Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crash- major malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was going to wait until Yuneec contacted me, but apparently they are swamped with tech support issues via email and I'm getting impatient.

I have ~20 flights (not sure didn't count) since getting the H back with a new camera earlier this month. It seemed to work well aside from the "twitch" in GPS modes, which isn't a big deal, more annoying than anything although I think it can be better. Otherwise it's a beautiful flying machine as long as GPS doesn't glitch.

Saturday was gorgeous weather with calm winds so I took 2 copters to Lake Huron; one quad copter and the H. First I flew out with with the X4 for some aggressive flying and then flew a mission quite far out.

Then I took the H out for some video tests and such; used 3 batteries conservatively. Lots of fun, flew excellent, very pleased. It was getting dark quick, so packed up and went home.

Monday I went to the the fairgrounds to practice using CCC, POI and Journey.

CCC: very good and one big reason I bought the H. This is where the 360 degree camera really comes in handy. No issues, ran 2-3 missions.

POI: worked like a charm. After completing 2 circles I landed with the camera facing me to set up for Journey.

Journey: It worked successfully before, so figured it should this time. Followed the on screen instructions, pressed Start(?), then the slider(?) on the screen. I was ~15 ft away in Angle mode. The motors started, but then the H began acting strangely right out of the gate, barely came off the ground after doing the bounce routine and began to yaw. I tried cutting the motors with the Big Red Button......didn't work. If it had, I wouldn't be posting this today. At that point it began to ascend but not at the correct angle and the camera was facing the wrong way. It then moved out and did not go above 5 ft. AGL (that's five feet), stopped approximately the correct distance out (maybe not, didn't measure), hesitated like it didn't know where it was, turned around then began to descend and move back toward me.

Thinking it may be a GPS glitch or more I didn't think it was a good idea to switch into RTH; no telling what it would do. Not even sure that can be done anyway. Can't turn off GPS while in flight IIRC (would be PITA in emergency situations), so I just stood there helpless waiting for the inevitable. About 1/3 of the way back the landing gear caught the ground and the H went end over end violently.

I calmly walked over, glanced at it and noticed one clearly broken arm, two broken props and the camera dangling by two of the dampeners; didn't even care to look at anything else. I packed up, went home, grabbed the telemetry log, sent it off to Yuneec and loaded it into Exmaps to watch the cartoon. The modes during the Journey run were 3 (Angle mode), 27 (Journey mode) then 12 (crash). The rest is goofy as ****.

Absolutely nothing makes sense examining the log; it's pretty simple to follow. It's almost as if the H lost its mind and freaked out. KP was 2, 20 sats.....everything looked good to go.

This is my first crash in two years out of the three I've been these things (many hundreds of flights), and the last was due to a hardware bug in the AUAV-X2 FC (Pixhawk variant) I wasn't aware of, fixed with an update the next day. Fortunately no damage. Prior to that was totally my fault for entering an incorrect parameter setting for the compass orientation.

This would never have happened with my Arducopter machines because I could easily switch out and take control. Yuneec relies heavily on GPS and doesn't give the pilot much choice unless you lose GPS signal. If that doesn't happen and it glitches, you're pretty much screwed.

Could I have exited out of Journey? Not sure and it didn't cross my mind. Why should it? Something was malfunctioning and since there's no way to turn off GPS in flight, it is playing Russian Roulette flipping switches and such. Angle, Smart, RTH.....all GPS dependent.

I impatiently await Yuneec's response, and expect a brand new copter, not a repaired jalopy. There's no telling how many stress cracks are in the body/arms etc., or damage to the electronics and I won't ever trust it. I really like the H, but am very much concerned the FC code has a bit to be desired compared to what I'm used to and needs more failsafe redundancy.

If this is determined to be pilot error, I already have decided what to do.

Why haven't you just exit Journey?
I had briefly a same problem with CCC.
When the H was starting in CCC flying to WP1 i noticed he was way to low,
Maybe a GPS Problem too.
I exited CCC and save him this way from impact in the ground.
But it was close, 2sec. later and i would have had no chance to react anymore.

Glider,
Major suckage! From other post I have read sounds like there is a bad batch of GPS boards out there.
I hope Yuneec makes this right for you.
I am still waiting for a new ST-16 battery from them.

Where are you located? I am near Port Huron Mi.

Reactions: QuadBart
Glider, sorry to hear about your incident. It seems like an fc issue. Let's hope Yuneec sort you out with a new one.
Perhaps there should be a lock-out of automated modes if the board recognises issues?
I didnt know you could start Journey mode from the ground as the diagram in the manual shows the H in flight at the start.

Glider, sorry to hear about your incident. It seems like an fc issue. Let's hope Yuneec sort you out with a new one.
Perhaps there should be a lock-out of automated modes if the board recognises issues?
I didnt know you could start Journey mode from the ground as the diagram in the manual shows the H in flight at the start.
GEoCObg.png

Had a simlar problem with Journey mode. I started it at about 10 feet above ground. It spun around but left camera facing me. It flew up at correct angle and hovered for a short time and then it flew back quickly towards me while asending. It looked as if it was going to return lower than the 10 foot height it began so I hit EXIT and raised the left stick.

Journey mode is great but I don't think it should return back to you because someone is going to walk in front of a drone that is flying on it's own in return mode with no pilot input, or it's going to thunder into the ground.

Why haven't you just exit Journey?
I had briefly a same problem with CCC.
When the H was starting in CCC flying to WP1 i noticed he was way to low,
Maybe a GPS Problem too.
I exited CCC and save him this way from impact in the ground.
But it was close, 2sec. later and i would have had no chance to react anymore.

It was headed for a 4 ft. high fence probably somewhere near the same distance away it was programmed to go out. The telemetry logs showed it didn't exceed ~2.6m but it was a bit lower than that (normal AGL error). That's the mystery; why did it not ascend? Why did it yaw and not take off properly?

If I exited, which is not something I'm used to doing with a screen, maybe it would have stopped it from moving, but I pressed the dreaded RED BUTTON at the very start and it did nothing. Who knows if exiting would have done anything either; I knew it would go back to Angle mode which is still GPS. It happened fairly quickly and I'm used to switches, not screens to flip out of a mode. Again, if a GPS malfunction, switching to Angle would have put it into another GPS mode. The pilot should have an option to switch out of GPS mode while in flight. If he crashes because of it, that would be pilot error and responsibility. I would much rather have that option than stand there and watch it glitch. I've had GPS glitches; it doesn't mean you lose GPS completely, can be intermittent but can really wreak havoc.

The main reason I'm upset is I felt helpless not having the ability to obtain complete manual control of the craft, which means GPS/off.

Had a simlar problem with Journey mode. I started it at about 10 feet above ground. It spun around but left camera facing me. It flew up at correct angle and hovered for a short time and then it flew back quickly towards me while asending. It looked as if it was going to return lower than the 10 foot height it began so I hit EXIT and raised the left stick.

Journey mode is great but I don't think it should return back to you because someone is going to walk in front of a drone that is flying on it's own in return mode with no pilot input, or it's going to thunder into the ground.

Well if you're on a cliff......

Maybe a stick move on the way back to pause it would be good. I'm just not used to having to look at a screen to change modes. Before starting yes, after takeoff I'm watching the copter and my fingers programmed to know where the switches are.

Regardless, if it's a GPS glitch anything can happen if you flip out of Journey. I didn't think to hit exit; maybe should have but still is no excuse for what it did and the time was short. In my mind this was clearly a FC malfunction. I'm going back to measure the distance it flew. It's possible it was much less than the 94 ft. programmed.

It may be just down to my preferences, but I don't really see the point of journey mode.

It was headed for a 4 ft. high fence probably somewhere near the same distance away it was programmed to go out. The telemetry logs showed it didn't exceed ~2.6m but it was a bit lower than that (normal AGL error). That's the mystery; why did it not ascend? Why did it yaw and not take off properly?

If I exited, which is not something I'm used to doing with a screen, maybe it would have stopped it from moving, but I pressed the dreaded RED BUTTON at the very start and it did nothing. Who knows if exiting would have done anything either; I knew it would go back to Angle mode which is still GPS. It happened fairly quickly and I'm used to switches, not screens to flip out of a mode. Again, if a GPS malfunction, switching to Angle would have put it into another GPS mode. The pilot should have an option to switch out of GPS mode while in flight. If he crashes because of it, that would be pilot error and responsibility. I would much rather have that option than stand there and watch it glitch. I've had GPS glitches; it doesn't mean you lose GPS completely, can be intermittent but can really wreak havoc.

The main reason I'm upset is I felt helpless not having the ability to obtain complete manual control of the craft, which means GPS/off.
Two problems.... you started Journey mode from a landed position? I'm surprised it let you as that is not what it was designed for.

You pressed the Start/Stop button (big red button). That's for the motors. If it engaged then that would cause your H to thunder in.

It may be just down to my preferences, but I don't really see the point of journey mode.
It's cool for the Terminator effect. This ball of camera with a blinking light stays locked on you, a 6 bladed impossibly level machine in the blink of an rotates precisely 180 degrees and shoots up into the air, does another 180 and shoots back down at you, only just stopping in your face or as close as you dare go. The incoming speed is wicked...you just pray it's got everything under control or your looking at a dramatic smash...Its the thrill of it for the mo that I like...but yea in the future I hope to find some more practicable use for it.

I tried journey mode once and was surprised the H rotated with camera remaining fixed on controller it was pretty cool. Since you started journey at an angle lower than controller the H was trying to spin around and face away from you. Glad things didn't get worse. It is alarming when it heads back towards you. I wonder if it's using GPS as it's return target or the controller. I'll have to try journey and move after it goes away from me and see where it returns to. My guess is that it uses st 16 as target.

Two problems.... you started Journey mode from a landed position? I'm surprised it let you as that is not what it was designed for.

You pressed the Start/Stop button (big red button). That's for the motors. If it engaged then that would cause your H to thunder in.

You think I don't know what the EFFING start/stop button is used for? Don't patronize me.

Show me where it says Journey mode cannot be used in landed position. If it isn't supposed to, the code is garbage for letting it happen.

Now I may have pressed the start/stop to start the motors, I don't recall at this point, but it was pressed again after the copter launched and was clearly not working correctly in hopes to let it drop the 6" or so from where it was "hovering" and yawing for lack of a better term.

Virtually none of that matters as the copter flew a path that was completely unplanned and abnormal.

After reviewing the telemetry logs again, it does appear I started the motors (mode_8) before engaging Journey. The Alt reset to 0, so if the code is not written to prevent Journey from starting minimum x above AGL, that is not good. Also, suppose you land and the Alt is +20 ft. (happened to me) because of barometer issues. Logically then, if you start the motors, Journey mode could still start on the ground. So there are bugs that need to be ironed out here.

Sorry for ranting here folks, but this is really bad coding if that's the case. I trust Yuneec will look closely at my logs and determine it was not a normal flight pattern regardless of the start up procedure for Journey.
i28Dsfd.png

Well this "might" be something Yuneec would be interested in.
Transport Canada requires a design standard for commercial use where the pilot must have a way of manually controlling the UAV in case of failures such as this. It is not strictly enforced yet, but it will be. I am sure the FAA will do the same as they are both trying to coordinate. A switch for full manual is what I have on my other machines.
People buying these should know how to fly manually IMHO, which is a serious task if you are new to RC.
At minimum, you should not fly the H or any other expensive copter without knowing how to fly comfortably in at least angle mode, called other things on other copters, which is a whole lot easier than full manual. If you can fly full manual, then you are ready for sure. Not for the faint of heart.
Will save a lot of money and accidents.
If you are new....pleeeeaaaaase learn on something small and cheap. You will help the industry out and keep us from getting regulated out of flying.

The instruction picture shows the copter in the air but I haven't read where it says it must be in the air. The instructions assume you are creating an angle between the controller and craft that you'd like maintained for the selfie. I think what the H tried to do wasn't a "major malfunction" it tried to do what it was programmed to do. I'm not debating the clarity of the instructions they are pretty weak at best. The angle between st16 and H sitting on the ground would be a downward angle not upward. So what exactly failed in this case for you was an on screen warning of inappropriate angle or a STOP! Launch H and set angle at least x degrees. It does state in the manual that once journey is activated you can't control the gimbal/camera angle. Camera angle will remain where it was set before so in your case probably pointed straight. These instructions assume you've set up the shot which would require you to be in the air to create the angle and get yourself in the frame and to make sure nothing was in the way of that angle before swiping start.
Well this "might" be something Yuneec would be interested in.
Transport Canada requires a design standard for commercial use where the pilot must have a way of manually controlling the UAV in case of failures such as this. It is not strictly enforced yet, but it will be. I am sure the FAA will do the same as they are both trying to coordinate. A switch for full manual is what I have on my other machines.
People buying these should know how to fly manually IMHO, which is a serious task if you are new to RC.
At minimum, you should not fly the H or any other expensive copter without knowing how to fly comfortably in at least angle mode, called other things on other copters, which is a whole lot easier than full manual. If you can fly full manual, then you are ready for sure. Not for the faint of heart.
Will save a lot of money and accidents.
If you are new....pleeeeaaaaase learn on something small and cheap. You will help the industry out and keep us from getting regulated out of flying.

If you change flight modes it should give you back control. Switch to smart then immediately back to angle.
From the manual "The pilot can exit the function by tapping EXIT icon
or switching flight mode."

You think I don't know what the EFFING start/stop button is used for? Don't patronize me.

Show me where it says Journey mode cannot be used in landed position. If it isn't supposed to, the code is garbage for letting it happen.

Now I may have pressed the start/stop to start the motors, I don't recall at this point, but it was pressed again after the copter launched and was clearly not working correctly in hopes to let it drop the 6" or so from where it was "hovering" and yawing for lack of a better term.

Virtually none of that matters as the copter flew a path that was completely unplanned and abnormal.

Whoa partner, slow down there Tex. You're gonna blow a gasket (if not already). I think I was the second or third Typhoon owner on here to have a drone crash way back in May when the Typhoon was first released, so I feel your frustration. With that said, you're not the best at explaining yourself and I hope you were much clearer with Yuneec. Let me explain by answering your two questions above ...

- Journey mode clearly states that you set the camera angle to the angle you wish the drone to fly. You really can't do that on the ground unless of course you're Ant Man. It also clearly states that after it travels a certain distance it will return to where it left. If it left from the ground, well you're kind of asking for trouble. Your only saving grace, in my opinion, is that you did something (not fully thought out) that the drone was not designed to do and it let you do it. There should be a failsafe to not allow this to happen when on the ground so I'd say you have a case here.

- Second, to answer your question about the start/stop button. Yes, from what you've written in your statements, I'm having doubts that you fully grasp the use of the start/stop button. In a panic situation when the drone is flying directly at you or at an object, you can go ahead and press this "big red button" to have the drone drop from the sky. From your statement above your intent was to crash the drone before it crashed by stopping the motors. You said: "I tried cutting the motors with the Big Red Button......didn't work." So either way it was bound to crash.

Yuneec is really good with their customers and even though they may question why you did what you did, they will most likely repair or replace your drone. Now, if it were DJI you were dealing with.... from your statements above, you'd be on your own.

Have patience, Yuneec will come through for you (they are just a bit busy at the moment with so many other issues).

The instruction picture shows the copter in the air but I haven't read where it says it must be in the air. The instructions assume you are creating an angle between the controller and craft that you'd like maintained for the selfie. I think what the H tried to do wasn't a "major malfunction" it tried to do what it was programmed to do. I'm not debating the clarity of the instructions they are pretty weak at best. The angle between st16 and H sitting on the ground would be a downward angle not upward. So what exactly failed in this case for you was an on screen warning of inappropriate angle or a STOP! Launch H and set angle at least x degrees. It does state in the manual that once journey is activated you can't control the gimbal/camera angle. Camera angle will remain where it was set before so in your case probably pointed straight. These instructions assume you've set up the shot which would require you to be in the air to create the angle and get yourself in the frame and to make sure nothing was in the way of that angle before swiping start.

If you change flight modes it should give you back control. Switch to smart then immediately back to angle.
From the manual "The pilot can exit the function by tapping EXIT icon
or switching flight mode."

The thought of needing to "exit" didn't come to mind because there was no obstructions behind the copter except a 4 ft. high fence a good 75 ft. away or more.

There is no switch that is not GPS dependent. Switching from Smart to Angle to RTH will help nothing if there is a GPS glitch. Before takeoff is the only time you can switch GPS off and fly. My first thought was it GPS glitch or barometer error. As such simply turning off Journey did not occur to me. Gaining back control when a GPS glitch is suspected in my book means no GPS assist.

I did not adjust the angle of the camera because getting video wasn't important. I only wanted to test the flight mode and landed after POI so the camera was facing me. .

The copter yawed 180 degrees and did not fly as fast either. When it reached the end, it yawed 180 degrees again but returned at a steeper angle then crashed long before the starting position. It clearly shows this on Exmaps.

This is from the ST16:
Db8BW7Z.png

10 ft. away? I was ~15 ft away. It says nothing about being 10 ft high. What if you're on a hill or steps that is 10 ft. higher than you and you're 30 ft away but the ground behind that is at a slight angle upward?

I don't care which way one looks at this, it is a major malfunction both in the instructions and code. If the ascent angle is based on the camera angle relative to gravity and the craft needs to be in the air 10 ft. high, it should say that. All it says is the camera cannot be adjusted once in Journey mode.

Whoa partner, slow down there Tex. You're gonna blow a gasket (if not already). I think I was the second or third Typhoon owner on here to have a drone crash way back in May when the Typhoon was first released, so I feel your frustration. With that said, you're not the best at explaining yourself and I hope you were much clearer with Yuneec. Let me explain by answering your two questions above ...

- Journey mode clearly states that you set the camera angle to the angle you wish the drone to fly. You really can't do that on the ground unless of course you're Ant Man. It also clearly states that after it travels a certain distance it will return to where it left. If it left from the ground, well you're kind of asking for trouble. Your only saving grace, in my opinion, is that you did something (not fully thought out) that the drone was not designed to do and it let you do it. There should be a failsafe to not allow this to happen when on the ground so I'd say you have a case here.

- Second, to answer your question about the start/stop button. Yes, from what you've written in your statements, I'm having doubts that you fully grasp the use of the start/stop button. In a panic situation when the drone is flying directly at you or at an object, you can go ahead and press this "big red button" to have the drone drop from the sky. From your statement above your intent was to crash the drone before it crashed by stopping the motors. You said: "I tried cutting the motors with the Big Red Button......didn't work." So either way it was bound to crash.

Yuneec is really good with their customers and even though they may question why you did what you did, they will most likely repair or replace your drone. Now, if it were DJI you were dealing with.... from your statements above, you'd be on your own.

Have patience, Yuneec will come through for you (they are just a bit busy at the moment with so many other issues).

Show me where it says what you say above in bold. It says it will go UP, OUT and RETURN. My Solo could and AC MR's can take off from the ground, return and land in 'Dronie" mode. I saw nothing that indicated the TH was any different.

I said the copter was barely off the ground and had the motors cut off it would have simply not had a soft landing as normal would not have damaged anything. If that's a crash, this thing is made of glass. This H is the smallest lightest MR I have (save the toy grade ones). Sheesh, why is it everyone is assumed to be a complete dumbass?

I've posted about the start/stop button before warning people about it. WTF. The motors did not respond holding it down. The Journey flight (yawing and hovering) was SLOW for the first 5 seconds or so. I don't panic flying theses things after 500+ flights. The kill button did not work, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval