Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Flight Impressions of the Plus

Flight Two, July 5th, 8:05 PM eastern

It was going to be getting dark this evening and I couldn't leave a fully charged battery overnight so; this time, a little more exploration was in order for the second flight. The first thing I noticed was; how fast the aircraft acquires satellites, in this same location my 480 takes, at times; a minute or two get most of its satellite count. On this flight I turned on the controller, waited maybe 10 seconds and turned on the aircraft and, as I walked over to a spot to fly from I looked down (maybe 10 seconds later) the aircraft had 14 satellites already! Total count for the controller and aircraft are about the same as the 480 and the controller takes about the same amount of time as the standard ST16 but; the aircraft just soaks the satellites up very fast. I'll let those that understand this better than me explain why but, I am guessing it is a better GPS?

Also, at close quarters to the aircraft, its sense of direction in terms of the controller location is better than the 480 and it's compass and heading indicator in the upper left are very accurate as well.

During this second flight, I also explored Sport Mode as well as Angle Mode. Not to put to fine a point on it but if I were asked to give one word to describe the Plus's flight characteristics, it would simply be "Refined" - it is; (so far/knocks on wood) a refined version of the 480. In car terms, the 480 is a muscle car from the 60's - brute power, marginal handling with not too many creature comforts on the inside. The Plus on the other hand is the 2018 version of that 60's muscle car - it just does everything a little better than the predecessor.

To me, Sport mode is the equivalent of the modern muscle car with all driving aids off! But still the Plus has a manner about it that I like. In sport mode, with the rate slider at "Slow" it is about as close to flying like the 480 (in its current state) as you can get - but still, with smooth control around center and, its very manageable. Sport mode with rate slider at "Fast" well, that just feels like you have a very well mannered - top fuel dragster.

Overall I am becoming very impressed with the flying of the H Plus so far - it seems to be a pilots machine, it does what you tell it, much better than the 480 in my opinion. And from a camera operator's perspective, this should translate very positively, and we haven't even started talking about the camera.

To satisfy my curiosity, what are the additional features/functionality that you want to investigate before seeing the woods recede behind you? :)

At least one or 2 solid FW updates, addressing initial concerns already noted... adding cruise control back in, tweaking the lens correction profiles, re-enabling the turning off of GPS... maybe even listen to customer requests (for example) of a cost free upgrade, like assigning the AUX button for GPS control, since its been unused for 2 years now... o_O

Last edited:
@Barton - Its not features or functionality beyond where its at so far that I am looking for, but rather; can we bring this system into our environment and count on it with at least as much assurance as we do the 480? I am less worried about the loss of the aircraft than I am the loss of work, or worse, having something happen that causes a mishap. This is an untried and untested system and experience has shown that at this point - we end users are the ones that will find the failure point. So the word of the day is caution. ;)

Reactions: DCH and rdonson
I haven't really gotten into the camera operation yet but hopefully there will be some improvements that allow a little more user adjust-ability.

I will continue to follow the story of the H+. I’m guessing that a couple of firmware updates and/or 6 months of real world experiences will determine the true character of the H+.

I like my H480 but I tire of feeling on edge looking for a flyaway, compass error, oxidized pots on the sticks, mixed channels or the other various anomalies I’ve witnessed.

If the H+ turns out to be a highly reliable, trouble free platform then I’m in for sure.

Until the jury is in my sights are on a portable, quick to fly drone like the Autel EVO. I’m just a hobbyist and the EVO is appealing for travel. Yes, I know the EVO has some issues that need to be addressed so I’m not plunking down any $$ on that until it proves its usability and reliability.

Autel still hasn’t fixed their tilted horizon problem originating with the X-Star. Some are experiencing it with the Evo. If you’re one that uses OA bear in mind the rear facing sensors do not activate OA and serve more as warning devices by triggering a beep for the operator to respond to with an appropriate control action. Take a look at the Anafi instead if you can tolerate using a cell phone for a view screen.

I will continue to follow the story of the H+. I’m guessing that a couple of firmware updates and/or 6 months of real world experiences will determine the true character of the H+.

I like my H480 but I tire of feeling on edge looking for a flyaway, compass error, oxidized pots on the sticks, mixed channels or the other various anomalies I’ve witnessed.

Like you I stood back while the 480 got off to a rocky start and jumped in about six months after release. Looking back I think it was a good move - for me at that time. I've got hundreds of flights on the 480 with very few problems. When the 520 came out, it just didn't ever get up to speed so to speak in my opinion. The Plus in my estimation, at this stage, is a bit of a gamble and getting it was a calculated risk that I am feeling a little better about. But that feeling of the unknown is always going to be there.

If something happens I'll just blame Jeff @NorWiscPilot for goating me into jumping in too early:D;) Headed to the field now. . . .

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Autel still hasn’t fixed their tilted horizon problem originating with the X-Star. Some are experiencing it with the Evo. If you’re one that uses OA bear in mind the rear facing sensors do not activate OA and serve more as warning devices by triggering a beep for the operator to respond to with an appropriate control action. Take a look at the Anafi instead if you can tolerate using a cell phone for a view screen.

I understand completely, Pat. I’ve watched Richard Gilmore’s videos, Jeff Sibelius and others. Time will tell if Autel makes good on the promise of the EVO. In the meantime I keep,watching and reading. Oh yeah, I’m watching the Anafi as well. I’m even going to see what DJI announces in a couple weeks though I’m not a DJI fan.

Friday July 6th
Flights Three & Four

Okay, two full flights this afternoon and again focused mainly on the flying aspects. But first a few things of note. When turning on the aircraft you no longer need to push and hold - just hit it the power button and it will turn on. Found out when moving and accidentally touched the button. I think as the gimbal sits beneath the aircraft in the box it is not nestled by the foam like on my 480. The little dampeners are getting a little elongated but seem to be working fine. Also they seem to be gel-filled and more elastic.

SPORT MODE

So today I was able to get out and explore more of the flight envelope, especially in Sport Mode. Yuneec has done a fairly good job of creating an expo curve inside the software that blends enough finesse around center to the full blown power you get at about 60% of stick throw in Sport Mode with rate slider at fast. However, this mode is aptly named and I suspect some may find it a bit much to handle smoothly. It truly is like dragster in that the trick is to apply the power precisely if you want to accelerate cleanly without dropping the forward booms into frame. And at full speed their going to be in frame if your filming forward.

I do not have exact numbers so everything I say is a guess but, I think the plus (with GPS on) is as fast or faster than the 480 with GPS off! The road beside where I fly is a state highway where the traffic normally runs 45 to 50 MPH. With the camera turned to the side on one run of about 500 feet I kept the cars in frame for almost the entire length though they were moving a little faster than the Plus. I only did two runs as this has to be a high draw on the battery and decided that was good for now.

Along with the seemingly high pitch angle for acceleration there is a resultant high angle for braking. All I can say is it looks violent if you do not control the stick movement; not only through the acceleration but also the deceleration. Slamming the stick forward and then just releasing could have bad consequences. So I would say operating in Sport Mode will take some practice to perfect but man is it a beast. As I mentioned yesterday, Sport Mode with the rate slider at turtle is a good medium ground all around mode and of course you can bring the slider to any point in between.

ANGLE MODE

So following on to the first flight impressions, this mode is great if you are close in or down and dirt near objects. I have not tested the IPS initiating when GPS is lost but I would swear that if I could turn off GPS I could fly this thing in a house through doors and down hallways in Angle Mode - Slow Rate; you have that kind of control. Once outdoors it seems apparent that Angle Mode - High Rate is a good all around flight mode

The one thing I noticed also when out flying is that I like the balance between the rates of right and left sticks. The 480 when I first got it, the rudder felt sluggish in comparison but the Plus does not have that problem.

CAMERA

Its a little early to report anything other than first impressions from today's video which was shot on an overcast stormy day with a few rays of sunlight. I shot all auto as I don't have any filters and I just let it do its thing. The Dynamic range compared to the 480, well; the Plus is in a different league altogether. The Gorgeous settings is over sharp and over saturated on both video and photos. There is a bit of pin cushion effect but I knew that going in and if needed this can be corrected in post.

Physically the camera feels like a solid unit, the arms of the gimbal are beautifully cast aluminum and it does weigh three of four ounces more than the CG03+ Of course it has the transmitter antenna at its base.

GOING FORWARD

I generally like to get 10 or 20 flights under my belt before I turn my attention towards the camera mission, but the Plus so far has not had a hiccup of any kind and the confidence level is coming up. I still don't want to fly near people and I won't take it to work just yet unless we get a house that sits by itself. There is no reason to suspect any problems but I am in no hurry. So with only four flights I have just under an hour of flight time and I will be doing some more flights soon. Hopefully this weekend I will get to try the task modes and see about all of that.

SnapShot.jpg

@Ty Pilot how are the landing characteristics? Is it easy to set down smoothly without any bounce?

Is the GPS satellite counts on the H+ and the ST16s about like the H and ST16? You've mentioned that they are acquired much quicker on the H+.

@rdonson Good questions, thanks for bringing them up.

Landing is very straight forward, the aircraft has had no tendency to bounce whatsoever. One thing I have noticed is; the Plus is SO planted at the end of a run or decent. For example; with the 480 if your at a high altitude and just give full down command, it descends to the point where it reduces the decent speed and if you continue down to say five feet - then release the sticks, the 480 will do a little altitude rebounding up or down before it settles. My normal procedure with the 480 is to get it to the ground, wait for it to finish this 'rebounding' then proceed to land.

The Plus on the other hand, when I stop - it stops. I did one landing today in which I just flew it right in almost like you would land a helicopter. It has nice manners around ground level and is very predictable.

Satellites count is roughly the same as with 480 - I normally see 16 to 18 on the aircraft and 7 to 10 on the controller and I am running right about there with the Plus. Also, the icons on the top right of the screen for Battery and Satellites has the colors - Red, Yellow and Green. Now at first I thought that was maybe a little distracting of what the actual number is but it does allow a quick glance across your screen and see if everything is green.

Reactions: Barton and rdonson
Pat,

Your description of flight mode performance accurately described how the 920 handles in Angle and with GPS turned off. It also described the same effects of acceleration and braking when using abrupt stick commands. It sounds like they’ve created a true “pilot’s” machine[emoji106], limited only by the ability of the pilot. I like that in an aircraft.

It is indeed what I would call a pilot's machine. And I find the blend from Angle, Slow-Rate all the way up to Sport - Fast, to be about as good as one could ask for. I think many are gonna find there is a sweet spot in there for any given style of flyer.

Reactions: Graham and Barton

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold