Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying with gps off with typhoon 4k

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if You could share any tips about flying 4k with gps disabled ?
I tried few times but my pressure is really high when attempting to do that :)
I need to learn to fly it with gps disabled in order to pass the exam for UAV.
And dont want to break it.
Regards

Reactions: AussieCate
Flying without GPS is very similar to flying in angle mode, it just drifts much more without the GPS,,,also if going full speed ahead be careful because the Q likes to angle downward and will also try to go downward so be prepared to give extra altitude.
It is VERY fast without GPS also, some say they got up to 50 MPH,,,also there is NO RTH fuction or smart mode,, just a pilot and his (or her ) skills !!!
There are a few YOU TUBE videos of people flying without GPS you might want to checkout..
Good luck on your exam..(I bet its the only exam you've ever loved studying for !! lol )

Thanks :D, yep I already checked them out, but wanted to hear a bit guide from somebody that already flown him before. I tried already few times in the building flying without gps and it was crazy a bit. Maybe I got used too much to gps on mode, there is also possibillity that the accelerometer was not callibrated and thats why it did not keep straight. And about the exam, hmmm I think it would even nicer if I would have more free time to do it :) You know time is running out, not much of free one ;) its not good to rush when learning to fly and thats why need to ask ppl:D Thanks again. Need to over come my frightness from previous sessions and try it out on fresh air, heard its easier, but dunno how come, maybe because of no wall barriers that model could crash into :D

WATCH THE TREEEEEES,,,,, they come up quick..... and your flying indoors :eek:,,,, lol oh **** ...
TAKE THAT BEAST OUTSIDE !!!! no camera needed, just take it easy and bank your turns,,,,lots of fun without GPS....just need to be pretty skilled when maxing it out !!! :cool:

Regards
Honestly, I would advise learning on a cheap $50 drone before risking your expensive machine.

Regards
piotr, what UAV exam? My understanding is that there is no legal/recognized UAV certification to date. To operate commercially pilot must have a manned aircraft pilots license. Curious as to what your talking about

Yep in Poland for other than recreational and sport usage of unmanned aircrafts You need to have license to fly UAVO in VLOS or BVLOS (another exam) for cartain MTOW category. -2 -7 -25 Kg
Piotr

Get the Yuneec flight Simulator!
UAV PILOT
USB Stick - Carolina Dronz for $35 and it's in stock or from Yuneec.com $30
Software - UAV Pilot Archive - Yuneec (FREE download, no bugs, works fine.
and thanks for the advice, unfortunately I already follow the other answer to buy sth cheaper and I bought it and I am waiting for somekind of nano copter :) Will have some fun with than I will see. I have the exam on friday so not much time left. Anyway I will consider Your advice in the future.

Flying with no GPS requires the pilot to be able to fly in all orientations without panicking :eek:. One wrong input could result in crash especially when flying indoors with objects to avoid. Machine is going to require more stick inputs to remain in a hover.

My main back ground is flying 3d rc helicopters so flying a H or 4k with no GPS at trade shows in a 10x10 or 15' circular demo cage is no issue :D. And yes I can pirouette in both directions in a 10x10...fun stuff!

• Wow
Flying with no GPS requires the pilot to be able to fly in all orientations without panicking :eek:. One wrong input could result in crash especially when flying indoors with objects to avoid. Machine is going to require more stick inputs to remain in a hover.

My main back ground is flying 3d rc helicopters so flying a H or 4k with no GPS at trade shows in a 10x10 or 15' circular demo cage is no issue :D. And yes I can pirouette in both directions in a 10x10...fun stuff!

I tried it for the first time yesterday, and after 1 minute I decided that things were not going to end well with minor breeze that I had, coupled with never having done it before. Got it back to a safe landing area and turned GPS back on. Next zero wind day I'll try again.

I tried it for the first time yesterday, and after 1 minute I decided that things were not going to end well with minor breeze that I had, coupled with never having done it before. Got it back to a safe landing area and turned GPS back on. Next zero wind day I'll try again.

Baby steps and you'll get it down. Nose in is the difficult part...your brain and fingers must be on the same page ;)

Regards
Open area, calm day.... I removed my 4k camera in case i crashed. The drifting because of slight breeze is something you must watch constantly. If you are going to capture video, I would suggest going up first with GPS on, then tweak your video camera settings to your liking, then when you are flying without GPS you won't have to worry about camera settings and only concentrate on flying copter. I hope that helps.

Pick up a blade nano QX or similar before learning how to fly with your Typhoon. My 4k will arrive tomorrow but I still practice everyday on the QX. I am not confident enough at this point to fly it without electronic assistance. :D

yes the blade nano QX is a great learning quad , no GPS , no smart mode but it will hover , a full RTF nano go's for about $69.00 , it' will take a beating , you can crash it ,fly into walls and doors and you cannot hurt it . you will learn how to fly the correct way , fly's indoors and on a calm day outdoors just as well .
like any quad start slow , small stick movement , learn to fly low then at eye level and before you know it every thing will come normal to you, we all have to learn to crawl before we run . have fun .
fly safe

Reactions: MacTech

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval