Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Devastated | Typhoon H goes black & falls from sky

Reaction score
I was so excited to finally purchase my first yuneec product in late July 2016. Much to my disappointment however I have had many problems with my Typhoon H. No need to re-hash it all here and I will say that after a couple of calls to support on one of the first issues that yuneec did send some new parts and I was able to repair the faulty gamble mount. This time however I'm thinking ten dollars worth of parts won't get it.
I was flying along just fine. The Drone was not more than 150' up and maybe 300' away and everything seemed to be working fine. I had it in flight for 3 to 5 minutes I am guessing (these are all estimates, I have not seen the flight data yet as of this writing. Mostly I am just venting right now)... All of a sudden the lights all went out, the screen went blank and it plummeted to the ground. It all happened very quickly, but I am pretty sure it lit back up and I could hear the motors running full speed (or thats what it sounded like) but the drone would not respond and it struck the ground and broke into dozens of pieces. My heart is as shattered as my drone now. I have been flying for four years and have owned drones by DJI, 3D Robotics and now Yuneec. I have even built two myself from the table up. My point is this was not user error. Today is a national holiday in the U.S. so I am unable to reach support, but I do intend to get to the bottom of this. There was one detail of this crash that does kind of put a smile on my face though. Evidently hiding in the bushes within a couple of feet from where the drone came to its sudden stop on the concrete, was a cat.. im laughing right now as I type this.. You should have seen that cat leap out from those bushes when the drone crashed next to him. He looked like he was being shot out of a cannon. Haven't seen him since. I think he is still running maybe..

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3238.JPG
    IMG_3238.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3240.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 118
My story is the same. I am now using a second one. I've had no problems. I believe the battery wasn locked in. I'm very careful with that now. No problems since. I now have spare parts, second ST16 and charger. Expensive lesson.

Could either the ST-16 battery or the H battery have died or lost electrical connection?

I thought about that with the battery thing but I VERY seriously doubt that was the issue in this case. I did learn about the battery and it's tendency to slide out if not properly locked in one of the first times I picked the drone up having not locked it in all the way. The battery slid out on the floor .. no big deal but I learned then and there about the importance of ensuring a tight and complete fit. I realize anything is possible, but this time The power went off and then on again It went totally dark and silent and then as it fell it lit back up and I heard the motors spooling up. Also, the screen went blank for a second but then after the crash it was back on but the image that I last had seen from the drone was frozen in place on the monitor as if the camera was still capturing.. it's crazy.

Either way it was electrical. Check flight log. Tough I feel for you. Fly safe.

Reactions: Landmanjeep
What happened to yours is exactly what happened to mine. I had about 40 flights on mine when it happened. Yuneec repaired mine and sent it back. I asked what was the problem and they said no fault found. After some discussion, I convinced them that I cannot have a drone returned to me with a no fault found. So they shipped me a brand new one. I have about 20 flights on this one so crossing my fingers.

Stay on them and they should take care of you.

Sorry for the loss and I hope Yuneec takes care of you. If I were to go amateur NTSB on this I would lean towards the battery not being fully seated. If the battery were securely in the bay I do not think it would have received so much damage considering the body of the H is mostly intact. The battery receiving so much damage and being bent near the middle may indicate it was not fully inside the body at impact. It may have ejected during impact but it does seem like a loss of power situation.

Hopefully the logs will tell the story and you get a new H. Oh BTW only a woman can properly shatter your heart, not a drone.

I was so excited to finally purchase my first yuneec product in late July 2016. Much to my disappointment however I have had many problems with my Typhoon H. No need to re-hash it all here and I will say that after a couple of calls to support on one of the first issues that yuneec did send some new parts and I was able to repair the faulty gamble mount. This time however I'm thinking ten dollars worth of parts won't get it.
I was flying along just fine. The Drone was not more than 150' up and maybe 300' away and everything seemed to be working fine. I had it in flight for 3 to 5 minutes I am guessing (these are all estimates, I have not seen the flight data yet as of this writing. Mostly I am just venting right now)... All of a sudden the lights all went out, the screen went blank and it plummeted to the ground. It all happened very quickly, but I am pretty sure it lit back up and I could hear the motors running full speed (or thats what it sounded like) but the drone would not respond and it struck the ground and broke into dozens of pieces. My heart is as shattered as my drone now. I have been flying for four years and have owned drones by DJI, 3D Robotics and now Yuneec. I have even built two myself from the table up. My point is this was not user error. Today is a national holiday in the U.S. so I am unable to reach support, but I do intend to get to the bottom of this. There was one detail of this crash that does kind of put a smile on my face though. Evidently hiding in the bushes within a couple of feet from where the drone came to its sudden stop on the concrete, was a cat.. im laughing right now as I type this.. You should have seen that cat leap out from those bushes when the drone crashed next to him. He looked like he was being shot out of a cannon. Haven't seen him since. I think he is still running maybe..

OMG you just had to thro the kat in didn't you? :) So sorry for your loss, but you got me bustin out laughing~!

This morning, I too encountered the ST16 App going to black (I'm using the latest firmware). When that happened I just released all controls expecting the Typhoon H to just go into RTH mode. After about 15 seconds, the App came back to life. I checked on my ST16 for an App crash report. You should have one as well if your App crashed. Here is mine:

CRASHED APP.png

This morning, I too encountered the ST16 App going to black (I'm using the latest firmware). When that happened I just released all controls expecting the Typhoon H to just go into RTH mode. After about 15 seconds, the App came back to life. I checked on my ST16 for a an App crash report. You should have one as well if your App crashed. Here is mine:

View attachment 2884

HI Catp'n How does one find that file?

What happened to yours is exactly what happened to mine. I had about 40 flights on mine when it happened. Yuneec repaired mine and sent it back. I asked what was the problem and they said no fault found. After some discussion, I convinced them that I cannot have a drone returned to me with a no fault found. So they shipped me a brand new one. I have about 20 flights on this one so crossing my fingers.

Stay on them and they should take care of you.

i pray they do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval