connector, it is not fully inserted and locked into the connector. Also check for broken solder, broken wire on both ends and use a multimeter to ensure good connection all the way. If the wiring is good, the compass is probably bad. You may be able to swap parts between the two drones to identify the failed component(s).
Many thanks for the attached files. I purchased the crashed one as spares. It is the flying one that developed this problem. It is bedtimee here now. I will look at this again tomorrow, open it up and do the checks.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Swapped out the FC as nothing happened when selecting calibrate ACC, Comp or Gimbal. The newly fitted FC allowed me to calibrate the ACC and gimbal. Not yet done compass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook