Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Distance?

Reaction score
Just curious Q500 4K what would you consider a safe distance as in how far you can fly the Q away from you with out I guess possibly losing any kind of connection if that is possible to happen, not height but distance away? I have flown like 5 -6 times so far and just kinda cautious about how far away I can actually go.

Hi Rick. Because I am always "filming", I go by when I lose video transmission to the ST10. The UAV will fly a bit further, but I come back when I lose video. If you are in a low signal are, like a field with no wires around, it is usually around 1,000 to 1,300 ft, and about half that in a city or around power lines, for example.

Reactions: Jersey Jigger
oh wow ok, I was trying to take a photo of this castle which is far up on a mountain. Didnt get very close but than came across a video someone last year actually flew from where I was standing and was right on top of it, seems his drone took off and got up there quick thinking maybe a DJI but he stated in his video he was up 500ft and 2000ft out , I kinda get nervous flying so far away , havent had a crash yet etc so little cautious.

Reactions: FilmIdol
Hi Rick. Because I am always "filming", I go by when I lose video transmission to the ST10. The UAV will fly a bit further, but I come back when I lose video. If you are in a low signal are, like a field with no wires around, it is usually around 1,000 to 1,300 ft, and about half that in a city or around power lines, for example.

Can you clarify what is happening when the quad initiates the return home after losing signal with the ST10? My logic was, how does it know where to come back too if it can't tell where the ST10 (or myself) is located at that point? I get confused about this because in watch me and follow me, it is relying on a connection with the transmitter. Does the quad keep a "memory" of the last known GPS location within its "brain" and return to it without any communication with the actual ST10?

Thanks,

Reactions: PachangaDad
Hello Rick, I am Phil and welcome to a very good drone Forum!! I have had my Yuneec Q500 4k drone out as far as 2,100 feet distance from me. now keep in mind that includes my altitude of 650 feet and a steady cruise of 20 Mph max. granted i live right off an open small lake but still. You should be able to safely go about 1,600 feet out from the transmitter before you begin to get skips in the video reception, now also keep in mind as to if your in an enclosed area and weather like humidity also plays a huge part in distance. My best results are from partly cloudy clear days when the humidity was low and only a gentle breeze blowing from the southeast. You can always increase distance by adding an external antenna but that requires opening up the drone shell and soldering in-line- a longer antenna wire. Remember your drone can handle a good distance before the video cuts out and you still have like 600 feet you can usually go before the drone will auto return home.

Can you clarify what is happening when the quad initiates the return home after losing signal with the ST10? My logic was, how does it know where to come back too if it can't tell where the ST10 (or myself) is located at that point? I get confused about this because in watch me and follow me, it is relying on a connection with the transmitter. Does the quad keep a "memory" of the last known GPS location within its "brain" and return to it without any communication with the actual ST10? (QUOTE)

Rick i can answer that Question for you, tha answer is YES!! the drone is always taking "clips" of GPS data as its in flight and it relays that to the transmitter and that relays that back with the transmitters GPS location. When you first start the drone and begin flying, the drone initially saves its Lat and Lng in the ST10 on the SD card. the drone also keeps a copy in its internal memory and only erases it once you end the flight or once the drone is shut off. when you turn the drone on it fairly quickly figures out where its at and does a temporary download of both topography and Lat Lon So if at any time the vidoe and connection are both lost the drone resorts to the internal memory for its original path home. Now if you move away from your initial takeoff point and the drone loses connection then it will return to the original launch site.

Hi Phil and welcome to the site.
Just so your clear.... this post is well over two years old.
We look forward to your input and hope you enjoy your time on the site.
Happy flying and have a great day,
Jafo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis