Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Criminal charges ..yikes

Let me guess…

Not registered with the FAA.

Flying beyond visual line of sight (otherwise there was no need to use the drone to see what was happening).

Likely not a Yuneec aircraft as he would have lost video feed after going beyond VLOS

Didn’t have a clue what the regulations are in regards to piloting a sUAS.

Once again genius has an upper limit and stupidity has no bounds.

Let me guess…

Flying beyond visual line of sight (otherwise there was no need to use the drone to see what was happening).

Likely not a Yuneec aircraft as he would have lost video feed after going beyond VLOS

Anyone that can fly into a helicopter with their drone is literally too stupid to breath air. This was someone that just didn’t care, otherwise he would have landed. Drone flying 101...when you see something else in the air......LAND....then figure it out afterwards.

Let me guess…

DoomMeister this is exactly why I posted the story about the drone being taken out by the UH-60B near the Veranzanno's Narrows Bridge. It needs to be drummed into every drone operator's head that they need to operate safely and smartly. Quite frankly, I feel that the idiot should've been criminally charged in the UH-60B incident. He was operating in an incredibly unsafe and reckless manner. He's just lucky that the drone hit a propeller and wasn't ingested into an engine!

To paraphrase Maverick from Top Gun, "When I fly, I have you know that safety comes first!"

Last edited:
Same here, and those that break/ignore/ignorant of the regulations should be the ones punished not those that adhere to the regs. I was really happy to see LAANC come along. The old method of contacting or trying to contact the owner/operator of every little grass strip or heliport was a major pain. The upcoming RID is another matter and the head of the FAA needs her head examined for that piece of work. Nothing but a way to clear the airspace for big business.

In addition to criminal charges, I hope they sue him for damages and repair costs to the helicopter. Even simple sheet metal/paint jobs are very, very expensive on aircraft.

Three big mistakes:
1) He flew at night.
2) He flew over a law enforcement incident.
3) He failed to give way to manned aircraft.
oh, and number four,,, He flew while stupid.
Now the cops are going to be crawling up our butts here in LA.
Thanks, (removed by moderator).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
Does anyone recognize the controller? Does not look like any of mine as it seems there is an lcd display at the top instead of the bottom.

Does anyone recognize the controller? Does not look like any of mine as it seems there is an lcd display at the top instead of the bottom.
I can’t get a clear enough view to read a brand name, but it appears to be a controller for an FPV drone. The display would be too small for video feed from the camera. Most likely uses goggles.

Pro criminal tip: Always do a full (not fast) format on your SD card before flying into police helicopters.

Interesting that they got a warrant to search the SD card. I'd have thought unencrypted, unprotected storage like a FAT32 formatted SD card found at the scene of a crime would be fair game to look through.

Let me guess…

Lol right on there, yeah more then likely a cheaper model from who knows where and was first time flying it...

I was flying at 300 feet in a wooded area in my home town when a Cessna almost took my drone out while he was buzzing the town.

Doesn't always have to be the drone fliers fault and stupidity is in the air and on the ground

I was flying at 300 feet in a wooded area in my home town when a Cessna almost took my drone out while he was buzzing the town.

Doesn't always have to be the drone fliers fault and stupidity is in the air and on the ground
I had a similar experience when a please chopper came over to take a look at me. I was very annoyed as he was lying at about 200 ft :mad: I was shocked to think that there would fly at at such a low altitude and put themselves and others in danger. In the summer months its hot uncommon to see light aircraft flying at lower that 500ft around the town where I live and as you said they would blame the responsible drone flyer if andaccadent happened :rolleyes:.
Regards.
Mike

Reactions: thoneter
I had a similar experience when a please chopper came over to take a look at me. I was very annoyed as he was lying at about 200 ft :mad: I was shocked to think that there would fly at at such a low altitude and put themselves and others in danger. In the summer months its hot uncommon to see light aircraft flying at lower that 500ft around the town where I live and as you said they would blame the responsible drone flyer if andaccadent happened :rolleyes:.
Regards.
Mike
Completely agree. Can't judge until it's in court and the fat lady sings

• Haha
Hi guys,

Here in UK after you get your UAV license we were all told to down load Airmap, great app you let them now what your flying I.e. model the weight and how high you are going to fly then you just use the map to put a circle and you can make it any size, within reason, and then put what time you will be flying.

Now if some bleep bleep Burk tries to say you did this and you almost crashed into etc etc ...

you just as 1 thing, " Did you login to Airmap and check for aircrafts ??? "

Nothing they can say, especially as we are all with CAA who made it all possible smugg mode.... ????

T

Hi guys,

Here in UK after you get your UAV license we were all told to down load Airmap, great app you let them now what your flying I.e. model the weight and how high you are going to fly then you just use the map to put a circle and you can make it any size, within reason, and then put what time you will be flying.

Now if some bleep bleep Burk tries to say you did this and you almost crashed into etc etc ...

you just as 1 thing, " Did you login to Airmap and check for aircrafts ??? "

Nothing they can say, especially as we are all with CAA who made it all possible smugg mode.... ????

T
In the US it makes no difference. Even if you plan your flight through AirMap and it shows you in the area and your planned altitude, a manned aircraft has the right of way. In a situation where there is a need for police, firefighters, first responders, etc. you must vacate the area for any aircraft and be at least 300 feet radius from any ground activity.

You do not use your drone to “go check it out” and interfere with operations taking place.

In the US it makes no difference. Even if you plan your flight through AirMap and it shows you in the area and your planned altitude, a manned aircraft has the right of way. In a situation where there is a need for police, firefighters, first responders, etc. you must vacate the area for any aircraft and be at least 300 feet radius from any ground activity.

You do not use your drone to “go check it out” and interfere with operations taking place.
Isn't this analogous to semi-trucks always having the right of way on the roads.

Its the same here with the CAA if a aircraft is near we must come down but we can go to 400ft max.

I do like the airmap restriction / No fly zone's in red and yellow.

T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval