Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gatwick flights suspended after reports of drones over runway

Sadly you are probably right. Fortunately for me, I live something like 200 miles away from Gatwick.
I'm intending to be doing some flying in Wales on Christmas day. Because the weather forecast is looking like it's going to be alright weatherwise. I'm fully expecting comments or even abuse if Joe public happens along whilst I'm flying. I'm going to try and stay out of the public gaze and hopefully, at the time I'll be flying everyone will be full of Christmas dinner and beer! I'll take the wife me. She'll deck anyone that gets too lairy!

Reports are getting terribly unreliable. But it appears they were at least 4 miles away from the airport. flying at night in the lashing rain....

Reality seems to be causing this side of the story to be falling apart quickly. Even if the drones were “hardened” to enable flight in heavy rain it takes a lot of rf power to overcome signal attenuation in order to remotely control them on the 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies used. I’ve done it with military grade stuff but signal power was a heck of a lot higher than milliwatt level.

Reactions: Ren57
Reports are getting terribly unreliable. But it appears they were at least 4 miles away from the airport. flying at night in the lashing rain....
Part of the counter measures, looks like a top box for car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181222-181237~2.png
    Screenshot_20181222-181237~2.png
    793.1 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: airborne
Flights now resuming, great for all the stranded / delayed folk! This story line has decayed over the hours without significant evidence and thin logic; last month the ordeal with UK Police unit’s battery issue that fell silent and the FW updates pushed to correct many identified as malware. Drones in multiple tangents getting negative attention in the U.K. ... all just off in logic & smell.

Temporary scapegoats used as reasons to resume “safe” operations at the airport. They’ll likely get released without charges and some small statement saying they weren’t the ones responsible and the search for the perpetrators will continue. They have to apprehend someone, anyone, in order to convince the public their safety is no longer threatened. 24 hours after the airport resumes ops the public will no longer think about their safety, only about getting from here to there, and releasing the innocent won’t generate any notice.

That Thule car top carrier was a good one[emoji849][emoji2960]

Reactions: Ren57
What the authorities might have done was searched social media sites for someone with an RC or drone history that lived in the airport area on the chance they “might” be able to pin it on them. For those of us that fly this stuff we’ve just been given great cause to save all of our telemetry. Anyone that deletes telemetry without saving to file elsewhere could someday run into problems due to gaps in flight history.

If you fly DJI you better believe they have it too, regardless of what you thought you might have opted out of. If the alleged perps were flying DJI systems you can bet your backside DJI has already handed over names, addresses, cell phone numbers, and telemetry.

Last edited:
Reactions: thoneter and Ren57
It's turning into a comedy type pantomime that we are famous for in the UK! Really? Does anyone believe this BS?

Me, I've just returned from a UK night out with my mates. They're not drone flyers but even they think this is all BS. Me, I'm full of beer at the moment and am unable to make a real contribution to the conversation. I'll see you all tomorrow:D

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Anyone here old enough to remember the Orson Wells radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds?

I wasn't around but it was often brought up in school - people committing suicide and barricading themselves in their homes. Straight up nuts.

People are lazy, gullible, generally followers and want to be led. They’ve come to believe what they read or hear in the news is true without having anything to support what they were told. Tell them the same thing often enough and it becomes “true” even if it started as a lie. It’s how billions of people are able to be ruled by only a few thousand. Orson Wells caused a nation wide panic all by himself.

Reactions: thoneter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diagram overseer