Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware Build 822 Just Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why on the H520 it is recommended to calibrate after each update?
I have an honest firmware question I hope someone has a good answer for. It’s been buggin’ me for a couple days now.

Why do people that reside and operate in one region download and use firmware that’s specifically labeled for a different region? In this instance I’m referring to an operator in Europe downloading firmware targeting Japan, and Americans doing the same.

Doing things like that might be begging the introduction of “bugs” if firmware was intended to function compatibly with regionally specific frequency and power level standards.
Well Said..

I have an honest firmware question I hope someone has a good answer for. It’s been buggin’ me for a couple days now.

Why do people that reside and operate in one region download and use firmware that’s specifically labeled for a different region? In this instance I’m referring to an operator in Europe downloading firmware targeting Japan, and Americans doing the same.

Doing things like that might be begging the introduction of “bugs” if firmware was intended to function compatibly with regionally specific frequency and power level standards.
Sorry, but when I do an update from Europe, there is no marked Japan, or other country. Besides, I never really understood this remark...

I agree with this in general, but in my case when I started the download of 822 it did not give me a choice to select a region. Once the download started I noticed it said "(Japan)". I thought it was supposed to default to your region, but in my case it did not. I had no choice. I mentioned this today in an online chat with support (getting NFZ unlock for my H+). He said they were aware of the issue and are working on it.

Reactions: SavinPeace
And why on the H520 it is recommended to calibrate after each update?

Well, maybe the 520 is different, despite the many similarities. Yuneec has never stated that any calibration other than compass is needed on the H+. We crafty owners found a way to defeat that, so now they have blocked access. I am old school and like being able to do this as a matter of course, but perhaps they are finding that people doing it incorrectly is a source of errors creeping into the system and decided to make it harder/impossible to do something they never explicitly stated was needed.

Well, maybe the 520 is different, despite the many similarities. Yuneec has never stated that any calibration other than compass is needed on the H+. We crafty owners found a way to defeat that, so now they have blocked access. I am old school and like being able to do this as a matter of course, but perhaps they are finding that people doing it incorrectly is a source of errors creeping into the system and decided to make it harder/impossible to do something they never explicitly stated was needed.
Good point. Doing a cal incorrectly can lead to serious flight issues and I'm sure Yuneec CS has seen quite a few. In over a year I have never done a gyro or accel on the +. Did them on the 520 2 years ago when I first got it and never again since. It will tell you if it needs it. And both are still running the same props shipped with them. (my opinion, my aircraft. YMMV).

We did not
But it is not clear that we were even supposed to have access to it. Nowhere in the manual (official) does it mention anything about doing these extra calibrations. It very much appears it was meant to be a factory only thing. It was only through the Internet that people became aware of it and then decided it was a "must have". I have flown mine 3 times now post 822 update. Solid as always. Go figure.

This is not correct regarding origin of knowledge about accessing calibration modes. When I received what I believe to be the first H+ in the US a Yuneec technician was assigned to me by the product marketing manager. The technician took me thru how to access and the procedures for proper calibration utilizing "the hidden" calibration modes. I only had a few days before I was going to Iceland and they wanted video and stills for them to use for promotion and advertising as I had done for the original H in iceland. I shared this information with others in this forum (Hey I wonder if I could become a Premium Pilot) that is the origin of accessing the extra calibration methods which were absolutely essential because of where I was going to be flying and the wear and tear associated with a drone being shipped over 3000 miles. Just reading thru the various posts it's pretty clear why Yuneec has decided they no longer want endusers accessing the calibration modes other than compass...

While we're on the topic of firmware updates I hope those of you who are 107 certified recognize that the FAA... requires that within reason you always fly with the most current release of software/firmware for the drone. If you're involved in an incident which is investigated by them they will check if you've complied with that regulation. (It is possible this may have changed but it was true when I took my 107 test and I've not heard that has changed nor do I see a reason why it should). Not flying with the most current firmware/software could also impact collecting on an insurance claim as well.

Reactions: PatR and 10-8
TL;DR
But ok a Yunerc Tech took you through it. Nothing in that says they want everyone to access it. Or that it is required for everyone.

Reactions: 10-8
TL;DR
But ok a Yunerc Tech took you through it. Nothing in that says they want everyone to access it. Or that it is required for everyone.
Please read what I said more carefully I was not commenting on access I was commenting on genesis of how it became known I was addressing your incorrect assertion of how it became known. "only thru the internet" does the internet convey information or is it the people who use the internet? I read so much which is so imprecise and I sometimes feel the need to foolishly try and point out the imprecision. Perhaps you will forgive me for applying the sort of precision I find important. The imprecision carries over to how people fly, calibrate and the content they produce with the marvelous ability of a skilled pilot operating a drone to immerse the viewer in what is being communicated. I will defer to the Premium Pilots and remain silent. Calm winds to all.

Reactions: RPR and JackMTaco
TL;DR

This is the same as cycling the landing gear, it is not stated in the manual, binding the H+ to the RC it does not state in the manual, RC mapping and calibration, this is not indicated in the manual. There are a lot of things that’s not included in the manual.

You’re knowledgeable with the FAA.. I can break the rules with using long range antennas. I cannot break the FAA rules that is why I am holding on to 784 for my dear life. [emoji23]

Please read what I said more carefully I was not commenting on access I was commenting on genesis of how it became known I was addressing your incorrect assertion of how it became known. "only thru the internet" does the internet convey information or is it the people who use the internet? I read so much which is so imprecise and I sometimes feel the need to foolishly try and point out the imprecision. Perhaps you will forgive me for applying the sort of precision I find important. The imprecision carries over to how people fly, calibrate and the content they produce with the marvelous ability of a skilled pilot operating a drone to immerse the viewer in what is being communicated. I will defer to the Premium Pilots and remain silent. Calm winds to all.

Do not remain silent, as your skills and knowledge have contributed to this board time and again... and your Premium Membership will be addressed shortly.

Today the weather turned for the better and I was able to take the H+ to work, but did not want to take a chance fly the H+, instead, I flew in the nearby field open field near a live wires and over the live wires.

I did two test. IMU uncalibrated and calibrated test.

Uncalibrated flight.
-First power cycle, compass calibrated the H+ flew smoothly.
-Second power cycle the H+ ascended without throttle inputs.
-Third power cycle, compass calibrated, drone hovered smoothly and normal flight regained.
-Fourth power cycle H+ showing the same flight characteristics as second power cycle.

The same exact test, with battery cycles, the H+ showed the same flight characteristics during the IMU uncalibrated test. The H+ exhibit the same characteristics in the first video.

IMU calibrated flight.

*To calibrate the IMU, it has to be in a flat zeroed out surface. Drone cold, battery cold. (Not refrigerated.... 15°c is my temp) and by following the H520 procedure.

Batteries charged, and proceeded with the exact same testing format.
Problems solved, the H+ flew at 2000ft Lat. 80ft Alt. No video interruptions.

I will run the same test tomorrow in the construction pit, and post my final field video report.

Good night everyone.

Mickeyboo,

For the benefit of all, please DO NOT remain silent. Your talent, experience, and wisdom has helped many and I hope you will continue to do so.

Regarding the FAA’s “current firmware” status; the FAA also requires a pilot to assure an aircraft is safe for flight. If current firmware has been established as being unsafe for flight they cannot legally make use of it. Catch 22 but the PIC is solely responsible for the safe outcome of a flight. There’s room to argue that retaining “safe” firmware until later firmware has been corrected and proven safe is a justified action.

Why do people that reside and operate in one region download and use firmware that’s specifically labeled for a different region?
I'm aware of only two versions of firmware. The China/US version and the UK/EU version, the only difference being the camera. Perhaps there are others, but I've not seen them mentioned. Perhaps someone has better information.
Regardless, you should be using the firmware which is available in your location. If you are using a VPN service then you may get a different location.

Reactions: Frontier
This is the same as cycling the landing gear, it is not stated in the manual, binding the H+ to the RC it does not state in the manual, RC mapping and calibration, this is not indicated in the manual. There are a lot of things that’s not included in the manual. [emoji23]

This is very true as Yuneec manuals typically contain less than 50% of the information operators should have, and what is published employs incorrect terminology and poorly translated grammar.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Steve,

I saw Japan firmware mentioned several times early in this thread, which is why I inquired.

I'm aware of only two versions of firmware. The China/US version and the UK/EU version, the only difference being the camera. Perhaps there are others, but I've not seen them mentioned. Perhaps someone has better information.
Regardless, you should be using the firmware which is available in your location. If you are using a VPN service then you may get a different location.

I don't use a VPN so it beats me why I saw this Japan thing. Apparently Yuneec knows about it. Does not seem to be an issue. I'll wait for the all new updated Build 822 v2 and I'll see what region it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold