Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First initial Flight

Reaction score
This was my first initial flight with the Typhoon H, I received the drone on Friday but could not fly due to weather. I powered up the controlled, powered up the drone, calibrated the compass, installed blades. Powered the motors up and let it sit for 5 -10 seconds. I doubled check the ST16 that I had 12 satellites and is was in ready mode. I gave it a little throttle and the Typhoon lifted up and hovered for 10-15 seconds 3-4 foot off the ground and then it went crazy. The drone went right at full throttle, it never responded to and input from the ST16. I switched to from Smart mode to Home but that never affected it. I will contact Yuneec on Monday and hope they will make good on this. What would cause this to happen?

Attachments

• IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
If you took off while in Smart mode, then you need to at least 8metres away from the typhoon. If you are closer it will try and get away from you to the safe distance, which is what this sounds like it has done. Always best to use Angle for flying.

You mentioned you calibrated the Compass but did you calibrate the accelerometer?

Well, Yuneec should be able to tell from the flight logs. If it wasn't for the fact that you said you were 100' away, I would have agreed with ctimblin.

You do not need to be more than 5 good long steps away from the H at take off.
When the H is on the ground it is in an area of interference with reflection from the ground.
You may find that being such a long way from the H at take off contributed.
Have you watched the video they have just released for new owners?

I have nothing to offer of a constructive nature. Call Yuneec and let them handle your problem.
Good luck.:)

You could share the telemetry data and we could have a look at it. :rolleyes:

The H records a lot of information from both the aircraft and the ground station

I hope I did the flight log upload correct.

Yes you uploaded the files just right.

I just took a look at the information, and I believe I know what happened, but before I go ahead I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you recall how many sattelites did your ST16 showed on the upper right corner? and,
  2. Were you standing at a covered location (such as a garage, or indoors) that could affect GPS accuracy on the ST-16 (not the aircraft gps but the remote gps)

Well, a little disclaimer, I'm not an expert, this is just an amateur interpretation of the telemetry data but perhaps you will find it helpful.

The reason I asked you those questions before is because as you know the Smart functions "Follow me" and "Watch me" the Typhoon H are based on GPS.

-- Sumarized version of what telemetry shows:
  • You took off on Smart Mode (apparently outside of the Smart Circle), then Typhoon H entered Follow Me mode but for some reason the GPS of the remote doesn't show a fixed position, rather it shows as if the remote moved into a residence; the aircraft followed that trajectory and crashed. Just 12 seconds after Take off telemetry data is lost.

-- More detailed version of what telemetry shows (or what I could made from it):

It seems that you were in an open area, but pretty close to a house (this should't be a problem, just an observation as it leaves less room for reaction in case something goes wrong).

Chronology:

14h:16m:20s - Motors start
14h:16m:51s - Take-off, very soon on the next seconds the unit start flying by itself.
14h:16m:58s - Pulled the throttle all the way down attemptyng to land and switched to Home mode
14h:17m:00s - Attempted to shut off the motors, it seems button was released before they shut off.
14h:17m:01s - The unit shows a compass calibration warning (crash?)
14h:17m:03s - Telemetry stops.

The data from the unit shows nothing really wrong happening, up until the moment it shows the calibration warning. I don't know if at that moment the unit had crashed or if the collision happened at the moment telemetry is lost. The commands also show no unusual stick movements, the take-off, attempt to land, switch from Smart to Home mode are all logged.

However, from the remote GPS information recorded it would seem as if the ST16 was located indoors during take-off, and even worse it shows as if it had moved pretty fast further inside the residence. The logged trajectory of the H matches pretty close the recorded trajectory of the ST-16. Note: I'm not saying that you were indoors and later ran inside your house, I'm just stating that is the location that was logged, perhaps demonstrating that the ST16 has a faulty GPS sensor or didn't have an accurate lock causing the H to follow a "ghost"

The largest jump of the ST16 recorded location happened from 16m:55s to 16m57s, it seems as it had moved 30 feet in 2 seconds. (around 10mph) further into the house!

Anyway, I hope you don't mind I attached the next image but its important to visualize the paths:
  • Yellow path shows the recorded GPS location of the ST16 from the moment of take-off until telemetry stops
  • Red path shows the GPS from the H itself
  • Blue triangle is take-off location.
  • 16m:50s logged location of ST16 1 second before take-off

Untitled_1.jpg

I know it can be frustrating to have a malfunction damage your new unit, something very similar happened to me a few days after I received my H, however it seems yours took a much harder hit.

Anyway, I hope this helps you understand what happened, good luck!

Greetings

Reactions: rebelronc
@JulesTEO:

That's a pretty comprehensive and plausible analysis, thanks for that!

As i always try to learn something from issues that others report here, i think it is interesting to note that in case of the assumed scenario of a faulty GPS signal on the ST16 - in contrast to a lot oft other control problems - switching to RTH does not help at all because the Typhoon wil fly to the (faulty) position of the remote control. In a case like this only angle mode might save the day.

Which assures me in my decision to stay clear from any automated flightmodes for my first flights and just try to learn to fly the thing at a very open area.

Reactions: JulesTEO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro