Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Warning! Whats going on?

Reaction score
After upgrading to the latest firmware I keep randomly getting
'COMPASS WARNING. land in angle mode immediately'.

I have done the compass calibration ten times at least and all of them
has been successful, but still get the warning on the ST16.

Have done the accelerometer and camera calibration many times also.

The H flies great with no indication of compass problems.

Getting tired of this message taking over the screen.

What am I missing here?

Hmm.....if you didn't have that problem before the update you might want to reinstall. Also the GUI might show any problems with the compass. After it's connected do some slow revolutions with the H by hand and see if the GUI readings move as they should.

Maybe the new firmware recognizes and provides more alerts to compass anomalies vs. ignoring it. Check the log files for errors after a flight to see if they coincide with the alerts you've been getting on the ST16. It should log any errors involving the compass.

I have had the same issue since the upgrade. It seems to be related to electronics (including the transmitter) close to the aircraft. It has not happened in flight, only when warming up. Try starting up out in the open with the transmitter farther away from the H.

Reactions: stevemitchell
Had the same thing happen to me as well.
Upgraded firmware, No problem.
Re-binded H and Camera, No Problem.
Calibrated compass, No Problem
Calibrated Accelerometer, No Problem.
First flight, No Problem.
Landed, powered down H, Powered back up to check connect time, everything good to go, 12 Sats.
Get two feet off the ground and BOOM, yellow flashing light, almost lost it, would not respond to controls to land, just kept bouncing across the ground.
Recalibrated everything again, and completed a flight.
Only thing I can think that I did NOT do, was to power down the ST-16 after the calibrations, I only powered down the H.

Reactions: Rayray
Get two feet off the ground and BOOM, yellow flashing light, almost lost it, would not respond to controls to land, just kept bouncing across the ground.
Recalibrated everything again, and completed a flight.
Only thing I can think that I did NOT do, was to power down the ST-16 after the calibrations, I only powered down the H.

Weird. Keep us updated on this, Bob.

Are we supposed to repower both H and ST16 after calibrations? I have not been doing that.

Here is what I just did.
1) Turn on ST-16, Turn on H.
2) Did a compass calibration. (Need a success message on ST-16).
3) Powered down the H and the ST-16.
4) Powered up ST-16 and H.
5) Did and accelerometer calibration (Need success message).
6) Powered down the H and the ST-16.
7) Powered up the ST-16 and the H.
8) Calibrated the gimbal.
9) Had a nice 5 minutes flight, battery was not fully charged when I started all of this.
Everything functioned nice and smooth, flip to turtle mode just before touchdown and can really grease a landing. I could before but even smoother now.

I do not know if turning OFF the ST-16 and the H between each step is really necessary, but I did it anyway and things are back to normal.

Here is what I just did.
9) Had a nice 5 minutes flight, battery was not fully charged when I started all of this.
Everything functioned nice and smooth, flip to turtle mode just before touchdown and can really grease a landing. I could before but even smoother now.

I do not know if turning OFF the ST-16 and the H between each step is really necessary, but I did it anyway and things are back to normal.

I will give this a try.
I never looked or new it was there for success message on RC, just went by the light on h.

Thanks

Here is what I just did.

Unfortunately that did not help with the compass warning message on mine.

Sometimes it will go several minutes without warning and other times every 10 seconds.

I'm kinda thinking bug in firmware since other are having same issue.

Reactions: Gunit and chimpax
I found this out tonight.
If I was closer than 5 feet from the H and I armed the motors, I would get a compass warning message.
First time I recalibrated, and attempted to arm the motors (I was about 3 feet away).
I received the error. Powered off/on the H, stood further away and had no issues.
Soon as I get my batteries charged back up I am going to see if I can find a minimum distance.
I am usually pretty close when I arm so I can look for any anomalies before take off.
I do stand way back for take off.

Reactions: JohnL
Bob, I guess you mean spin the props when you say arm. I never get closer than 8-10 feet when I hit the red button, in angle mode.

For me, the issue happened before I even armed the motors. The controller said to land and calibrate compass. I was not armed, much less in the air. If I turn on the H and step back or leave the controller 10 feet away, I do not get the message to calibrate.

I found this out tonight.
If I was closer than 5 feet from the H and I armed the motors, I would get a compass warning message.
First time I recalibrated, and attempted to arm the motors (I was about 3 feet away).
I received the error. Powered off/on the H, stood further away and had no issues.
Soon as I get my batteries charged back up I am going to see if I can find a minimum distance.
I am usually pretty close when I arm so I can look for any anomalies before take off.
I do stand way back for take off.

I usually stand about ten feet away so I moved to thirty feet away and still compass error.

One thing I have noticed is the H flies real smooth until that first compass warning and
after that there is about a 1 second delay in the right stick response.

For me, the issue happened before I even armed the motors. The controller said to land and calibrate compass. I was not armed, much less in the air. If I turn on the H and step back or leave the controller 10 feet away, I do not get the message to calibrate.

And I only get compass warning after I am in the air, this is crazy, I hope Yuneec is working on this!

I did some testing,
Did not matter how close I was to the H. I could get the warning almost every time I would start the motors. Only way I could 100% get away from the error was to make sure the H was pointed towards the NORTH. Normally I take off from the sidewalk in front of my house with the H pointed towards the EAST. When I start with the H pointed EAST, I get the compass warning. Power off, point the H North and NO error.
I do not understand this behavior, I never had this issue before. It is dark out now , will have to try a different location tomorrow.

After upgrading to the latest firmware I keep randomly getting
'COMPASS WARNING. land in angle mode immediately'.

I have done the compass calibration ten times at least and all of them
has been successful, but still get the warning on the ST16.

Have done the accelerometer and camera calibration many times also.

The H flies great with no indication of compass problems.

Getting tired of this message taking over the screen.

What am I missing here?

I think this will be fixed in the next firmware update. You don't have to calibrate the compass, the warning will go away if you either land and restart or just keep flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval