Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

compass calibration

Reaction score
just set up new H and cannot get compass to calibrate. Have read manual and watched numerous videos. I have tried to do calibration in 2 different places on my property and girlfriends moms property. All 3 spots where at least 25 yards from power lines and metal objects, cell phones etc. when controller and drone powered up i hit settings calibration, then red highlighted calibration box comes up tap that then compass box comes up which is not red highlighted, tap compass box and main led light blinks red and green slowly then rapidly, I then rotate drone forward by arms of rotors that are blinking, after going around once and then 1 more arm i get a short tone and then steady white light on main led. I have spent 2 hours in the 3 different places and it still will not calibrate. I have calibrated 2 Phantoms and one Typhoon q400k in same places with noo problems. Any ideas on what I am not doing correctly.

Are you saying it won't let you rotate it counter clockwise towards the next point after one completes? You cannot do all 6 points before it beeps you out and you don't get a happy tone and auto restart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The st does no internal change or acknowledgement. It's all light driven at the H.

got it, in house no less. I speeded up process.Not sure that did the trick and I did not realize you had to go counter clockwise around arms, I must have been doing it clockwise. If that was reason counter clockwise , no where in any video or in manual did it say counterclockwise kinda a vital piece of info at least it is for me

Hmmm, not sure if I would trust a compass calibration that was done inside the house.

good point, still curious why directions do nor specify which way to rotate to next set of arms with blinking leds, I spent 2 hours getting frustrated as **** trying to calibrate outside all over my orchards so went into house and played Yunecc video and followed it exactly and bingo it worked.

good point, still curious why directions do nor specify which way to rotate to next set of arms with blinking leds, I spent 2 hours getting frustrated as **** trying to calibrate outside all over my orchards so went into house and played Yunecc video and followed it exactly and bingo it worked.

If you watch the video, you can see the orientation change and it's CCW. Do not calibrate indoors. Do not do it faster as that actually can cause problems. The slower you roll it, the better it captures data to store into compass. While not stated anywhere, facing north helps immensely. Do not move your body left or right when you pick up the drone. Hold it as level as possible at all times especially while rotating. If you fumble a bit, finish the procedure and let it restart. Then try again. I do not have my camera attached or have props mounted. When it's correct, you will notice your GPS lock speed increase dramatically. A sloppy calibration will "take" but the system will work overtime to error correct for data gaps and that equals unstable flight, drifting, and even the dreaded fly away. I have never had a calibration fail which in itself is suspect as it should actually be harder to do than it is and be unforgiving if it missed any proper data input. I think it has a buffer that internal error correction fills the gap on to allow for non north oriented calibration start that goes "south" in flight when it gets too many or too big of an error.

Sure hope Yuneec has a firmware update stored in the vault, for when the magnetic pole flip happens...

;)

If you watch the video, you can see the orientation change and it's CCW. Do not calibrate indoors. Do not do it faster as that actually can cause problems. The slower you roll it, the better it captures data to store into compass. While not stated anywhere, facing north helps immensely. Do not move your body left or right when you pick up the drone. Hold it as level as possible at all times especially while rotating. If you fumble a bit, finish the procedure and let it restart. Then try again. I do not have my camera attached or have props mounted. When it's correct, you will notice your GPS lock speed increase dramatically. A sloppy calibration will "take" but the system will work overtime to error correct for data gaps and that equals unstable flight, drifting, and even the dreaded fly away. I have never had a calibration fail which in itself is suspect as it should actually be harder to do than it is and be unforgiving if it missed any proper data input. I think it has a buffer that internal error correction fills the gap on to allow for non north oriented calibration start that goes "south" in flight when it gets too many or too big of an error.

Any thoughts on why it calibrated in my house and not outside? should I try it again outside and if it does not work then what? I was really frustrated yesterday

Any thoughts on why it calibrated in my house and not outside? should I try it again outside and if it does not work then what? I was really frustrated yesterday

I've calibrated on top of a roof next to all kinds of metal AC units and was surprised it took. I'm sure it will calibrate indoors and give you the beep of approval. That does not mean it got proper compass declination data. Don't short cut this. You did it wrong a lot of times and got frustrated.
It's a new year. Take a deep breath and try again in an open spot. Turn your cell off or leave in car as well.

sounds like sound advice. After you calibrated near metal and such and it took did you then use that and fly? How many times have you had to calibrate your H? I have heard calibrate again if you have moved a long distance away others have said only once and your good. Does the controller give you a prompt that calibration has failed while flying and or is there a certain color light on led on H that lets you know calibration has failed while flying after successful calibration on ground All in all a little knowledge can be dangerous half the time I overthink things.

Got it!!!! Took H outside this morning, took two times but got calibration, thanks everybody for input and help

Hello, definite advice for calibrating your compass is to do it outdoors in an open space.

Where do you store your aircraft by the way? On top of a fridge, tumble dryer, washing machine or anything with a strong magnetic field?

Might be worth pointing out that sometimes it needs a couple of rotations for the lights to change to the next set. Running the latest firmware too?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I keep it in my second bedroom next to my telescope. Is there any problems keeping it in shed outside my home where temps are between 35 degrees - 110 degrees depending on time of year

None if you don't store the battery and ST-16 in there with it. 35 isn't bad but the 110 can be hard on batteries.

I have been really experimenting hard on this whole compass conundrum. I have come to the conclusion that I should include a calibration before every flight mission. I have observed it advancing to the next rotate point with only one flip roll if I do it level and slow. If I want really stable flight, a fresh and confidently executed calibration is the key. I will now start storing my H with the camera off the gimbal mount. I reason I need to pull the SD card anyway so it's no big deal to carefully remove the camera then. If I get into using different cameras as I hope to down the road this year, I will need to be removing cameras often anyway. It takes 5 minutes tops and makes for more confident piloting and documenting.

The drone must be rotated CCW during calibration steps? I've been in contact with Yuneec customer support since I've been having compass calibration problems and I was never told that. I was told to face north when doing the calibration procedure. My problem is that I cannot get a valid compass calibration. The H has never self restared. I get the final beep and the white light and that's it. Flight in smart mode is erratic and drifts while hovering. Landing gear will not self deploy when landin in Smart mode or RTH. Also, motors will not shut off automatically when landing in these modes either. It used to do all these thing before the motors cut out and the H dropped from the sky back in October. It was sent back to Yuneec for warranty repair and hasn't been the same since. All firmware updates have been installed. It's going back next week.

I was also having problems calibrating compass but mine was brand new. I would rotate very slowly and carefully and could not get calibration, so I made sure was facing north, went counterclockwise and also sped up rotation. That seemed to do the trick,

There are number of videos on calibration, speed and counter clockwise are what messed me up for a while when I got them correct, it was easy. Also don't trust inside calibration.

I was also having problems calibrating compass but mine was brand new. I would rotate very slowly and carefully and could not get calibration, so I made sure was facing north, went counterclockwise and also sped up rotation. That seemed to do the trick,
I went outside and tried CCW. No improvement. I think what I'm experiencing is the result of crash damage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49