Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA Part 107 Exam

What I thought was useless, was having to know how to read the Notice to Aviators Weather blurbs. Really? I have an App and can see if it's raining outside. We don't fly city to city at 40K feet.

This first few years are the first generation and it’ll take some revisions to really nail it down. I think the FAA is approaching it as: “Even though you’re piloting a remote controlled aircraft, we want you to think like a pilot to be in tune with the mindset of pilots operating in the airspace with you.” Keeping, or trying to keep, everyone on the same wavelength.

What I thought was useless, was having to know how to read the Notice to Aviators Weather blurbs. Really? I have an App and can see if it's raining outside. We don't fly city to city at 40K feet.

While I agree a lot of the weather stuff was a bit overkill (and in fact on the re currency test there is little to no weather) I think the FAA want Remote Pics to understand those things because weather at the surface does effect us.

Edit: @Fred Garvin ya beat me to it.

Reactions: Fred Garvin

Pretty much what I told the U.S. Navy when they requested a review of a drone labor contractor’s training program. They spent two weeks of government money teaching aviation weather to a group of people that would either be told by the tower or they could see with their own eyes if it was good or not. The aircraft only had a range of 100 mules or so.

Hen asked what they really needed to know the answers were in absolutes. It was raining, or not. Too windy, or not. Dust storm, or not. Could see far enough, or not. As long as the camera worked they had ample warning of a weather change and if the camera failed they were coming home regardless of weather.

AGL and MSL
also
When landing on runway (120°), marking is TN. not magnetic.

We disagree, it’s magnetic as that is what the compass in the aircraft is close to reading when aligned with the runway centerline. Neither the compass or the FAA offsets for declination with runway headings.

It was like how the FCC was still requiring morse code tests for certain ham radio licenses even after Morse Code was officially abandoned for marine use (last ones using it). Still handy for a VOR identifier I guess.

lol
flying180° or 360° all you have to do is look left or right and you have the Atlantic and the Gulf, hard to get lost.

Like original transcontinental pilots going to New York from LA. Fly until you get to the ocean, turn left and fly until you bump into NYC!!

We disagree, it’s magnetic as that is what the compass in the aircraft is close to reading when aligned with the runway centerline. Neither the compass or the FAA offsets for declination with runway headings.
Yea, my bad I made the correction when Mr. Picky corrected me!?

Most confusing for me was, to and from VOR'S.[emoji848]

All radials are broadcast “outbound” from a VOR. If your tracking a VOR from due south to due north you would track the 360* radial for the inbound course if you wanted to have a “To” flag. If flying a “back course” it would be the 180* radial with a “From” flag.

Back then it took me a while to get that sunk into my........... brain????
So I purchased a hand held V.O.R. Navigation Aid.

A.D.F Navigation
R.B + M.H = M.B to the station
When R.B + M.H is greater than 360° Subtract 360° to find M.B

Okay, all you "Full Scale" pilots doin all yeur high felutin 'manned' airplane gibberish - gotta remember - this here is a "Remote" pilot forum -

WE ARE 'MOTIES' ?

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
Okay, all you "Full Scale" pilots doin all yeur high felutin 'manned' airplane gibberish - gotta remember - this here is a "Remote" pilot forum -

WE ARE 'MOTIES' [emoji1787]

There’s some relevance in all the previous chatter that relates to the compass in our flight controllers. They don’t care about declination either as they sense magnetic north, not true north. Those that take calibration seriously only need to break out a hand held compass, find north, and start the compass cal with the front of the MR facing north as shown on the hand held compass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss