Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E50 / E90

I'm thinking that a CGO3+ with 6mm Pixaero lens would be as good as the E50 and probably a lot cheaper.

But you also have to buy the 480? I think adding it all together is more expensive :rolleyes:

But you also have to buy the 480? I think adding it all together is more expensive [emoji57]

Not more expensive at all. Example; December of 2016 I bought a second Typhoon H from CarolinaDronze. Two things I wanted changed before it shipped were the lens on the CGO-3 and the 2.4g aircraft antennas. So a PixAero 3.77 lens was installed in the new camera and 2.4g dipole antennas were installed on the bird at CarolinaDronz. The combination voided factory warranty for the system but the total cost was in the area of $1,300.00.

If you elect to buy a new camera and have a different lens installed then the price gets a lot closer to the E50 camera, but bear in mind the E-50 is not compatible with the H-480. To employ the E-50 you must first buy a 520, which is a heck of a lot more expensive than a Typhoon H.

As the E-50 is still a 12Mpxl camera the only real difference between it and the CGO-3 is focal length. The E-50 lens focal length is close to the same, if not the same, as a Peau 8.25mm lens. The sensor and processor is likely the same as the CGO-3, just installed in a gimbal altered just enough to mitigate the difference in weight of the new lens. Not making the new cameras, or at least one of them, backwards compatible was an extremely bad marketing/design error.

Last edited:
Not more expensive at all. Example; December of 2016 I bought a second Typhoon H from CarolinaDronze. Two things I wanted changed before it shipped were the lens on the CGO-3 and the 2.4g aircraft antennas. So a PixAero 3.77 lens was installed in the new camera and 2.4g dipole antennas were installed on the bird at CarolinaDronz. The combination voided factory warranty for the system but the total cost was in the area of $1,300.00.

If you elect to buy a new camera and have a different lens installed then the price gets a lot closer to the E50 camera, but bear in mind the E-50 is not compatible with the H-480. To employ the E-50 you must first buy a 520, which is a heck of a lot more expensive than a Typhoon H.

As the E-50 is still a 12Mpxl camera the only real difference between it and the CGO-3 is focal length. The E-50 lens focal length is the same, if not the same, as a Peau 8.25mm lens. The sensor and processor is likely the same as the CGO-3, just installed in a gimbal altered just enough to mitigate the difference in weight of the new lens. Not making the new cameras, or at least one of them, backwards compatible was an extremely bad marketing/design error.

The batteries are worth the H480 for the H520 but then the transport, having to make another insurance, etc...... eliminate the comfort... uffffff I understand you but at least I still do not know about having another drone. I think it's more expensive and you don't have the features that the H520 has, although you have others that he doesn't have................... It's complicated..............

As the E-50 is still a 12Mpxl camera the only real difference between it and the CGO-3 is focal length. The E-50 lens focal length is the same, if not the same, as a Peau 8.25mm lens. The sensor and processor is likely the same as the CGO-3, just installed in a gimbal altered just enough to mitigate the difference in weight of the new lens. Not making the new cameras, or at least one of them, backwards compatible was an extremely bad marketing/design error.
You are in the right path

The E-50 lens focal length is the same, if not the same, as a Peau 8.25mm lens.
Here's what I've found from my research:
Lenses.JPG

I am concerned that 8mm or 8.25mm lenses will be more difficult to stabilize with a TH gimbal designed for a ~2.5mm lens. That's why I am planning to install the Pixaero 6.00 mm lens (if I can get it).

You have legitimate concerns. A gimbal cannot be balanced to accept multiple focal lengths using a single balancing set up. Any changes in weight, or a lever arm increased by extending focal length upsets the balance. As a longer fixed focal length lens will typically be heavier, a lot of care has to go into the selection of a different lens when it’s to be used on a gimbal designed around the sole use of a specific lens. You have to contend with the both the electronic offsets used for stabilization and the composition of mechanical dampeners. You can work with the mechanical but not the software stabilization, unless you have open access to the code. The impact of this was apparent in videos from the early adopters of the Peau 8.25, and are also apparent with the 920’s 14-42mm lens when extended.

It will be interesting to see how they price the new H+. Those wanting the E-50 focal length camera but not wanting to buy a 520 to use it might be in for some sticker shock at $1800.00, especially if Yuneec establishes the E-50 as an accessory option at additional cost. As they’ve already done that at the 520 level I expect to see similar at H+ level.

Last edited:
You have legitimate concerns. A gimbal cannot be balanced to accept multiple focal lengths using a single balancing set up. Any changes in weight, or a lever arm increased by extending focal length upsets the balance. As a longer fixed focal length lens will typically be heavier, a lot of care has to go into the selection of a different lens when it’s to be used on a gimbal designed around the sole use of a specific lens. You have to contend with the both the electronic offsets used for stabilization and the composition of mechanical dampeners. You can work with the mechanical but not the software stabilization, unless you have open access to the code. The impact of this was apparent in videos from the early adopters of the Peau 8.25, and are also apparent with the 920’s 14-42mm lens when extended.
So, the mechanical balance can be handled with small counterweights. But what about the "electronic offsets" for a 6.00mm lens? How will that effect the video images?

If you adapt the gymbal configuration to the heavier lens you have it fixed. In fact, the E90 that I can talk about is not properly balanced. Because being properly balanced means that with the drone turned off the camera must remain without tilting, either vertically or horizontally, which is the desirable.

I try to make it always like this but obviously only the same camera works with the same gimbal to get it. Otherwise, as you say, you have to have and load a different configuration per camera. Or the same camera with different lenses, which is the same thing.

Why does it have to be well balanced? To remove unnecessary work from the motors, you eliminate corrections and therefore lower consumption. Everything counts.

What is the reality? Except for very specific cases of very few models from different manufacturers, they are always unbalanced. What's more, they are usually only seen well balanced in DIY drones. It's funny but true.

From my own experience of what I have, and from the videos of other cameras available, it can be clearly said that none of them are well balanced. I'm only talking about Yuneec but if we look at other manufacturers we find the same thing. As soon as the drone is turned off, while the camera is horizontal, it falls and tilts like ripe fruit.

The manufacturers' solution, even though all cameras are the same with their integrated gymbal as with all Yuneec cameras, is to make the correction by means of the motors.

They consider that if the difference is very small, it does not significantly affect performance.

What is the reality? Except for very specific cases of very few models from different manufacturers, they are always unbalanced. What's more, they are usually only seen well balanced in DIY drones. It's funny but true.

From my own experience of what I have, and from the videos of other cameras available, it can be clearly said that none of them are well balanced. I'm only talking about Yuneec but if we look at other manufacturers we find the same thing. As soon as the drone is turned off, while the camera is horizontal, it falls and tilts like ripe fruit.

They consider that if the difference is very small, it does not significantly affect performance.

The above is so very true. If a gimbal does not remain in position when the power is cut you know much or most of gimbal stabilization is being handled electronically. Those that understand this put a bit of effort in correcting the gimbal balance.

The above is so very true. If a gimbal does not remain in position when the power is cut you know much or most of gimbal stabilization is being handled electronically. Those that understand this put a bit of effort in correcting the gimbal balance.
I haven't been doing any counterbalancing of the camera when using the ND filters. Perhaps I should. Although I've seen no problems with camera stability so far. Just extra work for the gimbal motors and more battery usage.
Thanks for the inputs Pat and arruntus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig