Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Failed firmware upgrade - failed to initialize camera

Reaction score
Dear fellow Yuneec drone users,

I tried to update the firmware of my Yuneec Typhoon H. It failed. Now I can not connect to the camera. I created a copy of the previous profile under model select. Did a new bind. It gets telemetry, but I get an error, that the camera cannot be initialized. When I go into system settings, I see the camera conneted. But I get a popup "Camera firmware is too old! Please upgrade it first.". When I go in the "About Controller" settings, I get Autopilot version: N/A, Gimbal Version: N/A, Camera Version: Vnull, RealSense Version: N/A. I tried to extract the camera firmware from the official files, but there are four files after extracting the TyphoonH_Ver3.04_E.bin and files.zzz : cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_E_firmware_30234.bin, CGO3PLUS_V1.25_2016_9_13, TyphoonH_FC_V1.35_3_3_2017.yuneec and TyphoonH_Flow_V1.04_3_25_2016.yuneec. Is there a way to force the instillation to the parts? I can not do the OTA upgrade as I get "Upgrade failed, aircraft type cant be recieved" when I click update.

Thank you for your help!

I tried to extract the camera firmware from the official files, but there are four files after extracting the TyphoonH_Ver3.04_E.bin and files.zzz : cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_E_firmware_30234.bin, CGO3PLUS_V1.25_2016_9_13, TyphoonH_FC_V1.35_3_3_2017.yuneec and TyphoonH_Flow_V1.04_3_25_2016.yuneec. Is there a way to force the instillation to the parts?

@kulihrasek,
This response borrows from thoughts inspired by @Gadget and @AeroJ (See "CGO3+ Firmware update without useing a Typhoon")
I just used this version to upgrade a US version CGo3+ to EU version 3.2.34. The sequence I saw seemed a little different than described by AeroJ, but it did work. The sequence and method described below is not well proven. Also, I ran this method on a SteadyGrip instead of the drone. I do not yet know if it will work when powered by the drone (I will post the results after I try it on a Typhoon H). I would suggest using the normal method described on page 22 of the manual again at least once before using this method:

1.) Format an SD card.
2.) Rename "cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_E_firmware_30234.bin" to "firmware.bin"
3.) Copy "firmware.Bin" to the SD Card.
4.) Put the SD card in the camera.
5.) Turn on the camera.

The update will start. It may flash red for a while, then go dark. Let it stay dark for a couple of minutes, then turn the camera off and back on. Allow at least 5 additional minutes for the update to complete, even if the camera looks normal with the green light flashing.

6.) Turn camera off.
7.) Remove SD card.
8.) Turn Camera back on.
9.) Bind the camera to the drone.

NOTE for other members:
@kulihrasek already had the file "cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_E_firmware_30234.bin", so the instructions start at that point. More guidance will be provided later to explain where and how to obtain the file if you don't have it.

Last edited:
@kulihrasek,
This response borrows from thoughts inspired by @Gadget and @AeroJ (See "CGO3+ Firmware update without useing a Typhoon")
I just used this version to upgrade a US version CGo3+ to EU version 3.2.34. The sequence I saw seemed a little different than described by AeroJ, but it did work. The sequence and method described below is not well proven. Also, I ran this method on a SteadyGrip instead of the drone. I do not yet know if it will work when powered by the drone (I will post the results after I try it on a Typhoon H). I would suggest using the normal method described on page 22 of the manual again at least once before using this method:

1.) Format an SD card.
2.) Rename "cgo3+gb_3.2.34_LC2_E_firmware_30234.bin" to "firmware.bin"
3.) Copy "firmware.Bin" to the SD Card.
4.) Put the SD card in the camera.
5.) Turn on the camera.

The update will start. It may flash red for a while, then go dark. Let it stay dark for a couple of minutes, then turn the camera off and back on. Allow at least 5 additional minutes for the update to complete, even if the camera looks normal with the green light flashing.

6.) Turn camera off.
7.) Remove SD card.
8.) Turn Camera back on.
9.) Bind the camera to the drone.

Thanks a lot!!! I will have some time to try on monday. The weather should be bad until then anyway.

I was hoping for something like this. I will let you know.

Have a nice day and thanks!

Hi Guys,
I breath a sigh as I speak because I am at my wits end. I have tried almost everything I have researched and still can't manage to get my Typhoon H working correctly.
One thing I did notice recently is the information in my ABOUT CONTROLLER section. the ST16 section only shows System Version and APK version. There is no Transmitter or Radio version information. I am assuming this is the reason why my CGO3+ camera won't bind to my Controller. Am I on the right path? I have updated my firmware quite a few times and nothing is working. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ST16.jpg
    ST16.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Hi Guys,
Am I on the right path?
We don't know. Other than you have done some firmware updates, we really do not know what issue you are dealing with.
Your screenshot looks pretty normal for a healthy ST16 that is not bound to the camera. The missing information comes through the camera WiFi, and will not show on the screen until the camera is bound. (See Screenshot of my controller below.) Your controller battery was very low when the picture was taken. Some update functions will be blocked if controller voltage is below 40%. But I think you have already completed the updates.

Information is needed to help understand the problem.
1.) What changed between the last time the system worked normally and the first time it did not? (Firmware updates, long periods of storage, crash landings, factory reset, anything else you can think of?)
2.) Is the drone powering on and initializing normally?
3.) Does the drone ID show up on the Bind Screen?
3.) is the camera powering on and initializing normally?
4.) Does the camera ID show up on the Bind Screen?
5.) If you will post pictures of your main controller screen and the binding screen with the drone and camera powered on it may help us to understand the issue.

Screenshot.jpg

Reactions: DoomMeister
What I see in your screenshot has the ST16 at the right version of firmware, but to show anything in the lower portion the aircraft and camera have to be bound to the controller.

You say the camera will not bind so there are two possibilities for that. The first is that the camera WiFi is not working. To test that use a smart phone or computer that has 5.8GHz WiFi capability and see if you can connect to the camera. Its SSID will be CGO3P_ xxxxxx where the x’s are the last 6 digits of the camera’s MAC address.

The second is the WiFi card in the ST16. Go to the Pad and call up the WiFi settings then try to connect to a known 5.8GHz WiFi source. If that succeeds then use the browser to connect to a website.

If both of those work then try creating a new model in Model Select and bind to that.

Camera tilt on the left bottom side of the controller and rabbit turtle selector on the right bottom side.Sliders_st.jpg

it beeped once but then the camera moved up and down. I cant help but think the ST16 has something missing that won't let it connect to the camera wifi. My iPhone 8 can connect to the wifi from the CGO3+ but not the ST16

Yes, probably the WiFi module in the ST16 is defective. Did you power it up without antennas? Especially this one, which looks like a mushroom.

Reactions: DoomMeister
it beeped once but then the camera moved up and down. I cant help but think the ST16 has something missing that won't let it connect to the camera wifi. My iPhone 8 can connect to the wifi from the CGO3+ but not the ST16
Can you connect to a WiFi router that has a 5.8 GHz capability (802.11a/ac) using the ST16. You go into Pad, then select Android Settings, WiFi, then select a known 5.8GHz SSID and connect to it. If the ST16 does not see known 5.8GHz SSID’s then the WiFi module is most likely bad.

Use caution here. The ST16 has both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz WiFi capability. There have been cases where the 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11b/g) worked and the 5.8GHz did not because the Mushroom or Patch antenna was left off with the ST16 powered on as @Vaklin suggested.

My iPhone 8 can connect to the wifi from the CGO3+ but not the ST16
The camera is the best 5.8 GHz access point in this case. You can just see in the Android settings menu is the SSID of the camera visible or not.

No I can't. The ST16 wifi won't turn on and it doesn't show any available SSID's in the area, including mine.

"Won't turn on" and "doesn't show any SSID" are a bit different things.

Please clarify:
1. You can't turn on the WiFi via the android settings?
or
2. Your WiFi is turned on, but you didn't see any access point nearby to you?

"Won't turn on" and "doesn't show any SSID" are a bit different things.

Please clarify:
1. You can't turn on the WiFi via the android settings?
or
2. Your WiFi is turned on, but you didn't see any access point nearby to you?
I apologize for the confusion. I can turn on wifi but when I turns it on, it says it's searching but doesn't find anything

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval