Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flights of my H480..

Reaction score
First flights of my H480 today. Very impressive- blew me away. I'm 55, and never had any remote control AC's- this was worth waiting for. I have a few questions..

1. The landing gear would not go up on the first flight. I double-checked to I was in Angle mode, and Obstacle Avoidance was off. I could see that it was trying to go up, but stopped and came back down- it maybe moved 1/2". I did this several times and noticed the same thing. After I flew it around a few minutes, I tried it again and it came up. I have 2 other batteries, and the gear worked fine since- anything I can check?

2. I had the CGO3+ set to the 3rd down resolution setting- what can I expect from a 128 GB card if I put it on full res? I've already done it- just wondering. My PC's are all i7's...

3. I live in the Tampa area and there seems to be a full-blown moratorium on the restriction of drones. I bought it to video some of the beauty of the coast, but airspace isn't the problem- it's the various city ordinances. NO parks- no matter how remote, allow drone flying, the beach is restricted. I've been a general aviation pilot for over 30 years, got my Part 107- I'm not trying to break any laws. Any tips on how to approach the various governments on flying?

Just a comment too- this thing is amazingly rock-steady in winds- it's amazing!

Thanks!

B.

How high was the H when you tried to raise the gear? I believe you must be at least 10'.

Have you thought about going North or east maybe between Tampa and Sarasota. There are the new flight restricted minimums, looks like it has taken up a bit more of the airspace. Every once in a while I head out to Bradenton, PM me if you would like to get together. I too am a former general aviation pilot.:cool:

Attachments

• FAA Map Tampa Area.png
    FAA Map Tampa Area.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
After sitting in the box on a shelf these gear can get a little set to them that make the first retraction difficult. Try this; remove the gimbal, power up the St 16 then the H as normal. Flip the aircraft upside down and then try to retract the gear - they should work. If so repeat a few times and you should be fine.

That 128gig card will capture a few hours of 4k video. The downsides of a 128g card is they make it hard to find a particular video in all the clutter and if you don’t transfer them to a back up device you can lose a lot of videos if something goes wrong.

Hot tip #1: always leave the last file on the card, be it video or still photo, if you want sequential file numbering. A blank card will always start the number sequencing at YUN0001. Leaving the last file on it keeps the sequencing going.

Hot tip #2: video files will most always max out at 5 minutes and start a new file if the video was running longer than 5 minutes. They stitch together seamlessly in a video editor. It’s another good reason to maintain file sequencing[emoji6]

Hot tip #3: Always stop the video before shutting down the H. Failure to stop a video before cutting aircraft power corrupts the video file. Recovering a corrupt file is an iffy proposition.

Last edited:
Hot tip #3: Always stop the video before shutting down the H. Failure to stop a video before cutting aircraft power corrupts the video file. Recovering a corrupt file is an iffy proposition.
Yes. I would add that the standard method of recovering a file from a recording that hasn't been stopped before switching off the aircraft...namely powering up the aircraft with the sd card in the camera and start/stopping the recording works most of the time but isn't guaranteed to work EVERY time. If you power off the aircraft before stopping the video be prepared for a possibility that you won't be able to recover it.

End Of Flight check list, anyone?

Battery voltage under load at end of flight.

Battery voltage post landing, props stopped.

Stop video.

Shut down aircraft.

Shut down ST-16.

Log flight time and location of flight.

Remove battery.

Check props for damage.

Check condition of landing gear.

Check gimbal dampers.

Install gimbal lock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads