Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

error messages on my H?

Reaction score
Hey to all the Yuneec enthusiast out there, my post this morning is concerning error messages, and although my H has and is flying perfectly without problems I have noticed it is starting to get a little loose in flight (meaning quick little movements, dropping very slightly in altitude...basically mildly jittery...etc) it is very minimal and I hope not anything to be concerned with however I am getting error messages in my post flight summary in my UAV Toolbox app. I will first say that I do not feel I have been calibrating my compass and accelerator properly truth be told, just wanted to mention that as I feel it is probably the reason for the error message?. I have been studying telemetry all week on my H, I worked with the data to plug into Google Earth, I plotted out data in line charts...etc just looking around thru my information on board just out of curiosity and to understand my craft that much more. As I dig into my summary reports I am noticing a trend in error messages and info, my first 12 flights I was showing zero error messages, then I started getting compass calibration errors, slowly but surely more and more. I have calibrated the compass several times but I have done it on top of my roof top from the building I live, and where I take off from most times. I live in downtown San Francisco and my roof is obviously completely surrounded by concrete buildings, skyscrapers, structures, about 15-20 satellite dish TV antennas.....etc an amazing place to fly however I feel instinctively not a good choice? And concerning accelerator calibration I have done that as well a couple dozen times over the last couple of months, however I just saw a video from Yuneec explaining the importance of all the little details of calibration. I have not been finding true north, and or using a spirit level...etc Once again I am just trying to give as much info as possible and to be honest in what I have been doing in the hope I can give an accurate account...etc The error messages slowly started maybe 2-3 compass calibration error per flight, happening every other flight....etc then it started increasing dramatically, a few flights I see over 40 compass calibration errors during my flights. The other thing I want to mention is in the past few months of flying since purchasing I have only gotten maybe 3 messages on my ST-16 that came thru and alerted me, meaning had I not looked at the telemetry data I would have not seen any of the errors, nor would I know anything was going on????? It was digging thru my summaries and due diligence that I found any of these, although I have to be honest and say I have noticed a slight bit of performance difference in that my H seams to dip and move erratically, but it is very minor and happens once in a while. Anyway to summarize after reviewing my telemetry data of my Typhoon H pro that I have owned for 3 months, I noticed compass calibration errors start roughly a week or so into flying it, and has progressively gotten worse and worse, I also had one other error message, a Motor_failure_ESC? I watched the media, and reviewed my data for this flight and I do not see anything that happened for that message? It lasted literally for 1 sec during my flight? I also noticed my FSK. values went from within range (at least by the color indicated in UAV) to red for almost every flight, and again that is in \the summary window looking at my data. If I had to take my best guess I feel as if I need to just take more time pre flight and calibrate properly, staying away from skyscrapers to calibrate next to LOL and just be more thorough in preflight check list. If anyone could help me out with this and maybe review my data and or offer advice it would be greatly appreciated, as I am just trying to be preventative instead of waiting for something to happen....Also even thou I am going to study each value today and the meaning of these values....FSK...etc if anyone could point me to a good source of interrupting my Telemetry data, thanks guys sorry to go on and on I just wanted to give every one as much info as I could as to help them help me.

It would be a lot easier to digest the long ramble if it was broken down into subject matter paragraphs.

I tried reading it and segmenting as needed to address the different subjects but after 3 tries I gave up. I got lost in all the clutter every time. BTW, I too am a crusty old man but I have lots to do and little time to so them in.

Hey to all the Yuneec enthusiast out there, my post this morning is concerning error messages, and although my H has and is flying perfectly without problems I have noticed it is starting to get a little loose in flight (meaning quick little movements, dropping very slightly in altitude...basically mildly jittery...etc) it is very minimal and I hope not anything to be concerned with however I am getting error messages in my post flight summary in my UAV Toolbox app. I will first say that I do not feel I have been calibrating my compass and accelerator properly truth be told, just wanted to mention that as I feel it is probably the reason for the error message?. I have been studying telemetry all week on my H, I worked with the data to plug into Google Earth, I plotted out data in line charts...etc just looking around thru my information on board just out of curiosity and to understand my craft that much more. As I dig into my summary reports I am noticing a trend in error messages and info, my first 12 flights I was showing zero error messages, then I started getting compass calibration errors, slowly but surely more and more. I have calibrated the compass several times but I have done it on top of my roof top from the building I live, and where I take off from most times. I live in downtown San Francisco and my roof is obviously completely surrounded by concrete buildings, skyscrapers, structures, about 15-20 satellite dish TV antennas.....etc an amazing place to fly however I feel instinctively not a good choice? And concerning accelerator calibration I have done that as well a couple dozen times over the last couple of months, however I just saw a video from Yuneec explaining the importance of all the little details of calibration. I have not been finding true north, and or using a spirit level...etc Once again I am just trying to give as much info as possible and to be honest in what I have been doing in the hope I can give an accurate account...etc The error messages slowly started maybe 2-3 compass calibration error per flight, happening every other flight....etc then it started increasing dramatically, a few flights I see over 40 compass calibration errors during my flights. The other thing I want to mention is in the past few months of flying since purchasing I have only gotten maybe 3 messages on my ST-16 that came thru and alerted me, meaning had I not looked at the telemetry data I would have not seen any of the errors, nor would I know anything was going on????? It was digging thru my summaries and due diligence that I found any of these, although I have to be honest and say I have noticed a slight bit of performance difference in that my H seams to dip and move erratically, but it is very minor and happens once in a while. Anyway to summarize after reviewing my telemetry data of my Typhoon H pro that I have owned for 3 months, I noticed compass calibration errors start roughly a week or so into flying it, and has progressively gotten worse and worse, I also had one other error message, a Motor_failure_ESC? I watched the media, and reviewed my data for this flight and I do not see anything that happened for that message? It lasted literally for 1 sec during my flight? I also noticed my FSK. values went from within range (at least by the color indicated in UAV) to red for almost every flight, and again that is in \the summary window looking at my data. If I had to take my best guess I feel as if I need to just take more time pre flight and calibrate properly, staying away from skyscrapers to calibrate next to LOL and just be more thorough in preflight check list. If anyone could help me out with this and maybe review my data and or offer advice it would be greatly appreciated, as I am just trying to be preventative instead of waiting for something to happen....Also even thou I am going to study each value today and the meaning of these values....FSK...etc if anyone could point me to a good source of interrupting my Telemetry data, thanks guys sorry to go on and on I just wanted to give every one as much info as I could as to help them help me.
Ok, I'll give it a go...you mentioned 40 compass calibration errors. The number isn't as important as to the duration from start to finish in the time stamp of the log. You may see 40 errors yet the duration may only be 1-2 seconds. I have seen those in my telemetry data but they only seem to appear when I operate the landing gear.

Besides facing compass north when doing a compass calibration you also don't want to be near any fences, metal wires, piping, re-bar in concrete, power lines, etc. Probably difficult to do in the city, unless you can find a park near by.

When calibrating the accelerometer, try to be level. I haven't needed to go to extremes with mine using a level etc. I just look for a good flat surface. You can use a marble to test if you don't trust your eyes.

As far as dipping and basic jittery behavior, look at your stick movements in the hardware monitor and make sure you are getting full deflection and immediate return to center. If no full deflection, or slow to return to center you may have dirty pots in the gimbal which can be remedied with plastic safe electronic component cleaner sprayed into the sticks or ideally by removing the back of the ST16 but from what others have said, not always necessary.

I gotta say that when I attempted to read the opening post I gave up on it about 2/3 the way through.

What I can contribute, however, is that compass errors of short duration appearing in the logs is nothing to be too concerned about. It's only if you see errors of longer duration appearing...more than a couple of seconds...that should be investigated.

I've never bothered with finding North when doing my compass calibrations (maybe I should), but I've not encountered an issue through this.

Regarding the accelerometer calibration. Again, no spirit level for me. Yes, I find what I believe to be a level surface...my dining room table...but I don't use a spirit level to check it.

I gotta say that when I attempted to read the opening post I gave up on it about 2/3 the way through.

Regarding the accelerometer calibration. Again, no spirit level for me.

I'll risk being misunderstood again,:eek:
@FlushVision, I suppose the OP used the "Stream of Consciousness" style of posting. I have tried to read books written in that style, "tried" being the key. There is a forum rule about formatting.:)

Your reference to "spirit level" gave me inspiration for an excellent method of leveling the drone. Using an appropriate size container, fill it with sufficient spirits, float a flat piece of Styrofoam on that, then set the drone on the foam. Gravity will give you the perfect level for calibrations.:D
When finished, properly dispose of the spirits.:cool:

Reactions: gwhuntoon
I'll risk being misunderstood again,:eek:
@FlushVision, I suppose the OP used the "Stream of Consciousness" style of posting. I have tried to read books written in that style, "tried" being the key. There is a forum rule about formatting.:)

Your reference to "spirit level" gave me inspiration for an excellent method of leveling the drone. Using an appropriate size container, fill it with sufficient spirits, float a flat piece of Styrofoam on that, then set the drone on the foam. Gravity will give you the perfect level for calibrations.:D
When finished, properly dispose of the spirits.:cool:
That made me laugh. Thanks for that...I needed it:D

The thread has been cleaned up. Please keep post friendly and helpful. If the post is not for you, pass it up. If you see an issue, don't retaliate, us the report button.

Think.jpg

Regarding the accelerometer calibration, am I the only one that uses the newer hovering instructions from the 1.2 manual? The manual discription is a little "off" but there are YouTube videos that are clearer...

"ACCELEROMETER CALIBRATION
STEP 1) Place the TYPHOON H on a level and stable surface. Switch on
the ST16 Ground Station and the aircraft and wait till the RC and WiFi
connected.
STEP 2) Make sure the FLIGHT MODE switch is in the middle position.
Tap the GPS Calibration button, and choose 'ACCELEROMETER'.
STEP 3) Keep the aircraft hovering during the calibration process.
During calibration, the main led will blink red, green and blue slowly
at first and start the motors and take off the aircraft, then the LED will
blink rapidly afterwards. When the LED blinks slowly, land and air craft
and stop the motors. If calibration succeed. The copter will restart
automatically. You will recognize the this when you hear the raising
tone.
NOTICE: You must do the accelerometer calibration in no-wind condition."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members