Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Controlling Typhoon H w/ ST16, & using Wizard for "Watch Me" mode

Reaction score
Here's a sample scenario of what I want to accomplish:

I'd like to film RC vehicles while they're doing their thing. The best, and most obvious, way to accomplish this would be to place the Wizard inside RC vehicles, so that the CGO3+ could keep the camera pointed at the Wizard's location, but I'd need to control the Typhoon H using the ST16. This is still, essentially, "Watch Me" mode, except that, instead of having the camera always pointed at the ST16, it would be pointed at the Wizard.

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem getting information on how to do this...or, if it's even possible. Obviously, this isn't too much to ask, and is a function that should have been included from the beginning. Technically, it would be similar to "Team Mode", where the Wizard controls the TH, and ST16 controls the CGO3+...except in reverse, and with the Wizard being used as the 'tracker' for "Watch Me" mode.

Has anyone been able to do this, and, if so, what needs to be done to configure the ST16 & Wizard to accomplish this?

Here's a sample scenario of what I want to accomplish:

I'd like to film RC vehicles while they're doing their thing. The best, and most obvious, way to accomplish this would be to place the Wizard inside RC vehicles, so that the CGO3+ could keep the camera pointed at the Wizard's location, but I'd need to control the Typhoon H using the ST16. This is still, essentially, "Watch Me" mode, except that, instead of having the camera always pointed at the ST16, it would be pointed at the Wizard.

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem getting information on how to do this...or, if it's even possible. Obviously, this isn't too much to ask, and is a function that should have been included from the beginning. Technically, it would be similar to "Team Mode", where the Wizard controls the TH, and ST16 controls the CGO3+...except in reverse, and with the Wizard being used as the 'tracker' for "Watch Me" mode.

Has anyone been able to do this, and, if so, what needs to be done to configure the ST16 & Wizard to accomplish this?
As far as I know you can't.
This sort of scenario has been muted before in this forum, but not for a while so I forget the details now. Try and do a search of the forum on the subject. I know there are threads on it so you should come up with a few.
Edit: Here is a thread, for example Control with ST16 but follow the Wizard

Last edited:
when using the wizard in team mode the wizard only controls the drone while the ST16 controls the camera that's how the book describes it

when using the wizard in team mode the wizard only controls the drone while the ST16 controls the camera that's how the book describes it
That's how I understand it too. Control the aircraft with the wand and control the camera with the ST16. You can't control the aircraft with the st16...just the camera.

I have a wizard. Got it with the H when new in June 2016 but never ever used it. Not exactly sure where in my house it is right now but I have it it in my mind's eye that it is still in the plastic bag.

As far as I know you can't.
This sort of scenario has been muted before in this forum, but not for a while so I forget the details now. Try and do a search of the forum on the subject. I know there are threads on it so you should come up with a few.
Edit: Here is a thread, for example Control with ST16 but follow the Wizard
That's not the same thing. "Follow Me" mode, and "Watch Me" mode are to entirely different things. "Follow Me" (the mode you posted the link to) is having the TH automatically follow your every move. With that mode, using whichever controller you're using, you can reset the TH to a different position, and it holds that position relative to the position of the controller it's following.

"Watch Me" mode, on the other hand...the mode I described in my initial post... Is the ability to have full-continuous control of the TH, while the CGO3+ automatically keeps the controller within the frame (if you imagine dividing the frame into 9 equal sections, it attempts to keep it within the middle 9th). Normally, this is done with either the ST16, or Wizard, as opposed to the dual-controller method (ie. "Watch Me" watching the Wizard, but full TH control via the ST16) most people want.

I did quite a bit of searching, within this forum, plus a couple other forums, and I couldn't find anything. I searched the internet, and I came across this (although I haven't tried it...yet...so I'm uncertain as to whether, it not, it works):

1) Make sure you are in 'Single Mode', with TH & ST16 on, and connected.
2) Turn the ST16 off.
3) You must bind the Wizard to the TH with the ST16 controller turned off. The process is a) turn on the TH, b) tilt it 45 deg angle 2 times (indicator LED should blink yellow/orange), c) press the Wizard ^on^ button until you hear two beeps (supposedly, this links the "Watch Me" ability on the TH to the Wizard). NOTE: On the TH, "Watch Me" doesn't function in 'Team Mode' with either device...but, in 'Safe Mode', "Follow Me" works, so the ST16 will need to keep the camera on target, which is now the Wizard.
4) Once you have the Wizard bound to the TH, you can turn on the ST16 controller. Booting in this order, you will not have any tilt or pan function on the ST16...but, you can toggle snapshots, & record video, as well as control the camera settings.
5) Once you have your TH in the air, and at a safe distance, you need to switch to 'Safe Mode'. From there, you can use the button combinations to switch between "Watch Me" and "Follow Me".

As I said, I haven't tried it yet. However, before I attempted it, I figured those with more experience might weigh-in on the steps, comment on whether you've tried it before, and whether (or not) it worked. It's not a simple process, but it's also not complicated.

The other thing I noticed is that the steps don't indicate how the ST16 should be set (ie. 'Smart', 'Angle', or 'Home' flight mode) before take-off, or even before booting the ST16 up. Also...and, most importantly...the steps mention switching to 'Safe Mode' once in the air...but I'm not understanding what, specifically, that means. Again, I know 'Smart', 'Angle', & 'Home' flight mode switch, plus I know the gimbal 'Pan' & 'Tilt' mode switches...but, what the heck is 'Safe Mode'? Obviously, until I know what 'Safe Mode' is, I can't even attempt to test this out.

More assistance needed. Anyone?

Safe=Smart
That's what I might have thought...except for the point where the directions say to switch into 'Safe Mode' once the TH is in the air, and at a safe distance. Whenever I take off, I typically already have the flight mode switch set to 'Smart', as recommended by Yuneec. My usual (probably most people's) SOP is to take off with the flight mode switch set to 'Smart', then, once in the air, change it to 'Angle'. The "funny" thing is, considering I've flown RC helicopters, and I drive RC cars & trucks, I find the 'Smart' flight mode confusing, and "dumb".

Smart mode employs the Safe Circle, and despite what Yuneec might suggest about using Smart mode as the predominant mode it’s the mode that has been almost totally misunderstood by a great many people, with that misunderstanding being the root cause of many crashes. More often than not they took off in Smart mode while inside the boundaries of the Safe Circle ir walked up in the aircraft in flight, encroaching on the Safe Circle. The “safe” distance in Smart mode is any distance further away than the boundaries of the Safe Circle.

Smart or Safe mode is also known as “headless mode” in engineering circles, but for the general population it might also be called “brainless mode” as it was developed as a means to keep the aircraft maneuvering with reference to the controller location regardless of aircraft orientation. In essence one does not need to know how to fly, just the direction they want to go as pushing right goes right, pushing forward goes forward, with left and back doing the similar even if the aircraft is spinning like a top. At least until the aircraft passes behind the operator where all the controls will function in reverse until the operator turns around to face the aircraft. For DJI users it’s called home lock, for Ardu and Pixhawk users it’s called something else. With any brand, Smart mode is not what you want to be in when GPS fails. If hoping Smart mode will save the day during a GPS or compass failure you will shortly find yourself in a world of hurt.

The preferred mode for general flying is Angle mode. Those that have learned how to effectively control their aircraft in Angle mode are vastly better operators. Angle works just peachy for take off too, and eliminates having to be a minimum distance away from the aircraft.

None of that helps with the Wizard question though[emoji33][emoji6]

Last edited:
...it’s the mode that has been almost totally misunderstood by a great many people...None of that helps with the Wizard question though[emoji33][emoji6]

I'm certainly not "misunderstanding" the 'Smart' flight mode...which a also why I jokingly refer to it as 'Dumb' mode. Honestly, I can't see how anyone could learn to properly fly a drone using this mode. That being said...and, as you stated, yourself...none of that info helps with my situation. Considering Yuneec initially designed the Wizard as a "GPS tracker" (this, straight from the mouth of a Yuneec development engineer), it's hard to believe they didn't include this functionality (ie. controlling the drone via ST16, while using the Wizard at the 'focus point' for "Watch Me" mode) from the beginning.

I'm still hoping someone can help resolve this problem. In the meantime, I'll pose a second question:
Are there any other reasonably-priced drones ($400-1100) that can shoot high-quality, high frame-rate video (at least 60fps, but preferably 120fps, @ 1080p), that also has a "watch me" mode (even if by another name) that aims the camera at a secondary (pocket-sized) device, exactly as described in my initial post? If I'm unable to use the TH to do this style of filming, then I'm going to need to get a second drone (or replace the TH).

A couple things I would point out also are; even IF you could get that combination to work as you described in your first post (which I don't think you will) you still have a much bigger problem. If the gimbal could be tracking the wizard while It was in a moving RC car, then you attempt to maneuver the Typhoon, the gimbal would not be able to compensate for the various pitch yaw and roll inputs from the moving craft while trying (at the same time) to input its own pitch, yaw and roll movements to keep the RC car in frame.

I am sure you have seen many Follow me and watch me videos and if so, notice how when the subject is changing direction the CG03 lags behind the movement or misses it altogether. Thats because it is not optically 'following' the car rather it is being given GPS locations at some interval and looking in the last updated location and this is why it cannot track a moving object precisely.

You sound like you have the way you want to shoot this already in mind but if I may offer you some alternative ways I might try. Both involve using a CCC mission. The obvious use for a CCC is to plan the route you want to fly with waypoints along the cars route, then flip into 'Global Pan Mode' and control the camera like a real operator using the right stick while the Typhoon flies autonomously. A dedicated camera operator can frame the car along the entire route since you can see the where its headed and move the camera appropriately.

The other way is what I call tripod in the sky. This is to set up a simple 2 point CCC, flip into global so camera control is moved to the right stick and just don't start the mission; so essentially you can pick a vantage point, turn on the camera and have fluid 360 pan and tilt. I think if I were tasked with shooting an RC car event or motorcycle event or what have you, I would be using a combination of these two types of shooting along with various ground and onboard shots.

Ty Pilot, thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think they would work. First, it should be known that any videos shoot would not be uploaded "as is". They would be edited by the owner of the YouTube channel...who also has a camera strapped to his forehead, while he controls the vehicle in question. This should also tell those reading this that I'll have no clue, prior to the vehicle turning, what direction it will be going. Thus, the CCC idea wouldn't work.

BTW, it doesn't matter whether, or not, the vehicle stays within the field-of-view 100% of the time...75+% of the time would be "good enough"...as he would be using TH clips interspersed with clips from his point-of-view. Yes, there would be times if know, in advance, exactly what he plans on doing...such as in speed runs, where the vehicle is to go as straight as possible (one thing he wants to attempt is breaking 100mph...on sand)...but, when filming in large open spaces, he likes to drive the vehicles so over the place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval