Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CP filter

Before consumer drones came into vogue the use of DSLR’s was more public in multirotor discussions. Lens and setting flexibility with them provides the photographer a lot more functionality so they can adjust as needed to obtain the type of image they want. Converted security cameras using a fixed aperture are really very limited and make obtaining bokeh very difficult, if not impossible. The CGO-4 is a nearly full function camera that allows wide artistic opportunity but it only works with the 920, which is much larger and considerably slower than the consumer crowd are willing to deal with. The attached image is the first picture taken with a CGO-4 without even trying hard. DJI made a good move in buying Hasselblad, giving them access to people that know and understand professional cameras. It’s not difficult to employ more professional cameras and interchangeable lenses, but reducing their size and getting people to pay the price is. Employing a quality 1” sensor is also not hard to do but by itself does not up image quality all that much.

Unfortunately other MR manufacturers resist teaming with big name camera makers to develop better solutions for the most important part of an aerial imagery platform.Y8350001.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson
I agree entirely, but...........................................
The H520 is just under 2KG in weight. The H920 is just under 5KG in weight. Both weights are no coincidence. These are weight limits in the air regulations of most countries.

When you have an aircraft that weighs 1600 grams without a camera, you don't have much room for manoeuvre. You have to add the gymbal to the equation and what's left is the camera.

Now, based on the above, it would be a good thing if you can change the lens, but it makes more sense to do it in the H920 where you have more room for manoeuvre. Put a 1-inch sensor in a camera that will weigh....... 125 grams? (the rest is the gimbal) has merit. It would be better to have an APS-C but we've gone too far... the best camera that carries that sensor and is used a lot in drones is the Sony QX1 but how much does it weigh? 300 grams without lens and does not have live video, integrated trigger..... The CG04 weighs 1200 grams not counting the gymbal. These are different categories of drones.

PatR and rdonson and others... you who bring the image theme to higher levels I don't think the H520 is your drone. The H920 is much more suited to your needs.

As always my opinion. Don't hit me :rolleyes:

I think you make valid points.

I’m not looking beyond my H480 at this time.

That said, I hope that photo and video become an even stronger feature set for UAS over time. If consumers look for better cameras, manufacturers will work to fill the desire and competition will eventually keep the costs reasonable. It’s just technology reacting to market needs. It won’t happen over night just like smart phones didn’t start with 12 MP sensors, IS and powerful processors.

The 800lb gorillas in sensors these days are Sony and Samsung.

Reactions: arruntus
Very good video, he explains it very well.

When in a flight you have to make only one shot you can adjust the filter without any problem and get very good results. But when a series of shots are planned, it is normal to take them all in succession without landing between each to adjust the filter. The big disadvantage we have with the short battery life makes it impractical. If we have lots of batteries and the job requires it no problem, you can land as many times as necessary and this would be ideal.

Lens hoods for cameras that are normally mounted on a drone, but not very high level, are a problem to find. This is the last one I got, printed in 3D. The only solution I could find.

View attachment 7742
@arruntus does anyone sell a decent lens hood for the E90 yet or are we making our own?

Employing a quality 1” sensor is also not hard to do but by itself does not up image quality all that much.
I've been watching M2 Zoom and Pro videos to see if the Hasselblad 1" sensor brings any advantages. There seems to be a consensus that the Hasselblad is not giving the full image due, possibly, to heat issues. That would be the result of cramming a higher power 1" sensor into a small package. That is also an issue in some Sony DSLR and mirrorless cameras when recording video for extended periods of time (not an issue for camcorders). Also, from what I've seen, the M2 Zoom with its 1/2.3" sensor produces as good or better 4k images than the M2 Pro and has room for a zoom lens as well. But, I digress from the original topic. Sorry.

I was under the impression the Sony heat issues were mostly related to battery time, with the effects on the battery in turn impacting the ability to run video. I had not read where it was impacting video quality.

Reactions: Rubik
I was under the impression the Sony heat issues were mostly related to battery time, with the effects on the battery in turn impacting the ability to run video. I had not read where it was impacting video quality.
No, it's my understanding that Sony cameras just shut down when they get too hot after recording hi-res video for extended time. No effect on quality while they are running. But, that's why I use Sony camcorders for recording concerts, events, etc. No overheating problems.

It does make more than a little sense to use a tool designed for video generation when the primary task is to create videos.

No, it's my understanding that Sony cameras just shut down when they get too hot after recording hi-res video for extended time. No effect on quality while they are running. But, that's why I use Sony camcorders for recording concerts, events, etc. No overheating problems.
It does make more than a little sense to use a tool designed for video generation when the primary task is to create videos.
Are you seeing the lunar eclipse right now? I actually used the Sony AX100 video camera to take a series of stills because it is easy to set it up manually. When the clouds cooperated, the shots are pretty cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace