Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Issue

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I figured I would make a post up here on the forum to see of any comments people may have.

I am a big fan of the drones by Yuneec. Very happy with the quality of product.. However, my first test flight ended up with the drone literally falling out of the sky within the first few minutes of hovering 20-25 feet in the air. Unfortunately, it was hovering over concrete and came slamming down and shattered the 4k camera, broke landing gear and two of the motor arms off. It was a rough landing and did lots of damage.

Is this a drone defect? Under what circumstances should the drone ever (with all the advanced technology) just come crashing out of the sky? It had no object contact, there was nothing nearby. All of a sudden all 6 motors stopped and it just fell out of the sky.

I dug around online and found people providing telemetry log data. I found some other sensor data files and I have attached them here.

Can you guys let me know what you think? Is this something that Yuneec can help me replace or fix? I really feel like this could have been a manufacturing defect but I have no idea how I can prove it.. Please provide guidance!

I am really trying to be very patient. I understand issues can happen, but I am still in shock! Thank you very much for any and all guidance and help you can provide me.

TELEMETRY LOG DATA:

Dropbox - Telemetry_00004.csv

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 11.55.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 11.55.38 PM.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
From the telemetry it appears the battery lost connection which generally means it vibrated out because it wasn't fully locked into place.
Can you post a picture of the battery?

Hi steve,

Thanks for your response. The battery was plugged in definitely, it even stayed in when it fell out of the sky on the floor so it was definitely locked into place. It was fully charged as well, I got no battery warnings or anything. Attached is a picture.

After taking a picture of it untouched directly from the flight, I removed the battery and pushed it in without the click and the drone didn't turn on, so if the battery isn't pushed until the click theres no way it would have turned on

Attachments

• IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 34
Chrisdaden, sorry to hear about your crash. Some have found that a complete loss of power in flight was due to not fully seating the battery in place. Here is quick demonstration of how a battery not all the way in, can still power up only to fail once in the sky. Not saying this is what happened in your case but could it have been?

Thank you for the help so far everyone. That video is a nice reference.

I was trying to be diligent about my drone use and literally completed a flight checklist. One was to check the seating of the battery. I'm confident it was pushed in..

In addition, in after crash condition, I was able to test turn it back on to see if he still turned on and he did turn right on all the lights without any changing of the seating to the battery.

Can someone help me interpret the telemetry data? The fact that the last recorded telemetry was at positive 10.0 means the battery disconnected right?

Updated: Had some typos that changed the meaning of what I was saying

On most of my H's I actually hear two Clicks. The second click is the battery locking into place. It is really easy to miss that second click. I know because I have managed to do it......twice.
However, it is also possible there is a problem with where the battery plugs into the socket. I'm guessing this will be covered by Yuneec regardless of the circumstances. You will need to call them to open a ticket. When you call you will be on hold for a bit and then you will get the option to have someone call you back. Use the option or you will be on hold for a long time.

The telemetry stops recording at the time of power loss. The only thing you can determine for certain is that the whole system shut down.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I don't have an H, but from everything I have read about them, focusing on batteries, there are actually 2 clicks to inserting an H battery. the first click is when it connects with the power prongs and the second is the locking mechanism. It is this second click that most people who have a mishap seem to miss. with only the first click, the battery is held into place by it's connection to the power adapter. In this position, it can still vibrate loose and cause a loss of power in flight. With my 4K, I am extra diligent to give that extra push on the battery to ensue it contacts solidly, then close the door and ensure it latches.

I am a big fan of the drones by Yuneec. Very happy with the quality of product.. However, my first test flight ended up with the drone literally falling out of the sky within the first few minutes of hovering 20-25 feet in the air.

Not trying to be picky, but I'm confused.:confused: I would not be be a big happy fan if my drone fell out of the sky on my first flight.:mad:
Maybe I'm missing something.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to be positive here ..

I really am impressed with the intel controller, the packaging I got with everything organized in the backpack etc.

So, besides the drone falling out of the sky, I'm looking at the glass half full.. lol

At this point I am hoping Yuneec will side with me and help with drone replacement or repair.. does anyone have experience or understand the likelihood they will help?

I'm trying to be positive here ..

I really am impressed with the intel controller, the packaging I got with everything organized in the backpack etc.

So, besides the drone falling out of the sky, I'm looking at the glass half full.. lol

At this point I am hoping Yuneec will side with me and help with drone replacement or repair.. does anyone have experience or understand the likelihood they will help?
I haven't had the need to ask Yuneec for help fortunately but I have heard almost only great things about how great Yuneec's customer service is. I am sure there are a few exceptions like everything else in life.

I am somewhat confused on the battery falling out issue. For me, the first "click" is the tab on the top rear of the battery as it first goes inside the battery bay. The second click is the same tab locking the battery into place (which is why you must lift up on the pull tab to lower that locking tab when pulling the battery out). When the second click is heard, the battery is flush with the body and there is no ambiguity to it being seated and locked in place. For those who have had a battery falling out, was it not flush with the body? Why fly it if it isn't obvious that it is where it belongs? I would certainly question the fact that the battery is not flush.

In my experience as an RC pilot for almost 40 years, I seen a lot of new pilots; and some with experience, get a bit nervous or apprehensive - just as they ready for the flight. I can't tell you how many new model airplanes I have seen take off and roll into the ground because the ailerons were reversed, or watch someone pump up their pneumatic retracts prior to the flight only to have the model fall on the ground because the retract switch was left in the "up" position and a dozen other things that should never have happened but they do. I think its possible that some pilots are so focused on the actual flight or getting the right shot/video clip, or where they want to fly; that they move too quickly through the preflight and could miss such a detail as the battery being all the way in and locked. Preflight is probably the most critically important part of the flight and its just unfortunate that it comes right before the fun part because that can cause some to rush through it.

Pat

100% concur. Far too many times I've watched people hurry when hurry was the thing not to do. The things they rushed to complete bit them on the a$$ shortly thereafter.

...and of course, having spent £1000+ pounds, you may be nervous to force a battery securely in to place as it can seem a little too resistant.

In my experience as an RC pilot for almost 40 years, I seen a lot of new pilots; and some with experience, get a bit nervous or apprehensive - just as they ready for the flight. I can't tell you how many new model airplanes I have seen take off and roll into the ground because the ailerons were reversed, or watch someone pump up their pneumatic retracts prior to the flight only to have the model fall on the ground because the retract switch was left in the "up" position and a dozen other things that should never have happened but they do. I think its possible that some pilots are so focused on the actual flight or getting the right shot/video clip, or where they want to fly; that they move too quickly through the preflight and could miss such a detail as the battery being all the way in and locked. Preflight is probably the most critically important part of the flight and its just unfortunate that it comes right before the fun part because that can cause some to rush through it.
Pat
The first time I didn't get the bat all the home was when 2 guys were talking to me, asking questions. Any distraction should be cause to stop your prep. Fortunately it was only a 2 minute flight. I landed and saw the bat not locked in.
The second time it was dark and fireworks were going off. I had left my flashlight by the bag. I couldn't hear the click over the noise. I should have felt around the bat to feel for any gap. Didn't. Big Mistake.

UPDATE: Everything is handled. It was a defect with the contacts to the battery and the vibrations reproduce it every time- even with the battery being fully seated. It was not that I didn't plug the battery in all the way - although I will use this as advice for future flights.

Thanks for your help everyone.

UPDATE: Everything is handled. It was a defect with the contacts to the battery and the vibrations reproduce it every time- even with the battery being fully seated. It was not that I didn't plug the battery in all the way - although I will use this as advice for future flights.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Fantastic. I'm pleased to hear the problem was found. That is indeed a rare occurrence but it does happen. Good work staying on top of the situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss