Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First real scare flying today! Glad I researched!

Reaction score
Flying today got hit with a few decent wind gusts around 20-25 mph that made controlling the H a little difficult, so I decided to bring her in. Upon landing, which was not completely level, I heard the props pitch change and released the left stick, and the H tried to leap back in to the air and almost tipped over. I again tried to land using left stick but it tried the same thing so when I was just about on the ground I held start/stop to kill motors and ended up with a safe landing. If it hadn’t been for my reading here I would have probably panicked and damaged the H. I suppose my other option would have been to hand catch that would have been my next move.

Flying today got hit with a few decent wind gusts around 20-25 mph that made controlling the H a little difficult, so I decided to bring her in. Upon landing, which was not completely level, I heard the props pitch change and released the left stick, and the H tried to leap back in to the air and almost tipped over. I again tried to land using left stick but it tried the same thing so when I was just about on the ground I held start/stop to kill motors and ended up with a safe landing. If it hadn’t been for my reading here I would have probably panicked and damaged the H. I suppose my other option would have been to hand catch that would have been my next move.

Come to find out around here knowledge is a very powerful tool that is shared very generously by everyone.

You should not let up on the left stick until the h motors slow when landing .

If you release the stick while the h is close to the ground the fc may indeed cause a crash since its job is to keep it stable in the wind ..

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Ditto to Gurusonwheels...

Next time, instead of letting go of the left stick, give her some power and get your H back in the air. It's called a go around, whether actually still technically hovering, or on the ground but not stable or shutting down. Then, being prepared, you can use the kill switch techique.

As Guru said, just releasing doesn't tell the H you want to get back in the air. Instead you are hoping the H does it for you. Giving it power puts YOU back in control for another go.

Hope this helps, and glad things worked out this time.

Jeff

P.S. Thanks for posting and confirming that "knowledge is power; can save your bacon once in awhile." Keep reading!!!

Reactions: trailrunnerx
Ditto to Gurusonwheels...

Next time, instead of letting go of the left stick, give her some power and get your H back in the air. It's called a go around, whether actually still technically hovering, or on the ground but not stable or shutting down. Then, being prepared, you can use the kill switch techique.

As Guru said, just releasing doesn't tell the H you want to get back in the air. Instead you are hoping the H does it for you. Giving it power puts YOU back in control for another go.

Hope this helps, and glad things worked out this time.

Jeff

P.S. Thanks for posting and confirming that "knowledge is power; can save your bacon once in awhile." Keep reading!!!
I had never had a problem once I heard the "pitch change" with the H trying to get back aloft, it did take me by surprise. I think that is great advice to push the stick up to get positive altitude and negate a collision with the ground. In the spot I was landing, I had to bring the H in between some trees and there was a canopy overhead, so that method would have also possibly introduced that risk, but holding the stop start to kill the motors upon 1st encounter with the ground in this case was effective in preventing a tip over, which was my biggest fear after the landing behavior I observed on my 2 initial landing attempts!

I had never had a problem once I heard the "pitch change" with the H trying to get back aloft, it did take me by surprise. I think that is great advice to push the stick up to get positive altitude and negate a collision with the ground. In the spot I was landing, I had to bring the H in between some trees and there was a canopy overhead, so that method would have also possibly introduced that risk, but holding the stop start to kill the motors upon 1st encounter with the ground in this case was effective in preventing a tip over, which was my biggest fear after the landing behavior I observed on my 2 initial landing attempts!

This begs for practice, practice, practice, in an open area so your expectation, and thus confidence can grow in controlling just how high your “abort” needs to go to regain full control.

Besides, doing touch and goes is part of the fun, gaining experience as well as proficiency. Give yourself some drills to master important skills. Another excuse to fly.

“See ya later dear... I have to do some drills.” May not sound like fun to our significant others, but they don’t have to know everything, do they?

[emoji56]

Jeff

Reactions: trailrunnerx
:)Thanks for the feedback, this is a great forum and the 480 is a great platform, I need to get better at all aspects of flying her, I actually do have a very supportive SO, that think the H is "really neat"

:)Thanks for the feedback, this is a great forum and the 480 is a great platform, I need to get better at all aspects of flying her, I actually do have a very supportive SO, that think the H is "really neat"
Considering the wind you were dealing with I believe you chose the proper method of landing. The "Big Red" method of landing is just another tool in the box that allows you to make a controlled and damage free landing. Conditions often dictate what method is going to work the best. Practicing this method is just as important as practicing stick landings. Then it becomes a comfortable choice when you need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20