Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Endangering wildlife

Are you worried about crows attacking then drone? Do they?

Dunno if they do actively go after drones. My worry is the number of them that I saw on Tuesday and the likelihood of disturbing them or suffering a bird strike because of the number of birds. Think Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit there, but there were quite a few flying to and from the tower. I suspect, though, that the number of them was linked to the time of day I was there since I've noticed that at other times there are non to be seen. That is why I didn't decline the job there and then opting to monitor the situation for a week to determine the best time of day for the operation. The client (a man of God you might say) is happy for me to delay the operation while I monitor the situation.
A single crow most likely won't, but if it is a large group of them (a murder), there is a good chance they will. I have had it happen many times in the industrial area where I live. They are very smart and know what they are doing when it comes to an unknown object they do not want around.

What I have observed with them is this. Usually when you become of interest to them one will fly near you to see what you are. Within a few moments of that, others will fly away but only to come back at a you from a different approach, kinda like they are going to flank you.

My only solution to this so far is to fly your UAV away from them and very fast, because when they start to circle, you are kinda screwed. The crows group together and circle to look as though they are one large object......intimidation factor. You can't force your way through them as that is a huge no no.

Anytime they are around, I have a couple of spotters watching them because they are so sneaky and fast. When they decide to come at you, it's very quick how they get organised. A few times they were so close that all the video caught was complete black in the field of view.

It's kinda surreal when it happens, but I honestly don't know what a guy can do. Perhaps an Airsoft pistol to keep them away?.....it's non-lethal, but not sure what the rules for Airsoft are where you live. Remember they are smart, so if they find that every time they go towards your UAV they get a little spank from the Airsoft plastic bb, there is a good chance they will learn not to go after it.....at least that group of them.

I climb and turn away if approached by birds. It's a lot more work for them to pursue in ascent.

If that doesn't work I lock sidewinders and fire.

Last edited:
A single crow most likely won't, but if it is a large group of them (a murder), there is a good chance they will. I have had it happen many times in the industrial area where I live. They are very smart and know what they are doing when it comes to an unknown object they do not want around.

What I have observed with them is this. Usually when you become of interest to them one will fly near you to see what you are. Within a few moments of that, others will fly away but only to come back at a you from a different approach, kinda like they are going to flank you.

My only solution to this so far is to fly your UAV away from them and very fast, because when they start to circle, you are kinda screwed. The crows group together and circle to look as though they are one large object......intimidation factor. You can't force your way through them as that is a huge no no.

Anytime they are around, I have a couple of spotters watching them because they are so sneaky and fast. When they decide to come at you, it's very quick how they get organised. A few times they were so close that all the video caught was complete black in the field of view.

It's kinda surreal when it happens, but I honestly don't know what a guy can do. Perhaps an Airsoft pistol to keep them away?.....it's non-lethal, but not sure what the rules for Airsoft are where you live. Remember they are smart, so if they find that every time they go towards your UAV they get a little spank from the Airsoft plastic bb, there is a good chance they will learn not to go after it.....at least that group of them.

Wow, I believe every word. Just never imagined, or seen it ,with crows and a drone. Like I said, lots of crows where I fly and there's always a few hanging around when I'm flying around my yard. They just never seem to care one way or the other.

Hmmm. Doesn't sound promising. I don't like the sound of that. Only thing I can do is what i've already mentioned: Bring out of retirement an old P2V and launch that first to see their reactions. At least if they attack the P2V I won't have lost anything...it's just sat in it's box on a shelf never expected to fly again.

Airsoft? Not familiar with that. Is it like an air rifle? I have a .22 air rifle but if I use that I'll just be killing them and that isn't something I'd like to do...and most probably illegal.

Hmmm. Doesn't sound promising. I don't like the sound of that. Only thing I can do is what i've already mentioned: Bring out of retirement an old P2V and launch that first to see their reactions. At least if they attack the P2V I won't have lost anything...it's just sat in it's box on a shelf never expected to fly again.

Airsoft? Not familiar with that. Is it like an air rifle? I have a .22 air rifle but if I use that I'll just be killing them and that isn't something I'd like to do...and most probably illegal.
I have found that they don't always investigate me, but don't let it stop you. I agree, send up something else first to see their reaction. I find that I have the most problems when there are more than 5 crows, they are like trouble making teens. Airsoft is like a bb gun but uses plastic a plastic bb instead.

I have found that they don't always investigate me, but don't let it stop you. I agree, send up something else first to see their reaction. I find that I have the most problems when there are more than 5 crows, they are like trouble making teens. Airsoft is like a bb gun but uses plastic a plastic bb instead.
Ah. I know them as 'Segdon' guns. I had one in the early 1960's when I was a young nipper. As I recall, they weren't too powerful...certainly not powerful enough to injure a bird but prolly good enough to scare them off. Not sure if we can get them anymore. Maybe a web search is in order.

The weather is c.rap here in NW England at the moment so I still have plenty of time to evaluate these birds habits. Looks like the weather won't improve enough for a flight until next Monday at the earliest. I'll pull that retired P2V off it's shelf in the next few days and check if the WI-FI range extender is still working.

Ah. I know them as 'Segdon' guns. I had one in the early 1960's when I was a young nipper. As I recall, they weren't too powerful...certainly not powerful enough to injure a bird but prolly good enough to scare them off. Not sure if we can get them anymore. Maybe a web search is in order.

The weather is c.rap here in NW England at the moment so I still have plenty of time to evaluate these birds habits. Looks like the weather won't improve enough for a flight until next Monday at the earliest. I'll pull that retired P2V off it's shelf in the next few days and check if the WI-FI range extender is still working.
Just a quick search so you have an idea. Airsoft Guns | Just BB Guns

Just a quick search so you have an idea. Airsoft Guns | Just BB Guns
ah, I see. The one I had all those years ago was similar to those spring airsoft pistols on that web site. It was more like a toy gun really that fired small plastic balls. Of course, I wouldn't dream of carrying one of those around these days. Too likely to be mistaken for a real firearm and attracting unfavorable attention from police firearms officers...they shoot first and ask questions later. As you know, England has very strict gun control laws...I have an air rifle and haven't dared to take it outside in a couple of years even though it is legal.

Thanks for the link.

Reactions: Murray Martz
My kid was right into that years ago. Him and his buddies would spend all weekend pretending they where special Ops LOL
Good times for sure.

I see they are playing paintball, it's a lot different than Airsoft, but still fun.

Ya they don't let the kids play airsoft till they get older. Thank god he lost interest as that stuff is expensive as heck.

I think people are getting a little too picky about this. I used to fly helicopters for the forestry service and we were told to intentionally fly low to herd animals in a direction where they were captured and examined at random. I did this for several years. Also, I flew in Oregon where we were spotting bears and shooting them with tranqs and studying them and placing GPS collars on them. Also, these bears can be baited and shot at close range during hunting season. A bear isn't afraid of me in the woods so I doubt a bear is afraid of a little drone flying high in the sky. My experience with bears is that they are more curious the afraid.

Once a flock of about 50 rooks that were feeding several hundred metres away came and took a look at my H520 then went back to feeding. Only one of these seemed aggressive and got really close, but that was very brief. I suspect birds react differently to my my H520 and Typhoon H and have wondered if it's the colour of the H520 that makes them more nervous.
Birds are highly sensitive to the speed of approach and to minimise disturbance, unsurprisingly very slow is best.
If you wanted to deter birds approaching, some warning colouration might help, usually yellow and black.

Once a flock of about 50 rooks that were feeding several hundred metres away came and took a look at my H520 then went back to feeding. Only one of these seemed aggressive and got really close, but that was very brief. I suspect birds react differently to my my H520 and Typhoon H and have wondered if it's the colour of the H520 that makes them more nervous.
Birds are highly sensitive to the speed of approach and to minimise disturbance, unsurprisingly very slow is best.
If you wanted to deter birds approaching, some warning colouration might help, usually yellow and black.
In nature, Yellow & Black means danger. "dont't try to eat me because if you try you will be sorry".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop