Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying Characteristics

Reaction score
Hello together,

This is my first post on this forum, and what i write is not intdended to Dislike the TH+. I like it anyway but here is what i really don´t llike about it.

The Drone is way to shaky in flight and overreacts to stick inputs. Specially in SportsMode this is not fine. Even fine stick inputs make the drone
accelerating fast, that leads to this shaky flight. A lot of people from my modelclub are not very confident in my TH+ when they see it fly in Sportmode.
You always have the feeling the drone will crash any minute!

I´m a model flyer for over 15 Years, and i started to love Drones as the Silverlit X-UFO was available.
Since then i build several Drones and got them airborne, from Small Racing Drones up to a big Octocopter, using different Flight Controllers.
I also own a DJI Spark, Mavic Air and know to fly from friens most of the other DJI Drones.
I had the Typhoon H for over 2 Years as i swaped to the new H+. So i do have good knowledge and the feeling for how a Drone can fly very
smooth even with GPS supported flight modes.
I contacted Yuneec custumer support with this issue, but no response. I know a other guy in a german forum that complains about the same issue,
but all reactions from the other pilots seem to be that he is to demanding, but I totaly agree with him.
So the hope is that Yuneec will adress this to developement team to make the H+ a even better Drone that it is now.

In Manuale Mode, the Typhoon H+ flies like charm, not that fast as in sportsmode, but absolutely smooth. This is the way the GPS supported flight mode
should also do!

Anyway i like the drone and gave Yuneec another try!

Hello together,

This is my first post on this forum, and what i write is not intdended to Dislike the TH+. I like it anyway but here is what i really don´t llike about it.

The Drone is way to shaky in flight and overreacts to stick inputs. Specially in SportsMode this is not fine. Even fine stick inputs make the drone
accelerating fast, that leads to this shaky flight. A lot of people from my modelclub are not very confident in my TH+ when they see it fly in Sportmode.
You always have the feeling the drone will crash any minute!

I´m a model flyer for over 15 Years, and i started to love Drones as the Silverlit X-UFO was available.
Since then i build several Drones and got them airborne, from Small Racing Drones up to a big Octocopter, using different Flight Controllers.
I also own a DJI Spark, Mavic Air and know to fly from friens most of the other DJI Drones.
I had the Typhoon H for over 2 Years as i swaped to the new H+. So i do have good knowledge and the feeling for how a Drone can fly very
smooth even with GPS supported flight modes.
I contacted Yuneec custumer support with this issue, but no response. I know a other guy in a german forum that complains about the same issue,
but all reactions from the other pilots seem to be that he is to demanding, but I totaly agree with him.
So the hope is that Yuneec will adress this to developement team to make the H+ a even better Drone that it is now.

In Manuale Mode, the Typhoon H+ flies like charm, not that fast as in sportsmode, but absolutely smooth. This is the way the GPS supported flight mode
should also do!

Anyway i like the drone and gave Yuneec another try!

Perhaps you purchased a busted mode? Mine is buttery smooth even in sports mode! Took it to the University yesterday and several other UAS students were super impressed how smoother it was! Sorry but it sounds like you ended up with a “Lemon” :(

This is what i thought first. So i decided to give the Typhoon back to the vendor.
I ordererd a new Drone from another vendor with exactly the same shaky flight characteristic.
After the first test flight with the unit, i decided to give this one back also. The Vendor offered me
a replacement instead. So give Yuneec another try was my thought and received this new Drone.
(The 3rd) with exactly the same bad behaviour. So my thoughts where that it must be intended to be so.

Some other guy posted a link to the PX4 wiki site, where this characteristic is explained as "The NEW Feature" for
better Position Hold :-(

I´m confused

I have had the possibility to fly the H Plus from a friend. I tried the Sport Mode and can confirm that this is a disadvantage of the Sport Mode. If you left the sticks alone, the GPS position hold is very agressive. The copter stops immediately. This is so far not a safety problem, but it looks not good.

I have a Blade 350QX (SW also from Yuneec). The Agility mode (something like the Sport mode) is much better. The GPS Position hold starts after ~1sec after you left the sticks in center position. This looks smoother and the feeling for the pilot is better. I would like to have this behaviour (the Agility flight mode) for my Q500 of for the H / H+.

br HE

I can see if it did not brake this sharp we then start to see messages in the forum of:
My H + does not stop quick enough, it drifts to far after letting go of the sticks.
As a first adopter of the 520 and H+ I can tell you that the 520 got lots of complaints about not braking hard enough. I would assume Yuneec took this on board when making the H+

Purely guessing though

I can see if it did not brake this sharp we then start to see messages in the forum of:
My H + does not stop quick enough, it drifts to far after letting go of the sticks.
As a first adopter of the 520 and H+ I can tell you that the 520 got lots of complaints about not braking hard enough. I would assume Yuneec took this on board when making the H+

Purely guessing though

I'm just curious with the new quieter design do you suppose that the poor breaking has something to do with the new blade design ?

I’m wishing that Yuneec has a curves option to tone down the rates a bit, because it flies like it’s high on coke. Even on RTH mode it’s hellish.

I'm just curious with the new quieter design do you suppose that the poor breaking has something to do with the new blade design ?

Not at all. The braking function occurs with ESC switching. Any prop could be used with ESC programming adapted to suit propeller capability.

I find negative comments about aircraft with aggressive handling capability built into them sort of amusing. If a sports car is made someone will fault it for not handling like a luxury sedan. If a soft riding luxury sedan is made someone will complain because the handling is too soft. If you make a vehicle where the owner can choose between soft or sporty they’ll want the in between. If they see a jiggle in the aircraft they won’t look to see that jiggle wasn’t telegraphed to the video, which will be smooth as silk.

I remember when they started “detuning” the original H, and continued on that path with successive firmware updates. For me the original H lost much of what I loved about it in those actions. I wanted the sports car with a wide speed range and a gimbal that dampened out the impacts on imagery from that kind of maneuverability. I foresee similar happening with the Plus, which will provide pause for many that don’t have problems flying an aircraft to reconsider buying one.

I don´t talk about the aggressive breaking when you release the sticks. That is fine this way. I´m concerned about the way it moves while you move the stick linear to the maximal position.
Every little shake you do with the finger while playing around with the stick command leads to a shake in the drone. This is extremly when trying to fly a curve.
When you just pull the stick full to the edge and fly it´s fine.
Anyway it´s just a little unpleasant, apart from that overall i like the TH+
I even don´t complain about crapy JPG´s as some users do. I like the quality it produces!
The Manual mode is a big step in the right direction!

Reactions: h-elsner
I do believe makers should leave the door open for owners to tailor flight characteristics to their particular style. Those that build their own, that understand FC and transmitter set up do exactly that. The down side of an open performance profile comes with those that don’t have that knowledge yet.

Who gets to put them back to the original baselines when they get messed up? It can’t be the manufacturer unless they can charge for their time. Forums such as this can be extremely helpful but often those in desperate need of instruction either don’t understand the directions, do things out of sequence, or get in a hurry, skip critical steps and make things worse instead of better. So the question is; how does a manufacturer release a product that can please all who buy it?

So the question is; how does a manufacturer release a product that can please all who buy it?
The answer is:

start by marketing a product, which on its release, has at least the same functions as its predecessor the H480, such as:

The NO GPS function (it's done, but why not at the beginning)
Manual calibrations (it's done, but the camera is missing)
NFZ management
The setting of the ST16 rates
Using the trim (cruise) function
A GUI
A download update on site with possibilities to easily return to the previous version if worries.

This model could have been called Typhoon H MOINS. We were presented in January 2018 and the number of bug is not tolerable for a derivative of the 520.

To return to the flight, the behavior at the end of the fast trajectory is not proportional to the position of the sticks. You are at a speed of 30km / h for example, and you want to stop smoothly to avoid a sudden tilting of the machine during braking. Well, we do not get there in high speeds.

it lacks progressivity in the regulation of braking. It even looks like a zone of sticks is not operational.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot and Barton
You can’t have fast braking without tilt. Those that understand the basic principles of multirotor flight know that. Until they come out with motor assemblies that individually tilt to control directional flight other than “up” our aircraft have to tilt to move laterally. The faster the desired lateral movement the more they tilt.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
You can’t have fast braking without tilt. Those that understand the basic principles of multirotor flight know that. Until they come out with motor assemblies that individually tilt to control directional flight other than “up” our aircraft have to tilt to move laterally. The faster the desired lateral movement the more they tilt.
It's been 10 years since I made multirotors (not assembled, but manufactured, I insist), even the H480 does not have this behavior. The braking is not proportional to the inclination of the stick, it's simple, there is a blurred area.
There is only one to try one, you will see

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Both my H-480’s and 920 demonstrate a given amount of tilt during braking, with the amount of tilt proportional to how quickly the sticks are released. If throttle is reversed during a full throttle run the tilt can be severe.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Both my H-480’s and 920 demonstrate a given amount of tilt during braking, with the amount of tilt proportional to how quickly the sticks are released. If throttle is reversed during a full throttle run the tilt can be severe.
I have to write badly in English, so we do not understand each other

We will end up on the same page at some point in time.

Look at it this way, if the forum was published in your home language I would be the one using a translator. Folks in Europe have an advantage over us as they generally can converse in more languages than we do. You folks often speak several languages while we often struggle with just our own.

Reactions: Darksmile

I never thought about it I'm not really into speed but it makes sense if the whole motor tips then I guess the Drone will remain level.

We will end up on the same page at some point in time.

Look at it this way, if the forum was published in your home language I would be the one using a translator. Folks in Europe have an advantage over us as they generally can converse in more languages than we do. You folks often speak several languages while we often struggle with just our own.
I use Google translate

To return to the flight, the behavior at the end of the fast trajectory is not proportional to the position of the sticks. You are at a speed of 30km / h for example, and you want to stop smoothly to avoid a sudden tilting of the machine during braking. Well, we do not get there in high speeds.

it lacks progressivity in the regulation of braking. It even looks like a zone of sticks is not operational.

I tend to see what @oliver is saying, I think. I might try to put it this way, it seems at the upper end of the stick movement in Sport Mode - Fast Rate, that there is a point at which there is a massive hit of power (or braking) depending on which input is being given. To those that understand rate curves, I would guess the last 30% of stick movement controls about 50 to 60% of what is available. I have found that when in Sport Mode, it is better to start out with the rate slider at slow - push and hold the right stick to a given point, using your palm to bridge to the joystick well so you can maintain a precise stick movement then for more speed - dial the rate slider up.

Personally, I can live with it as it since I don't spend a lot of time at 40 MPH but if Yuneec were to lessen that curve just a little, to make it a little more linear - at least in Sport mode, or maybe only in Sporty Mode, that might be the bees knees.

Reactions: oliver and Barton

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
essentailhoodie