Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

"Dronecompares.com article not very positive about H or RealSense

People miss the point in the "vs" posts. You're comparing a 1st generation H to a P4 in its refined trim and expect a fair comparison? You must give Yuneec time to figure out real world issues. We know this who buy first releases because honestly we have a hard time waiting. I for one appreciate the H for what it is and don't compare it to anything as the standards aren't equal.

Reactions: Tuna
People miss the point in the "vs" posts. You're comparing a 1st generation H to a P4 in its refined trim and expect a fair comparison? You must give Yuneec time to figure out real world issues. We know this who buy first releases because honestly we have a hard time waiting. I for one appreciate the H for what it is and don't compare it to anything as the standards aren't equal.
I agree and I love the H, I truly do! But before it came out someone that I guess was beta testing it posted some images on Yuneec-Forums and showed that it was an exact copy of a pretty decent security camera. I can't remember the these name but to search for it over there. Knew it was not gonna be the best cam when I saw that and it's worse than I thouught. Calling a spade a spade, they need to get a camera that at least 1/5th matches the sweetness of its flying ability. Just my thought based on my own personal experiences and what I've read. Could be wrong. And I mean and actual and literal security camera. He busted it open and proved it with some part numbers.

I agree and I love the H, I truly do! But before it came out someone that I guess was beta testing it posted some images on Yuneec-Forums and showed that it was an exact copy of a pretty decent security camera. I can't remember the these name but to search for it over there. Knew it was not gonna be the best cam when I saw that and it's worse than I thouught. Calling a spade a spade, they need to get a camera that at least 1/5th matches the sweetness of its flying ability. Just my thought based on my own personal experiences and what I've read. Could be wrong. And I mean and actual and literal security camera. He busted it open and proved it with some part numbers.

All of the action cams (GoPro, DJI, Yuneec) use pretty much the same chipsets, though there is some variation in max bandwidth (which decides resolution and framerate) and on-camera processing. There are a relatively small number of companies producing these chips, so yes, you'll find the same stuff in security cameras. That doesn't make those chips bad choices for video.

Unlike some of the competition, the defaults for the camera are not quite as good for 'out of the camera' video. That means people who're used to the DJI or GoPro will not get the results they expect if they just do what they have always done when moving to the Typhoon. Again, it doesn't mean the camera is bad, just different.

We seem to be seeing increasingly high quality videos coming out of Typhoon owners. There's definitely a learning curve, but I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting.

Reactions: DroneClone
Just watched the review. I found it to finally be a much more honest review than many of the others. By "honest" I mean that at least this guy says he is a DJI Fan Boy right from the start. He also says the Typhoon has many other features (as does the P4), but he's just getting to the final point. Finally, he points out all the most common shortcomings of the Typhoon H that we have all discussed on this forum.

I'm a long time DJI user as well. The Typhoon H does not compare well to the P4 or P3 or Inspire 1 at all. The Typhoon H is a bit in it's own class and has it's own followers. Heck, I bought one!

Think of it this way. Let's say you've been using an iPhone all your life. Then suddenly someone hands you a Samsung android phone. You're gonna try and use the Samsung android phone the same way you used your iPhone and you're not going to be happy right?. And this is exactly the issue I have with every comparison review... It is that the reviewer is already in the DJI camp. So you may as well get used to having review after review where the Typhoon H falls short and does not receive a "buy" recommendation because the only drone that everyone wants to compare it to is the Phantom 3 or 4.

Whenever I am asked to recommend a P4 or Typhoon H to someone just entering the hobby drone market, I always ask the potential buyer what they plan to use it for, then provide my recommendation based on their response.

All of the action cams (GoPro, DJI, Yuneec) use pretty much the same chipsets, though there is some variation in max bandwidth (which decides resolution and framerate) and on-camera processing. There are a relatively small number of companies producing these chips, so yes, you'll find the same stuff in security cameras. That doesn't make those chips bad choices for video.

Unlike some of the competition, the defaults for the camera are not quite as good for 'out of the camera' video. That means people who're used to the DJI or GoPro will not get the results they expect if they just do what they have always done when moving to the Typhoon. Again, it doesn't mean the camera is bad, just different.

We seem to be seeing increasingly high quality videos coming out of Typhoon owners. There's definitely a learning curve, but I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting.
I agree Tuna!, my videos from day one to present are the difference between night and day, and I still have a long ways to go ! I was just so used to the DJI auto WB and Auto Color that I never had to dabble with manual settings!, Now that I am dabbling, I am finding I am getting pretty equal result, how be it, I have to manually do it ! I am pleased with results also ! :)

There are dozens of these "reviews" that are actually DJI ads with the intent to steer potential customers from Yuneec to DJI. They have been operating a smear campaign ever since the H was announced. They have dozens of people with phony accounts on Youtube who make ridiculous statements about the H on nearly every post they can find. It's a pretty sad, but effective, business strategy by DJI.

Wow I can't believe how bad it has gotten. Every Video for the H you watch is preceded by a Phantom 4 advertisement.
Now the bashing is on You-tube calling it a lemon or Major flaws of the H. Nothing has resembled the experience I have had with the H.
One even said that the H won't connect to the ST-10 controller. But it doesn't come with that controller?? W.T.F??
They really looking for something to talk bad about, Nothing on all of the positive features.

Wow I can't believe how bad it has gotten. Every Video for the H you watch is preceded by a Phantom 4 advertisement.
Now the bashing is on You-tube calling it a lemon or Major flaws of the H. Nothing has resembled the experience I have had with the H.
One even said that the H won't connect to the ST-10 controller. But it doesn't come with that controller?? W.T.F??
They really looking for something to talk bad about, Nothing on all of the positive features.
They are trollers! have no knowledge , just hot steam!

I don't know where you got this info but the chipset in the Phantoms are designed and developed by Sony and the Yuneec products, Panasonic and the Yuneec camera is literally from a security camera OR AT LEAST the one that opened his up was. That was pre-release so might have changed it.

They aren't the same camera and don't look like they are either.

They are all pretty decent for what they are (a 20mm lens emulating a 35mm camera) but they are not the same chipset.

You mentioned GoPro which doesn't even use the same native codec. Yuneec and DJI (with the Phantom and H anyway) use AVC hardware h.264 encoders and the GoPro uses their own proprietary codec called CineForm, never mind the different glass between cameras.

I own both so I have no horse in this race.

I agree Tuna!, my videos from day one to present are the difference between night and day, and I still have a long ways to go ! I was just so used to the DJI auto WB and Auto Color that I never had to dabble with manual settings!, Now that I am dabbling, I am finding I am getting pretty equal result, how be it, I have to manually do it ! I am pleased with results also ! :)
Using Auto White Balance on your P4 was a mistake to begin with. Do you not see your video constantly changing color? I can't believe they even added an auto white balance. Auto white balance is the strangest thing I've ever seen on a camera.

White balance is a compass for the rest of your color. If you tell your camera this is white or this is black, then all your other colors will fall in line. SUPER WHITE is RGB at 255, 255, 255 and SUPER BLACK is 0,0,0 on the RGB scale and when you tell it what that is on your image it will know what color on your image is lavender which happens to be (230, 230, 250). Make sense? It literally makes no difference what you set your white balance to unless you don't know how to click a button in you editor or color grader to say "this is white". Once it knows what is white, it will know what is green, blue, purple, etc. if you put it on auto, it's constantly changing making white balancing pointless.

Never use auto white balance on anything, including your Phantom. As for the point and shoot settlings, they are not half bad on the Phantom but glad you're learning manual on your H, as there is no such thing as a point and shoot photographer that is worth anything.

Last edited:
They are trollers! have no knowledge , just hot steam!
Exactly, they are trollers, not DJI. If anyone knows Asian business culture, a) they don't believe in Intelectual Property (unless a lawyer in the US tells them to) ans b) they would never do the "smear campaign" as economics in Asian culture is very honor based and people would be fired for dishonoring their company by doing something like that.

To put it clearer, there is no chance in **** that DJI is behind the whole goffiness on YouTube. As for commercials, that's a perfectly legit thing to do and their right to. I am not a fan boy of either, and own multiple UASs from both and to be honest, I'm still waiting for a company to be a fan boy of.

There is a lot of rumors out there about what Apple has coming around the bend in a year or two and of course it will be the best but everyone will say "hey, they are just copying everyone else" and I am an Apple fan boy because they have awesome products and even better customer service. Also, is like these billions to go to an American company and keep the money here. DJI will always be the company that started the drone revolution and will go down in history but history is in their future. (That was a cool line). :)

Last edited:
Never use auto white balance on anything, including your Phantom.
TBH I don't use auto anything for video. You can get away with using auto functions for still shots that allow for raw processing but it is not a good option for video. Maybe.... maybe for ISO but not for much of anything else.

TBH I don't use auto anything for video. You can get away with using auto functions for still shots that allow for raw processing but it is not a good option for video. Maybe.... maybe for ISO but not for much of anything else.
I agree with you. For a capable and experienced photographer, manual control is often better than using automatic controls. Being fairly new to drone flying, when I first got my H, I initially focused on learning its flight characteristics, and above all, building my knowledge and experience so I would be a safe pilot. While I am also new to aerial photography, I have been involved in photography for quite some time and have a good working knowledge of photography and post production editing. That said, I was most intrigued about the H because it provided safer flying with its motor/propeller redundancy; and I liked the 360 degree camera/gimbal and landing gear. RealSense looked awesome from a safety perspective but it was not a primary need in my H buying decision. I recently made a patriotic July 4th video of my community which began and ended with a tight shot of the American flag flying at the entrance to the community. There was also a piece of video footage that kept focused on the flag in the foreground while the CGO3+ was panning the background. This is not an easy shot for someone flying a DJI Inspire without a second person controlling the camera and it cannot be easily done in a P4 where the operator is both flying the drone and controlling the camera. I was able to do it myself with the H and I felt it was an integral part of the successful impact of the video. Should the CGO3+ be better than it is? Maybe yes, but please remember, the H cost only $1,299 with a $200 wizard thrown in. To get this functionality with a DJI hex, one would need to spend more than 4x that price. So, I think people should chill out and not be so quick to complain about the H camera not being as good as DJI's. I still have a lot to learn in using the CGO3+ more effectively than I have so far. I am very happy with my H in terms of price/perfomance. If I owned a Corvette ZO6 which cost $90k, I could wine that it does not have some of the driving characteristics of a $350k Ferrari. But that is not a fair comparison and maybe I can't afford or don't need a Ferrari. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzCougar
I agree with you. For a capable and experienced photographer, manual control is often better than using automatic controls. Being fairly new to drone flying, when I got my H I initially focused on learning its flight characteristics and above all, building my knowledge and experience so I would be a safe pilot. While I am also new to aerial photography, I have been involved in photography for quite some time and have a good working knowledge of photography and postproduction editing. That said, I was most intrigued about the H because it provided safer flying with the motor/propeller redundancy and I liked the 360 degree camera/gimbal and landing gear. RealSense looked awesome from a safety perspective but it was not a primary need in my H buying decision. I recently made a patriotic July 4th video of my community which began and ended with a tight shot of the American flag flying at the entrance to the community. There was also a piece of video footage that kept focused on the flag in the foreground while the CGO3+ was panning the background. This is not an easy shot for someone flying a DJI Inspire without a second person controlling the camera and it cannot be easily be done in a P4 flying and taking video solo. I was able to do it myself with the H and I felt it was an integral part of the successful impact of the video. Should the CGO3+ better than it is, maybe yes, but please remember, the H cost only $1,299 with a $200 wizard thrown in. To get this functionality with a DJI hex one would need to spend more than 4x that price. So, I think people should chill out and not be so quick to wine and complain about the H camera not being as good as DJI's. I still have a lot to learn in using the CGO3+ more effectively than I have so far. I am very happy with my H in terms of price/perfomance. If I owned a Corvette ZO6 which cost $90k, I could wine that it does not have some of the driving characteristics of a $350k Ferrari. But that is not a fair comparison and maybe I can't afford or don't need a Ferrari. Just my opinion.
No whining, Just facts and as a seasoned photographer you should acknowledge that! I love my H, but if it sported a P4 camera, I would love it even more!:rolleyes:;)

No whining, Just facts and as a seasoned photographer you should acknowledge that! I love my H, but if it sported a P4 camera, I would love it even more!:rolleyes:;)
DC, I understand your frustration in wanting to have a better camera on the H. So would I. The only point I am making is that for the price point Yuneec was trying to meet for the H, they most likely had to consider tradeoffs. The H included features the P4 does not have and vice versa. Sometime in the near future, it is probable Yuneec will offer a better camera as an upgrade option. For me, the CGO3+ is ok for the interim, given all of the other things about the H that I am happy to have and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneClone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval