Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Dual Band Control Redundancy…Okay….

Hal

Reaction score
Now that we have "Dual Band Control Redundancy"…. What does that mean to us that have modified our H's with two external antennas and added an external antenna to the ST16?

We know the camera uses 5.8GHz…. The two external antennas on the H are 2.4 GHz for telemetry. The antenna I added to my ST16 was also 2.4GHz using Zigbee protocol --- So, where does 5.8GHz come in and do I need to replace any antenna with a dual band antenna? The ST16s internal WiFi board has two bands -- But again, I thought 5.8GHz was reserved for video only.

They've just used the 5.8gHz video link as a second band I believe. The TX/RX of the craft takes next to no bandwidth so no problem for them to add that in.

Sounds promising….. But what about the antennas on the H? Many of us moved the two to external and used 2.4GHz 3DBi omnis ---- Not exactly tuned to 5.8GHz.

Sounds promising….. But what about the antennas on the H? Many of us moved the two to external and used 2.4GHz 3DBi omnis ---- Not exactly tuned to 5.8GHz.
There is a 5.8GHz circular polarised antenna external to the H already (the one that looks like a mushroom), that's the video link and now also the second RC link.

Oh sorry, on the H the 5.8GHz antenna is build directly into the camera. The external mods done are for telemetry and standard RC link

on the H the 5.8GHz antenna is build directly into the camera. The external mods done are for telemetry and standard RC link

But the camera run independent to the telemetry and it's receiver does not communicate with the H itself. There is an internal WiFi board… Guess it now uses both bands. Just trying to figure out if I need to swap antennas at any point and if the redundancy only occurs as a backup and how (or when) it switches...

But the camera run independent to the telemetry and it's receiver does not communicate with the H itself. There is an internal WiFi board… Guess it now uses both bands. Just trying to figure out if I need to swap antennas at any point and if the redundancy only occurs as a backup and how (or when) it switches...

I'm not clear how the redundancy is handled at the H's end - the implication is that the camera can pass control signals onto the H itself when the 5.8GHz channel is being used to fly.

I'm not clear how the redundancy is handled at the H's end - the implication is that the camera can pass control signals onto the H itself when the 5.8GHz channel is being used to fly.

I would believe that the contact terminals from the H to the camera only send voltage to the gimbal and camera itself -- Perhaps there is some type of feedback signal that tells the H how the gimbal is responding and to make sure it is balanced? I would conclude that the internal WiFi board on the H would handle the 2.4 and 5.8 control/telemetry signal --- But, now, do I need to swap out my single 2.4 external antennas on the H to now dual band? The antennas are likely to be longer with the same gain and might interfere visual with the camera as it pans...

I would believe that the contact terminals from the H to the camera only send voltage to the gimbal and camera itself -- Perhaps there is some type of feedback signal that tells the H how the gimbal is responding and to make sure it is balanced? I would conclude that the internal WiFi board on the H would handle the 2.4 and 5.8 control/telemetry signal --- But, now, do I need to swap out my single 2.4 external antennas on the H to now dual band? The antennas are likely to be longer with the same gain and might interfere visual with the camera as it pans...

I don't think that's correct. Remember that when you do a firmware upgrade, you stick the SD card in the camera and it upgrades the H as well. There's clearly a data link between the camera, gimbal and H.

This feature was enabled through a firmware update, so it's not changing how the hardware behaves. If the H needed dual band antennas, it would surely have had it from the start? As it is, the 5.8Ghz antenna is in the camera and the 2.4 in the H.

I don't think that's correct. Remember that when you do a firmware upgrade, you stick the SD card in the camera and it upgrades the H as well. There's clearly a data link between the camera, gimbal and H.

This feature was enabled through a firmware update, so it's not changing how the hardware behaves. If the H needed dual band antennas, it would surely have had it from the start? As it is, the 5.8Ghz antenna is in the camera and the 2.4 in the H.

Exactly what I thought. I believe the 5.8GHz redundant link is piggy-backed onto the Video link. It makes perfect sense and is a better redundancy than a dual band on the standard RC link!

Keep in mind I modified my H and moved the antennas externally with cable and WiFi style omnis --- (Not just a wire antenna)

Yep.... I can accept your conclusion.... Good point about upgrading and the SD card in the camera. I would be interested to know when the 5.8GHz "takes over" and what effect it has on range. Perhaps when it reaches out of range and before it auto "returns to home" it switches to the 5.8GHz signal? Pretty vague from Yuneec on what this redundancy actually does or how it works...

Tuna, this redundancy is a surprise for sure. Why did they do it? Is there more outside interference, noise, etc. on 2.4? I'm thinking that 2.4 generally has more line-of-sight range, but 5.8 may penetrate trees, whatever, better. Just whistling in the dark, I really have no idea.

It's not something us as an end user needs to worry about. It's similar to us having both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz wifi networks at home. If there's poor signal or other interference on one frequency range then the device will change to the clearer one. The standard 2.4GHz will always take priority as that's the control standard, has separate antennas and better range. The nice thing is the 5.8GHz is circularly polarised. This means its better at rejecting it's own reflections (multipathing interference). This is important in built up areas and forests etc. where you have lots of things for the signal to 'bounce' off.
The 5.8GHz is not there for extended range in open fields, it's just a really nice redundancy feature that Yuneec have implemented for us that gives a backup when flying with interference.

As a non electronics person it seems interesting to use the 5.8 as a backup for control. The first signal to fail when flying anywhere is the 5.8 video signal. Can someone explain how this new feature is a serious redundancy positive.

BTW my H updated very smoothly and no problems to date.

You are assuming you lose video first. Not always the case and if that does happen then you can still flick RTH.

It is a decent idea and someone will be thankful at some point, although they may never know 5.8 saved their bacon.

You are assuming you lose video first. Not always the case and if that does happen then you can still flick RTH.

It is a decent idea and someone will be thankful at some point, although they may never know 5.8 saved their bacon.

I've never lost telemetry or control but loss of video signal is most likely at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech