Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Does anybody know how to do a power up testing in a no fly zone

Reaction score
There are times when I need to test landing gear and other functions where I live. It is a definite no fly zone because the glide slope for the airport is within 100 feet of my house. I'm an not talking about flying, just bench testing.
Any help will be appreciated.

Should be OK if there is NOT a GPS lock or if you turn it off.
I tried that. I power up the st-16 turn off the GPS setting in the calibration mode, then I turn on the "H" and within a few seconds I get the no fly zone warning. The ST-16 still picks up satellites when the calibration setting for GPS is set to off.

I tried that. I power up the st-16 turn off the GPS setting in the calibration mode, then I turn on the "H" and within a few seconds I get the no fly zone warning. The ST-16 still picks up satellites when the calibration setting for GPS is set to off.
That is correct. You can't really turn off GPS. When "GPS Off" is selected, the flight controller simply ignores the input. Both the ST16 and the H continue to track sats. If you turn both on 5 miles away and get a new fix, that will be the stored location. Then if you have a place inside the house where you get no reception from sats you can turn on both units, disable GPS and then it should power up.

Apply for a waiver? Sorry, but I view most of these posts about powering up in an NFZ as a veiled attempt to find a way to operate in an NFZ without obtaining a waiver. If it was otherwise they could be on the phone to Yuneec CS, have a waiver form sent to them via e-mail, fill it out, scan it, return it via reply to e-mail, and have the restrictions lifted by the end of day to within a couple of days.

That people are not doing this suggests they either do not want to or are unaware of the waiver process. I just helped eliminate one of those reasons with this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinstray
Apply for a waiver? Sorry, but I view most of these posts about powering up in an NFZ as a veiled attempt to find a way to operate in an NFZ without obtaining a waiver. If it was otherwise they could be on the phone to Yuneec CS, have a waiver form sent to them via e-mail, fill it out, scan it, return it via reply to e-mail, and have the restrictions lifted by the end of day to within a couple of days.

That people are not doing this suggests they either do not want to or are unaware of the waiver process. I just helped eliminate one of those reasons with this post.
That is not the case. In the interest of public safety I am trying to do some trouble shooting on my workbench and not trying to fly under the radar so to speak. I have applied for the waiver and it was denied due to the proximity to the glide slope of the airport. Less than 100 ft from the center of the glide path way of one of their busiest runways.

That is correct. You can't really turn off GPS. When "GPS Off" is selected, the flight controller simply ignores the input. Both the ST16 and the H continue to track sats. If you turn both on 5 miles away and get a new fix, that will be the stored location. Then if you have a place inside the house where you get no reception from sats you can turn on both units, disable GPS and then it should power up.
You mean like a Faraday cage? Pretty extreme methods for a hobby.

Cover the gps antenna with some aluminum foil and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cover the gps antenna with some aluminum foil and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about I take PatR's tin foil hat and use that?

Two options here. I've bench tested RC planes including ducted fans and rotary wing over the years. To test everything besides your landing gear secure the gear to your bench with bungee chords or rope. Be sure to go completely around (under) your bench just to be safe. Control surfaces can be checked this way at any throttle setting without worry. To test your landing gear you'll need a helper. If it were mine I'd be the one securely holding the Drone and have the helper flip the gear switch.

Two options here. I've bench tested RC planes including ducted fans and rotary wing over the years. To test everything besides your landing gear secure the gear to your bench with bungee chords or rope. Be sure to go completely around (under) your bench just to be safe. Control surfaces can be checked this way at any throttle setting without worry. To test your landing gear you'll need a helper. If it were mine I'd be the one securely holding the Drone and have the helper flip the gear switch.
The issue here would be the motors will not start in a no fly zone. The only way around that is to lock in GPS coords from a different location and then prevent the GPS from updating when turned on again in the NFZ location. You can get special firmware but only thru Yuneec.

Thanks Mr. Carr! That is the tip I was looking for.:D

The issue here would be the motors will not start in a no fly zone. The only way around that is to lock in GPS coords from a different location and then prevent the GPS from updating when turned on again in the NFZ location. You can get special firmware but only thru Yuneec.

Thanks Steve, I didn't catch the NFZ part in terms of the H being software prohibited. I live within 5 miles of an airport, but not as close as T.C. and shouldn't be in a NFZ. My H is showing up tomorrow. Will I have the same issue? Thanks!

Thanks Steve, I didn't catch the NFZ part in terms of the H being software prohibited. I live within 5 miles of an airport, but not as close as T.C. and shouldn't be in a NFZ. My H is showing up tomorrow. Will I have the same issue? Thanks!
It depends on the airport. Only major airports are loaded in the firmware. Smaller airports are not, but the rules still apply. If within 5 miles you are supposed to notify the control tower when you plan to fly, the location, the duration and the max altitude. In any case always stay clear of the approach and departure corridors.

I made a big mistake! I called the local FSDO office to get the Waiver and they shot me down and did not even listen to the part of bench testing. Apparently he was having a bad day. I thought since I worked closely with the FAA in the past they might be more lenient. Hah!
Call customer service at Yuneec, I believe they have JEDI like powers. "These are not the drones we are looking for." Even if you get the waiver You must be extremely vigilant while operating your drone. When I said I was not interested in flying in my yard I am very serious. My yard is small and I have a bunch ham radio antennas and guy wires in my air space. Must look like a spider's web from above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval