Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crash landing

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I’ve currently got 2 Typhoon H’s (1 at work and 1 at home) I’ve had them both for nearly 2 years now and never had any issues, both are regularly calibrated and updated by myself

Over the past 2 weeks both drones have just lost control and crash landed, as if they’ve just dropped out of the sky, I can’t control any part of the ST16 when this happens. but everything is still connected and no warning message comes up.

I currently work and live within 100m so I was wondering if the reason could be where I am flying? Such as a signal blocker?

Sorry it’s a long one but any help or suggestions will be much appreciated! With every crash my bank balance is crashing too [emoji30]

Thanks [emoji847]

I currently work and live within 100m so I was wondering if the reason could be where I am flying? Such as a signal blocker?

You currently live and work within 100m of what, exactly?

Reactions: MarkC
Difficult to say. There is a KP index of 4 at the moment, which is higher than normal, but that wouldn't usually result in things falling out of the sky. Can you upload the flight logs ?

Sorry located in the UK and I live and work within 100m if each other so if i’m flying works drone then i’m not far away from where I fly my own

My opinion is have the experts on here view your telemetry. They are extremely good at it.

Once the drone is on the ground is their power on the drone or is it dead and have you made sure you hear the click when putting the battery in

Once the drone is on the ground is their power on the drone or is it dead and have you made sure you hear the click when putting the battery in

The power is still on, still connected to the ST16, I have to find it first then turn it off!

The clicks when I plug the battery in are there, and the drone is flying perfectly before it decides its wants to land

Difficult to say. There is a KP index of 4 at the moment, which is higher than normal, but that wouldn't usually result in things falling out of the sky. Can you upload the flight logs ?

I will upload them when I can get near a computer, I will try and get both flight logs to compare crashes to see if i’m doing anything wrong

Sounds as if the battery is low I have my UAV weather app set for 5 KP so I don't fly if it's red 5 so you saying it's 4 were you are should not be a problem

Right so the drone lands by its self it does not crash land

No it doesn’t land, it was a figure of speech, it just looses altitude, but the closer it gets to the floor it’s uncontrollable, it will fly around but whilst still dropping, the GPS Is still showing as enabled and i’m still getting satellites but it’s as though someone has turned everything off, it’s a shame I wasn’t filming my flight when it did it as I would upload just how uncontrollable it goes

Reactions: plissken
Ok weird once you get to Ur pc upload the telemetry they guys on here can read it see if it's showing errors internally which does not show up on the st16

So you had the two H's for nearly 2 years... Are you still using the same batteries? If so, how are the batteries? Could it have degraded already? Like here in the screenshot, chA is a 3 month old Ultrax while chB is a 10 month old stock batt. At storage level the Ultrax registered 800+mah while stock showed 300+mah only. I'll check again this weekend after I fully charge if there's a big difference in mah readings at 100%.

Point is, maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice left so it decided to land, and nearing the ground it doesn't have enough power for stable flight... When I used my stock Batt 2 weeks ago, it's like 9 to 10mins of flight time before the st screams out its warning that I should bring it in, and just as I was oriented towards the LZ it again screamed to land immediately. Good thing I was only 400 ft out. Nearing the ground it started to drift so at 2 ft shifted to turtle to counter drift and bring her in.

I'm not sure if it's really the battery since I just got the multicharger few days ago, before that I just used the stock one, so I'm not sure if it was charging and balancing correctly. Here's the IR of the stock battery for reference.
541cd4a407fdfbc4a0b7dd4cac17204d.jpg
4200d4c737c1fc1ffba361822668599d.jpg
f586fb1b13d5959ee7cc65daa4385866.jpg

Using the attached photo in the original post it appears to be a misunderstanding in how our batteries work, and failure to understand the relationship between electrical load, voltage, and battery capacity.

My guess has that screen shot taken after the aircraft was on the ground when voltage typically rebounds a couple tenths of a volt. If that is so the battery was dangerously depleted at the end of the flight and no longer had the ability to provide the current load necessary for sustained flight. It descended slowly because available amperage was not sufficient to maintain level flight. As voltage decreases, so does the ability to deliver higher level current.

Older batteries also have an issue where they cannot perform as they did when new. They break down over time and will not last as long as they did when new even when only lightly loaded. If you are using a two year old battery or one that had been stored for weeks at a time fully charged you have a weak battery. The IR value of the cells indicate they are not as good as they could be.

Last edited:
So you had the two H's for nearly 2 years... Are you still using the same batteries? If so, how are the batteries? Could it have degraded already? Like here in the screenshot, chA is a 3 month old Ultrax while chB is a 10 month old stock batt. At storage level the Ultrax registered 800+mah while stock showed 300+mah only. I'll check again this weekend after I fully charge if there's a big difference in mah readings at 100%.

Point is, maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice left so it decided to land, and nearing the ground it doesn't have enough power for stable flight... When I used my stock Batt 2 weeks ago, it's like 9 to 10mins of flight time before the st screams out its warning that I should bring it in, and just as I was oriented towards the LZ it again screamed to land immediately. Good thing I was only 400 ft out. Nearing the ground it started to drift so at 2 ft shifted to turtle to counter drift and bring her in.

I'm not sure if it's really the battery since I just got the multicharger few days ago, before that I just used the stock one, so I'm not sure if it was charging and balancing correctly. Here's the IR of the stock battery for reference.
541cd4a407fdfbc4a0b7dd4cac17204d.jpg
4200d4c737c1fc1ffba361822668599d.jpg
f586fb1b13d5959ee7cc65daa4385866.jpg

Ok, I'm no expert but I think I can share a bit of insight about the numbers shown here,

The capacity indicated with "mAh" is not an indicator of how much the battery can hold; the term "capacity" can be a little missleading.
In the charging information shown, the mAh indicates the rate of how much current has been actually "injected" into the pack.

In these pictures you show 2 batteries being charged up to "storage" voltage, where:
  • The first one, CH.A: charged up to storage for a duration of about 20 minutes, at 1.41 Amps
  • The second one, CH.B: charged up to storage for about 18 minutes at .79 Amps
I could infere then that, 1) CH.A battery was initially at a lower voltage, thus, requiring a larger current for a longer duration to reach the storage voltage of 15.19V and viseversa 2) CH.B battery was closer to 15.19V so it required a smaller current, for a shorter amount of time.

In simpler words: The difference in mAh (835 mAh vs. 300 mAh) means that CH.A required more mAh to be "injected" than CH.B becuase CH.A had more charge left. It doesn't tell you anything about the battery status just by itself.
By the way, the IR's you show are getting on the high side, I would consider to label and closely monitor that battery; high IR is a good sign of battery degradation.

Anyway, getting back into the main topic, without Telemetry data no one can really tell what (or if it) really happened.

Greetings!

I’m gunna hopefully get the telemetry files tomorrow so fingers crossed someone can help me out with my problem! It’s much appreciated guys! [emoji16]

Using the attached photo in the original post it appears to be a misunderstanding in how our batteries work, and failure to understand the relationship between electrical load, voltage, and battery capacity.

My guess has that screen shot taken after the aircraft was on the ground when voltage typically rebounds a couple tenths of a volt. If that is so the battery was dangerously depleted at the end of the flight and no longer had the ability to provide the current load necessary for sustained flight. It descended slowly because available amperage was not sufficient to maintain level flight. As voltage decreases, so does the ability to deliver higher level current.

Older batteries also have an issue where they cannot perform as they did when new. They break down over time and will not last as long as they did when new even when only lightly loaded. If you are using a two year old battery or one that had been stored for weeks at a time fully charged you have a weak battery. The IR value of the cells indicate they are not as good as they could be.

I think there is a bit of confusion, the screenshots aren’t my photos, I’m currently in the process of getting the telemetry data from the flight of the crash, The batteries I have for each of the drone are relatively old, but with my work drone we have 10 batteries which are rotated evenly for use and are not stored at full charge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech