Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware Update Video - For updates at end Oct & later

Reaction score
Back in September of this year I posted a "How To" video on updating the Firmware in the Typhoon H.

When Yuneec added the Over The Air (OTA) feature to the Typhoon H firmware update, they changed how the update was done. You now update the ST16 first in order to load the instructions for OTA.

If you follow my old video of September 2016 you'd be updating the Typhoon H first and then the ST16. You can still do this and the update will go smoothly, but to avoid confusing, I've created a new video showing the more current process.

NOTE: Yuneec has also added one extra step in which the data within the FLIGHTMODE App is deleted. This is essentially a way of ensure that the firmware update is starting from a clean slate by deleting all the previous flight settings on the ST16. It is not a necessary step, but it ensures that an old problem is not brought forward into the new firmware update so it's definitely good practice to do it.

I've done the quickest video edit known to man. I've taken my old video from September and just moved items around to match how Yuneec now updates the Typhoon H. I borrowed a portion of the video from Yuneec and spliced it in.

PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT include the OTA portion as that is again not a necessary step but rather a preference on the part of the person performing the update. Since this can potentially cause firmware update errors to occur, I left it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video , wish I would have seen this before I tried the update using the OTA method and BINDING the H. Having trouble opening the GUI program ,when I figure that out and unbind the H I will do it the way you are showing us
THANKS

Thanks for the video , wish I would have seen this before I tried the update using the OTA method and BINDING the H. Having trouble opening the GUI program ,when I figure that out and unbind the H I will do it the way you are showing us
THANKS

Thanks. I do find there are plenty of steps to updating the Typhoon H compared to some other drones on the market. The more steps added into the process, the more possibilities for a glitch to occur for whatever reason so I avoid the OTA.

DJI now does firmware updates for many of their drones via 100% OTA just by one click in the DJI GO app (it updates the drone, controller and batteries), but if anything goes wrong in the process (i.e., loss of communication/loss of power), you're kinda toast.

Reactions: QuadBart
Back in September of this year I posted a "How To" video on updating the Firmware in the Typhoon H.

When Yuneec added the Over The Air (OTA) feature to the Typhoon H firmware update, they changed how the update was done. You now update the ST16 first in order to load the instructions for OTA.

If you follow my old video of September 2016 you'd be updating the Typhoon H first and then the ST16. You can still do this and the update will go smoothly, but to avoid confusing, I've created a new video showing the more current process.

NOTE: Yuneec has also added one extra step in which the data within the FLIGHTMODE App is deleted. This is essentially a way of ensure that the firmware update is starting from a clean slate by deleting all the previous flight settings on the ST16. It is not a necessary step, but it ensures that an old problem is not brought forward into the new firmware update so it's definitely good practice to do it.

I've done the quickest video edit known to man. I've taken my old video from September and just moved items around to match how Yuneec now updates the Typhoon H. I borrowed a portion of the video from Yuneec and spliced it in.

PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT include the OTA portion as that is again not a necessary step but rather a preference on the part of the person performing the update. Since this can potentially cause firmware update errors to occur, I left it out.

Salute you Flight Commander. Upgrade all good. Had you on the screen. Platforms ST 16/ Typhoon H/ all
wi fi within range turned off. Used mobile dongle to download firmware on sd cards, so no corruption.
Followed your tutorial to the letter, pressing pause when needed. Results are everything. Now can Aviate, Navigate, Capture Data, until the next upgrade. Thank You.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
Help, I downloaded the two files from the website and put them on my desktop. I sent the unzipped files to my F drive where the SD card is. I did not unzip the files before putting the card into the ST16. Upon trying to update it says file not found. So,,,,I unzipped the files on my desktop, reinstalled on the SD card and tried again. Same results, file not found. I'm not very good at this computer stuff and was just following the video. Now what? I think the SD card was blank when I started, I couldn't find any files on it but I don't know how to reformat it to make sure.

Buy the way, I currently have Ver 3.01b23 in the ST16. Is this the latest version? Maybe that's why it says it can't find a newer version. The download says it's Ver3.01a.

Help, I downloaded the two files from the website and put them on my desktop. I sent the unzipped files to my F drive where the SD card is. I did not unzip the files before putting the card into the ST16. Upon trying to update it says file not found. So,,,,I unzipped the files on my desktop, reinstalled on the SD card and tried again. Same results, file not found. I'm not very good at this computer stuff and was just following the video. Now what? I think the SD card was blank when I started, I couldn't find any files on it but I don't know how to reformat it to make sure.
Quick response as I'm on the road.. Suggest downloading files using Google Chrome, then place in root directory of a 32gig or less Micro SD card. Place one file on card per update.

May I ask why a caption says to ensure to remove the camera gimble? Thanks.Screenshot_20161125-202503.png

Quick response as I'm on the road.. Suggest downloading files using Google Chrome, then place in root directory of a 32gig or less Micro SD card. Place one file on card per update.
Root directory??? Why can't they make this stuff easy, I'm not a computer wiz. Where can I take this thing and get it updated? Thanks for the reply.

Root directory??? Why can't they make this stuff easy, I'm not a computer wiz. Where can I take this thing and get it updated? Thanks for the reply.
Larry, it just means to place the file for the st-16 on to the sd card, but not in any folder. Have nothing else on the card. If you lived next door I'd gladly do it for you. Cheers, Chris.

Thanks Chris, I'll try it again. How do I download the file without placing it in a folder ? Then Should I unzip the downloaded file first or just send it to the SD as is?

Thanks Chris, I'll try it again. How do I download the file without placing it in a folder ? Then Should I unzip the downloaded file first or just send it to the SD as is?
Just copy the file that you downloaded to your computer to the sd card. It will have a suffix *.Yuneec for the st-16 update. Stick that on the card and then put the card in the st-16... No unzipping required. Ps... It doesn't matter that it is in a folder on your computer. Just do not put it in a folder on the sd card.

May I ask why a caption says to ensure to remove the camera gimble? Thanks.View attachment 4205
I had a few people point that out in my first and second video on the topic that I left it on in the clip and didn't indicate to take it off. I know, it should go without mentioning to those who have been using the H for awhile. But if someone was brand new to the H and doing 100% exactly what I was showing in the video, they may leave the camera gimbal cover on (as it's on in the clip to hold the camera steady to insert the micro SD Card) and I don't show it being taken off.

Of course, as luck would have it, in my hast to post the video I left out the word "cover". Hopefully I didn't create more confusion.

Reactions: Christoph
I had a few people point that out in my first and second video on the topic that I left it on in the clip and didn't indicate to take it off. I know, it should go without mentioning to those who have been using the H for awhile. But if someone was brand new to the H and doing 100% exactly what I was showing in the video, they may leave the camera gimbal cover on (as it's on in the clip to hold the camera steady to insert the micro SD Card) and I don't show it being taken off.

Of course, as luck would have it, in my hast to post the video I left out the word "cover". Hopefully I didn't create more confusion.
Phew. Thought I may have missed something. Thanks for clearing that one up for me... Cheers.Chris.

I started over by deleting the file on my desktop. Then I downloaded the ST16 update, put it in a folder on my desktop. I erased the SD card, transferred the file for the ST16 to the card and tried again. It still can't find the file.

I started over by deleting the file on my desktop. Then I downloaded the ST16 update, put it in a folder on my desktop. I erased the SD card, transferred the file for the ST16 to the card and tried again. It still can't find the file.

Have you formatted the card before downloading the file to it? They can become corrupt fairly easy sometimes. If you put it in your pc and then right click on that drive, one of the options should be Format. Worth a try, and I totally understand your frustration. My 18 hour old iphone 7 is about to go skipping into the street due to frustration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval