Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA 107 Drone Test

Reaction score
HI, is anyone else out there suspicious of the 107 drone test? I have taken a 7 week online drone academy course which I passed with an 87% passing rate. I have taken the FAA test twice and failed it.
I crammed and studied for weeks for this test. Anyone can share any light would be much appreciated, tks Maureen

Not at all. I studied for it....and the sources and curriculum I used prepared me very well. No problem with it and the test was exactly what I expected. The questions and answers on the test were not verbatim from the study materials, but were along the same lines....so with an understanding of the underlying concepts, answering the questions was easy.

If you’re not passing the FAA exam, I’d seriously question the course you took initially.

I agree with what Fred said, some of courses are reportedly very good and then there are some that may not be so good. I found that I could only get a grasp of the concepts by reading through all of the study material provided by the FAA until it was second nature, some courses try to show you questions and the resulting answers without explaining the 'why'.

I found the 107 initial exam to be very straight forward, exactly how I thought it would be. The problem with using example test questions such as in many courses, is that it gets one used to seeing the answers and memorizing things like numbers and so forth. On the FAA test, they are notorious for little tricks that will fool someone who is looking for an answer but fails to see the qualifier. Such as 100 MPH vs 100 Knots or 1000 AGL vs 1000 MSL. Only having a full comprehension of the material is going to get you through the FAA 107 test process.

Last edited:
I took the course with the drone launch academy and was a very good learning course. The FAA really doesn't want anyone flying drones and I'm just suspect of the place administering the test. I took the test on a computer screen, no mention of an FAA test when answering the questions anywhere so how do I really know its an FAA test being administered by this flight school that I took it at? I don't understand why they (the testing place) won't let you write down the questions you got wrong so you can study harder. I don't understand WHY we have to know every single runway marking when we are not allowed to fly drones anywhere near an airport. I can pass the drone launch academy test but can't pass this test twice. Something to me sounds very fishy..

How did you come across this testing center? You can look on the FAA website and see a full list of verified testing centers. And yes, the 107 is administered via computer screen. At the end of the test you will have been issued a report that clearly states what the test was along with your score. You say you failed twice, do you remember the dates or how long you had to wait before taking the exam the second time.

I agree with what Fred said, some of courses are reportedly very good and then there are some that may not be so good. I found that I could only get a grasp of the concepts by reading through all of the study material provided by the FAA until it was second nature, some courses try to show you questions and the resulting answers without explaining the 'why'.

I found the 107 initial exam to be very straight forward, exactly how I thought it would be. The problem with using example test questions such as in many courses, is that it gets one used to seeing the answers and memorizing things like numbers and so forth. On the FAA test, they are notorious for little tricks that will fool someone who is looking for an answer but fails to see the qualifier. Such as 100 MPH vs 100 Knots or 1000 AGL vs 1000 MSL. Only having a full comprehension of the material is going to get you through the FAA 107 test process.

I agree I will say the drone launch academy was very good and very thorough and agree the FAA does play tricks..tks for the input

Well, I meant they do use questions that can trick us if we don't know the material. ;) I understand your frustration but recently the number of 107 certificated pilots in the US topped 100,000 so it's not something that is unreachable. At the end of the test you are allowed to review the questions you missed, or so I am told. Did they not let you see those questions?

How did you come across this testing center? You can look on the FAA website and see a full list of verified testing centers. And yes, the 107 is administered via computer screen. At the end of the test you will have been issued a report that clearly states what the test was along with your score. You say you failed twice, do you remember the dates or how long you had to wait before taking the exam the second time.
I did get the testing center from the FAA site, its was taken at a flight academy school. Yes it is given by pc screen but have no idea is it truly the FAA questions? How do you know? Yes I saw the test report at the end, but it just tells you the amount you got wrong. I'm not allowed to write anything down as to which qeustions I got wrong. I had to wait two weeks between each test. I studied and crammed and studied extra hard on the sectional charts, etc. both times.

Well, I meant they do use questions that can trick us if we don't know the material. ;) I understand your frustration but recently the number of 107 certificated pilots in the US topped 100,000 so it's not something that is unreachable. At the end of the test you are allowed to review the questions you missed, or so I am told. Did they not let you see those questions?

I saw the questions but was not allowed to write anything down which I feel is un-fair. I mean I had a 3.6 GPA in college I consider myself to be fairly smart but this test is beyond. I know the test is not supposed to be easy, but they shouldn't allow the two (the test and the learning academy's) to be that different on language.

No one is allowed to write down the questions or in a short order every question on the test would be floating around the internet and the test would be useless. My understanding is that there are over 1000 questions from which 60 are pulled at random for a given test - no one has control over that. When you saw the questions you missed, could you not get a general idea as to what the areas you need help on are?

From part 107.71 about retesting I found this

A person who fails the aeronautical knowledge test will receive a knowledge test report pointing out the areas of knowledge on which he or she did not test well. That person will then have 14 days to conduct additional study or training in those areas of knowledge prior to retaking the knowledge test. Specifying a prescriptive method of study is not necessary in this rule. Instead, the applicant will be incentivized to select the method of study that works best for him or her.

Were you allowed to review the problems you did not answer correctly before you left the testing center?

What areas of knowledge did you have trouble with?

If you get your 107 cert. you may have reason to fly near an airport and you need to know proper procedure for getting clearance, knowing what traffic patterns will be in force at the time, weather, etc.

The 107 certification is a pilot license for flying remotely, but you need to know much the same material that a pilot sitting in the cockpit knows. Would you feel comfortable piloting a real plane with your knowledge level of the material you were tested on?

And to be honest, I think the test doesn't go far enough, on the knowledge side perhaps but I think showing proficiency in operations should be part of the overall test such as they have in other countries. In fact as commercial operations go, we in the US have it fairly simple.

@Maureen I am going to provide you with a link to an attorney's website who specializes in 'Drone' law. On this site there is a ton of resource material including sample exams and much more, It is all free to look at and if you want more you can sign up. I would suggest maybe take a look at a different source and see if you can learn something that perhaps was missing in your other studies. Between this site and the FAA, there is everything one needs to not only pass the test but ace it. I am not affiliated in any way with them or any other training firm, just helping out. Good Luck. Rupprecht Law

No one is allowed to write down the questions or in a short order every question on the test would be floating around the internet and the test would be useless. My understanding is that there are over 1000 questions from which 60 are pulled at random for a given test - no one has control over that. When you saw the questions you missed, could you not get a general idea as to what the areas you need help on are?

From part 107.71 about retesting I found this

A person who fails the aeronautical knowledge test will receive a knowledge test report pointing out the areas of knowledge on which he or she did not test well. That person will then have 14 days to conduct additional study or training in those areas of knowledge prior to retaking the knowledge test. Specifying a prescriptive method of study is not necessary in this rule. Instead, the applicant will be incentivized to select the method of study that works best for him or her.

Yea no kidding your not allowed to write it down I found that out the first time. Yes I got a general idea and studied extra hard on the sectional charts after the first time. Yes I did receive the test report after the first time, did you not read the earlier posts here?

And to be honest, I think the test doesn't go far enough, on the knowledge side perhaps but I think showing proficiency in operations should be part of the overall test such as they have in other countries. In fact as commercial operations go, we in the US have it fairly simple.

@Maureen I am going to provide you with a link to an attorney's website who specializes in 'Drone' law. On this site there is a ton of resource material including sample exams and much more, It is all free to look at and if you want more you can sign up. I would suggest maybe take a look at a different source and see if you can learn something that perhaps was missing in your other studies. Between this site and the FAA, there is everything one needs to not only pass the test but ace it. I am not affiliated in any way with them or any other training firm, just helping out. Good Luck. Rupprecht Law

Thank you I really appreciate that. I have done 4 practice tests prior to both tests as well and at this point I think I am just done. My class was the drone launch academy and they were very good and thorough. No complaints with them

Were you allowed to review the problems you did not answer correctly before you left the testing center?

What areas of knowledge did you have trouble with?

If you get your 107 cert. you may have reason to fly near an airport and you need to know proper procedure for getting clearance, knowing what traffic patterns will be in force at the time, weather, etc.

The 107 certification is a pilot license for flying remotely, but you need to know much the same material that a pilot sitting in the cockpit knows. Would you feel comfortable piloting a real plane with your knowledge level of the material you were tested on?

Yes I was able to but hard to remember all the 17 questions I got wrong. I got the fact about getting clearance, weather, towers, traffic patterns etc. but sorry I disagree drones are not allowed near any major airports that I know of let alone I do not need to know the marking or L27 or L28 on a runway that I have no business being near in the first place. That is not what a drone pilot is supposed to be doing. There is a BIG difference between a drone pilot and a cockpit pilot. First off I wouldn't be piloting a real plane I am piloting a drone big difference and poor assimilation to make! There should be a separate and standarized test for drones separate from a cockpit pilot

..... There should be a separate and standarized test for drones separate from a cockpit pilot.....

There is. It’s the Airman Knowledge Test code UAG Unmanned Aircraft General -Small.

That’s the test you took.....?

You get a results of test report after taking the test. It shows the areas/questions you messed up on. Sorry you did not pass, but that speaks more to the preparation service you paid and your understanding of the test material. I get that you are frustrated, but you simply have to learn the material better in order to pass.

. . . sorry, I disagree drones are not allowed near any major airports that I know of let alone I do not need to know the marking or L27 or L28 on a runway that I have no business being near in the first place. That is not what a drone pilot is supposed to be doing.

Actually, operations of modern UAVs near and on airport grounds are now a reality. LAANC gives 107 operators near real time, on the spot, approval to fly within controlled airspace. Now, you may not be able to fly in some areas but, where before there was a 90 day wait which; made getting approval to do a job useless, now it is possible. Where before there was a nearly 16 square mile area around a modern airport much of that airspace can now be accessed to do things like real estate photography, mapping and inspections and more. Knowing runway alignment traffic patterns and all that 'airport stuff' does indeed come into play if you're like some of us who operate in dense class B, C and D airspace.

You get a results of test report after taking the test. It shows the areas/questions you messed up on. Sorry you did not pass, but that speaks more to the preparation service you paid and your understanding of the test material. I get that you are frustrated, but you simply have to learn the material better in order to pass.

Yes I know did you read the threads before posting? The preparation by the drone launch academy was fine, it was the way the FAA twisted the questions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop