Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

"first use need to connect network"? message

Reaction score
I wanted to open a telemetry log from the Flight Log Parser screen and got the message. "First use need to connect network." What network does this refer to? The St16 is connected to my home wireless network already. This is the first time I've tried to look at a telemetry file, but I've been flying the H since last March. I did a factory reset last fall after numerous attempts to correct the operation of the right controller stick. Is there something I still need to do after a reset that I'm missing? I did the reset after Thanksgiving and basically put the drone up for the winter afterwards.

Now I've come across more information to the effect that the pots should have been cleaned with electrical contact cleaner before initiating the reset. I'm steeling myself to do the whole thing again, after cleaning the controllers and with the help of an engineering friend who lives and breathes that kind of thing.

After (if) I do another reset, what exactly needs to be refreshed or re-entered on the ST16? Is it now a blank slate? I have all the files backed up on a thumb drive. I'm just somewhat stymied what if anything I do next, do I need to put any of that data back on the ST16? I knew I had to rebind the controller to the H and the camera, and did that. I'm sorry if I'm not being clear with what I'm asking, but I'm not at all sure myself what it is I want to know. Other than why am I getting the message 'first use need to connect network"?

Right now in the hardware monitor, with maybe 20 minutes total flight time after last fall's factory reset, B1, S1-5, K3, J1-2-3, are all reading normally. K2 goes full bottom, but won't go up past the halfway point on the readout. J4 barely moves up or down scale with gradual move on control stick, will sometimes jump to bottom or top of scale if stick is popped to the right or left. Correspondingly I get very little response from the H or I get a sudden wild bolt when I direct it left or right. With any luck, after we clean the sticks and pots the readouts will normalize and I won't need to reset from the secret menu again. I have tried a couple searches of forum topics looking for information on what to do after the factory reset, but I suspect I'm not asking the right questions because I'm not finding helpful answers..

he pots should have been cleaned with electrical contact cleaner before initiating the reset.
You don't need to clean the sticks for a factory reset. However, if you are going to do an ST16 calibration, you should clean the sticks first.
The sticks tend to get oxidation if the ST16 is not used on a regular basis. The cleaning is the first step and is fairly easy. Before doing it, "stir" the sticks aggressively while watching Hardware Monitor. They may start to function normally.

Okay, thanks. Do the vigorous stirring before using the electronics cleaner. The safe-for-plastics kind. I will add that living out here in the Midwestern cornfield boonies I invested a ridiculous amount of time, energy, gas and shoe leather in the obtainment of that specific variety of electronics cleaner, so it's a toss-up, if the stick stirring does the trick and I don't need to use it, will that make my day or break my heart?

Thanks for the links. I will let you know what happens. I'd go ahead and try it now but my son-in-law is pretty pumped about giving me a hand with this later today.

Linda Kimbrel

My engineer son-in-law and I spent most of Saturday poring over the various testing, calibration and editing modes on the ST16. In the end we did do a factory reset, no amount of physical manipulations had any effect on the lagging J4stick. Also the camera gimbal pan (K2) was restricted to the bottom half of the scale. We are still ironing out some issues after the reset, probably something we overlooked or were not aware of, but overall the maneuverability and control is vastly improved. I'm about resigned to some residual lag with J4. The H will move side to side now at any rate, but the response is still not entirely or dependably proportionate to the input on the stick.

One issue we haven't resolved is the drone itself not showing up on the bind screen. The Cgo+ appears, and we created a new drone model for the purpose of binding the H to the ST16, but we can't select and bind it. The controller searches for a model but neither of the models will show up to select and bind. It is obviously bound to some extent (altho I would think this is an all or nothing state, it either is or it is not bound) because the drone flies and performs on command. However, none of the calibrations will initiate now and that worries me. I don't feel comfortable flying it with zero calibration after a factory reset.

Any ideas what is going on and how to proceed? I have to say troubleshooting the H and the ST16 with an automotive engineer at my elbow was an education all of itself. A lot of " Oh, yeah, yeah, sure" with some 'I'm not seeing how to-where to", a sprinkling of "WTF?", "This is fine" and "Got it!". He enjoyed himself thoroughly.

What you are experiencing with the aircraft not showing up is very common. Put the ST-16 in Team mode and try refreshing to bind again.

What you are experiencing with the aircraft not showing up is very common. Put the ST-16 in Team mode and try refreshing to bind again.
Thanks. I just packed it up to head home but I will give that s shot when I get there. I haven't done this yet, I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to put it in team mode.

LK

Getting back to K2 (gimbal elevation) ... does The recalibration instruction call for centering the sticks, including the sliders, after moving all to their extremes?

I have not performed a recal on an ST16, but the ST16s (H520) specifically states “center each stick upon completion). I missed the gimbal slider once, resulting in exactly the same behavior as the OP has described. Gimbal would not move up higher than about 40 degrees in normal mode (pan switch in center). One head slap later, my next attempt was more successful, and brought full gimbal travel back into play.

Jeff

Last edited:
Getting back to K2 (gimbal elevation) ... does The recalibration instruction call for centering the sticks, including the sliders, once moving all to their extremes?

I have not performed a recal on an ST16, but the ST16s (H520) specifically states “center each stick upon completion). I missed the gimbal slider once, resulting in exactly the same behavior as the OP has described. Gimbal would not move up higher than about 40 degrees in normal mode (pan switch in center). One head slap later, my next attempt should was more successful.

Jeff
Wow. Good question. I have no idea where he left the gimbal slider after the reset. I DO know before the reset he set the K2 start point from the channel settings screen, centering it halfway between the two maximum values. I think that's what he did, just looking over his shoulder. It could be that he didn't re-center the slider after resetting it because now the gimbal won't move past center the other direction. The channel settings graph reads full -100% and nothing on the positive side of the scale when I move K2 through its current full range.

Okay, Trying the rebind from team mode. I selected the model from the home screen model select tab. In the systems setting screen 'SR24S_8766v1.07' appeared in orange under the aircraft model heading. That sounds like a software title or OS version but I guess it could be the H. Tapping 'refresh' brought that model up in white under the orange heading. I selected that model and it turned blue, I tapped 'bind' and got a 'connection established' message. Hit "ok", and now the model field is empty again, unlike the camera side of the field where the CGO3P_722176 appears in white in the field (directly below the orange listing) before and after the rebind

I need to calibrate the gimbal before it burns itself up but I am still unable to get any of the calibrations to initialize. The gimbal keeps trying to tilt even after the gimbal arm physically maxes out against the gimbal mount and can't tilt any farther. The camera doesn't respond to any inputs. I would take the h out and see if it will fire up or lift off but I have to recharge the ST16 first, used up half its juice fiddling around with this binding. But it flew fine Saturday in this same (I think) configuration. I'll let you know what happens later today. For now I need to do grownup and go mow tha lawn.

This drone is gonna make me crazy.

Not sure what I did differently today from yesterday, but I got the drone into bind mode which it was not wanting to do yesterday. Got it and the camera successfully bound, got calibrations initiated and completed. The camera gimbal is happy again, staying at level and not trying to tilt past its maximum range. I think all is good now but far too windy to try a test flight.

This bird really is gonna make me crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval